which serpa holster?

This is a discussion on which serpa holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a bit confused by the variety of SERPA holsters available on the blackhawk web site. I hear alot about the CQC but I'm not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which serpa holster?

which serpa holster?

I'm a bit confused by the variety of SERPA holsters available on the blackhawk web site. I hear alot about the CQC but I'm not even seeing that one on their site.

Which model/style is best for regular CCW concealment?

On a side note, how difficult is it to conceal a SERPA holster compared to a leather pancake holster (what I've used in the past).

2. Remove Ads

I have a level 2 SERPA. It can be concealed, but you may wanna have a sweatshirt, lightweight jacket or something that hangs a little below the waist line.

I have never used a pancake holster, yet, but I am thinking of getting a kramer holster for my G29. I am a lean guy....and since my pants are always about 4 inches too big in the waist, IWB wont be a problem.

I love my blackhawk but it doesn't conform to you like a leather holster will. I find its harder to conceal, but if you wear some type of loose over shirt (I prefer the button up woolrich discreet carry or hawaiian style shirts) it disappears even with a large gun (I carry a beretta 92, government 1911 or sig 226). You jus thave to make sure you have a good belt.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I don't own one, but from everything I see they look to ride low. Too low for me for concealed carry. Not that I would use a plastic holster anyhow.

I've got the high side level 2 Serpa for my S&W M&P9 full size but there was a recall because someone had an AD when they holstered it. Blackhawk was very responsive and said they would mail me a replacement and I needed to return mine. I think they had 1 incident of this happening and for the life of me, I can't see how that would happen. I've shot practical/tactical events without an issue.

I have a CQC level II Serpa holster for my Glocks. It accepts my 19,23 and 27. With the tension screw tightened and the retention button on the side, the holster provides good retention IMO. The draw is very fast. But it is not a great concealment holster. I use it in the winter with a heavy coat sometimes.

For better concealment you would want a pancake style or an IWB. Something that rides closer to your body. The Serpa has the grip of the weapon sticking out a bit. This is great for establishing a good grip but poor for concealment.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have a CQC level 2 that I carry constantly. Though my daily attire usually requires a suit/sports coat. Though for summer I still keep an IWB or pancake. If you are able to wear jackets or loose shirts, then it is a great holster for the price.

Lead Moderator
    I have 2 serpa level II holsters. They do stick out a bit more than a pancake holster. I use mine in the winter , since MI is cold anyway. A coat or jacket , or loose sweatshirt is required to conceal em.
    you can buy them is a few configurations. I only use the paddle , I find the belt slide puts too much weight on a small area on my waist.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Was it you Rocky? Somebody on DC said that the paddle attachment method pulls in a bit closer to the body than the belt loops.
    The holsters are furnished with both BTW.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Was it you Rocky? Somebody on DC said that the paddle attachment method pulls in a bit closer to the body than the belt loops.
    The holsters are furnished with both BTW.
    Yes, the paddle does seem to hold the holster tighter. However , depending on which package you buy it may or may not come with a belt slide (sportster pack. comes with only the paddle). I'll see if I can get a few pics tonight of me wearing the holster with different attachments.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

What's this talk about a "level 2" SERPA? They are all level two except the duty version. Could be wrong.

Anyways, I have a SERPA holster for my 1911s. I'd have to wear a jacket to conceal it. I mainly got it for active retention for "other methods of carry". I like it.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    What's this talk about a "level 2" SERPA? They are all level two except the duty version. Could be wrong.

Anyways, I have a SERPA holster for my 1911s. I'd have to wear a jacket to conceal it. I mainly got it for active retention for "other methods of carry". I like it.
    BH also makes a non lock button version. I think we are trying to clarify which holster is being discussed.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Never knew that. Thought it was the normal SERPA with lock and then the duty model with the hood.

Tubby45 you are correct, I have both of them one for my SIG220's and one for my 1911's. Normally I use a ITP holster but it is good at matches and at the range.

The "other methods of carry" was a hint at open carry, which is looked down upon on this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links