Help with Smart carry

Help with Smart carry

This is a discussion on Help with Smart carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just got a Smartcarry but I just can't make it comfortable. I put it lower, to the right or left of center and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Smart carry

So I just got a Smartcarry but I just can't make it comfortable. I put it lower, to the right or left of center and it still pushes into my abdomen no matter I do when I sit down. What am I doing wrong?

I'm actually wearing it at 3 or 5 O'clock now- terrible on the draw but actually comfortable.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    What weapon are you using the smartcarry with?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    3 or 5 oclock isn't the way it's designed to work. It needs to be right over your crotch. I carry a 642 in mine on occasion and find it comfortable. Can't say how it would feel with a larger gun.. I'm sure you read the instructions that came with it, so why are you wearing it at 3:00? What size gun are you using.?

Assistant Administrator
    It would help to know the gun - and whether the SmartCarry is sized to suit.

Of course too there are build factors plus style of pants - but if you do not use hip-huggers and have SmartCarry ''belt'' not too tight, it should sit fine in the ''special place''.

I got mine (occasional use only) originally for my P95 . and that takes some space . but even now I can put my EDC 226 inside and get it set up to suit.

All that said I am not as practiced as some because of very occasional use and, it is not perfectly comfortable. It is tho manageable and suits when 'deep'' means deep. I think other folks do find also that turning it a bit this way or that does help - in essence, whatever works. The draw will by default anyways be slow - par for the course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hk P2000 Sk

Assistant Administrator
    Well if SmartCarry big enough and calling this effectively full size ... you should be Ok but as I said - in the end it's down to what works!!

Experiment.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The only time I wear my smart carry is when I am in a kilt..can't get access otherwise.

I know 3 O'clock isn't the way it was meant to be carried but it actually works pretty good- slow draw but better than nothing at this point.

I still haven't really heard any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or how I could make it not push into my abdomen. Any ideas?

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    My only thoughts as to why your abdomen is hurting is that you don't have the straps of the SC low enough. It is designed to be worn with straps around your hips, with the firearm only about an inch or two off center. Also, try not to slouch....that pushes your abdomen downward against the grip of the gun.
    Very often I carry at 3 o'clock; G-26, G-19 / Smartcarry, and I lift the grip just above belt-line. This makes draw pretty easy and yet keeps the gun very well concealed.

Trouble I find with most IWB holsters is that the firearm sticks up too high and as a result prints a gun profile. By lowering the gun, you still have enough to grab, and your pants belt holds the grip very close to the body.......without printing.

When I put the SC really low then when I sit down you can totally see the barrel- like I have an upside down hard-on.

Are you wearing really tight pants?

Here's a link to the Glock forum discussion on the Smart Carry:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770743

no I don't wear tight pants- it even is uncomfortable when I'm wearing sweats.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have two and have used them alot but let's be real; it's the size of the gun. Guys, there's only so much room down there and to have a chunk of something slung between your legs over your crotch is inherently uncomfortable. Problem is you only hear about how guys do martial arts in smart carry!!! Don't get me wrong, I like mine and use it when conditions warrant but I'm carrying a P3AT or a J frame. The bigger the guy, (over all person size ) the more hardware they can carry down there. Smart Carry is a neat idea but a very limited one. Charlie (from the smart carry site) shows himself carrying a 1911. I know some guys can do that but let's be realistic, that would poke just about anyone sitting! So accept the limitations of what is a very useful method of carrying. Each persons anatomy is different so we all end up with a box of holsters unitil we settle on the "handful" that work for us.
    God Bless
    Gideon

I used a SmartCarry for 4 years...everyday until I got a 1911 and a Versa Max II...I started with a Beretta 96 Vertec...it was too big, not too big for the holster...too big for me too conceal.
    Then I tried it with a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact...that worked pretty good.
    Unless you like wearing REALLY loose pants you are going to need either a thin gun (1911...which is what Charlie designed the SC for) or a short gun (Bersa UC)...this all depends on your body type...the SmartCarry is a good holster and it does work...but just like all the rest...within limits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links