Crossbreed / M-Tac comparison wanted

This is a discussion on Crossbreed / M-Tac comparison wanted within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Crossbreed IWB holster and I like it, but, I've been reading many positive reviews of the M-tac. Since I need a holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbreed / M-Tac comparison wanted

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Crossbreed / M-Tac comparison wanted

I have a Crossbreed IWB holster and I like it, but, I've been reading many positive reviews of the M-tac. Since I need a holster for my G-19/G-26 I'm thinking of getting the M-Tac IWB.
    Does anyone have both....how do they compare?

2. Remove Ads

I have both. This is my opinion and experience. The Crossbreed is by far more comfortable. I strapped on the MTAC last night and took it off before leaving the house. If you have been researching them, you know that the MTAC has shells that can be swapped out for other model/brands of guns. This is what makes the MTAC uncomfortable. They have to use double leather in certain sections of the holster for the mounting. They have to utilize kydex or plastic between these two pieces of leather for the shell swap out feature. The only area flexible is the area around the mounting clips - this is the only area that can mold or break in to the contours of your body. Comp-Tac has excellent, and I mean excellent customer service. But their holsters are not that comfortable. People who own the MTAC will swear by them - but most have not tried a Crossbreed. I have also tried some of the higher end holsters. They might look better, but they do not feel better or wear. If you are still intrigued by the MTAC, give them a call and inquire about a trail period. As stated before, their (Comp-Tac) customer service is impeccable. Again - jmo & experience.

I have both, but I prefer the M-Tac. There are two reasons:

1 -- The M-Tac Kydex component is better made
    2 -- The "extra lather" mentioned above is a good thing. It provides more padding. And, by the way, also better quality leather...

Even just looking at them you can tell that the Crossbreed is just a piece of bent Kydex cruedly attached to the leather backing. On the other hand, with the M-Tac the two parts have been designed to work together in a more refined manner.

I hope this helps.

FD
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

I agree with FD above. Take a look at the backside of the Crossbreed that rides against your body. Plenty of metal there. I prefer the M Tac, nothing but nice leather up against the body. They take a day or two to mold themselves to your shape, then you won't even know it's there. I think it is much better made than the Crossbreed, which is a piece of single ply leather with a piece of kydex riveted to it.

I agree with FiringDragon & sass20485. I much prefer the Mtac. I can carry a pistol twice as big, more comfortable with it.

Here is a review I did over on SigForum:

"I have both. I bought the MTAC the first week it was introduced. Mine is for a S&W M&P fullsize and is extremely comfortable. I can wear it all day long with out a problem. I just recently recieved the Crossbread for my Kahr PM9. I wanted something tuckable for work and was going to get another MTAC, but hit a great sale on the Crossbread. It is not quite broken in yet, but straight out of the box, not as comfortable as the MTAC. The CB is thinner, but that is not necesarilly a good thing. The gun seems to dig into your side more. The CB has way to much leather on the top, so you can not get a good grip on the pistol. The clips on the CB are nice, but the end piece that extends down below the pants, while very stable, is to wide and deep, thus a huge red flag when trying to tuck for concealment.

Overall I like the MTAC way better, but the sale on the Crossbread was to hard to pass up. I will probably sell the CB in the future and order another MTAC."

I also like the MTAC better
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

I haven't used a Crossbreed, but I carry either my G26 or my G19 in a MTAC slide all the time and for me it is very comfortable once it was broken in.

The leather is only one layer thick in the area of the gun's slide. So I agree that the extra leather would contribute to comfort for most people and I think without compromising the width of the holster.

So for me, yeah, it may have been a little stiff at first, but once it broke in it's sweet.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Thanks for the reviews....I'd really like to give the M-tac a try. I like the idea that you can adjust height and cant.

You won't be sorry. Order today, you'll have it by the weekend. I LOVE mine !!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    You won't be sorry. Order today, you'll have it by the weekend. I LOVE mine !!
    I hope you're right. I ordered an MTAC today, and got an email back saying that "Total production and processing time is about one week."
    Guess we'll find out...
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

I have a Crossbreed. It took me awhile to get used to it and I went thru every style of clip they had until settling on the most recent. I live in Miami FL and I have to say, for hot weather carry, this holster makes it so comfortable to carry a full sized Sig P226R that I completely forget I'm wearing a very big weapon. Serious guns for serious times. Yet the draw is smooth and fast. I'm thinking of getting one for my Glock M27. In fact I'm almost certain I will. The price is very good, too!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have both and prefer the M-TAC. In reality, both work fine, but considering the pricing, the M-TAC seems like a significantly superior product IMO.

-john

Pluses for the Crossbreed.

- Kydex molded flush to leather which results in easier draw w/o break-in.
    - Rough side of leather towards skin. Prevents movement better.
    - Black. Better color IMO for CC. Less likely someone will catch a flash.
    - Thinner leather and type of design doesn't really require break-in.

Minuses for Crossbreed.

- Cheezy clips. Replaced with ones from C-TAC.
    - Kydex, while functional, is thinner and not nearly as well finished as M-TAC.
    - 'Cut' gets in the way of a good grip. A number of people are trimming theirs.
    - Don't prefer the open bottom.
    - Some 'creaking'.

Pluses for M-TAC.

- Much nicer two-piece leather.
    - Much nicer molded Kydex. Heavier too.
    - Much better clips.
    - Good grip.
    - Even though I prefer black, the color is very pleasant.
    - More refined hardware.

Minuses for M-TAC.

- Requires break-in for optimal comfort and draw.
    - Kydex 'floats' on one side, making it more susceptible to draw issues. This eases up a lot after break-in, but a fully enclosed approach like the Crossbreed reduces the potential issue.
    - Smooth side of leather towards you (mostly). Not really a problem, but I prefer the rough side towards me for extra security.
    - Not available in black.
    - Some 'creaking'.
    Last edited by bzdog; December 18th, 2007 at 11:01 AM.

I tried a Comptac CTAC last year. It didn't work for me because the standard clips will not fit over a Wildnerness belt. The folks at Comptac admitted at the time that was a problem with their standard clips.

I just received a Crossbreed Supertuck today. It was shipped very fast, around a week to get here. My initial feelings on it are it's going to work very well for my HK USP compact. The "cheesey" clips that came with it fit the Wilderness belt quite nicely, and I also got the J hooks. Both styles fit the Wilderness belt just fine and it's very comfortable in the early going. I will be wearing it more later in the week to get a better handle on how it's going to work. But, I'm already leaning toward ordering another one for my CZ P-01.

From what I can tell from pictures, the CrossBreed (with the clips it comes with) does not allow for adjustment of the cant angle. Is that correct? Someone mentioned they bought CompTac clips. I guess that would allow for adjustment.

One other thing, I have a C-TAC with the old style standard clips. I wear it with a Wilderness belt and they fit just fine. And, they are a lot shorter than the new version. The new version look like they are more prone to poke into your side.

The Crossbreed has holes on the leather behind the clips for its adjustments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links