Do you conceal with the Galco Concealable?

This is a discussion on Do you conceal with the Galco Concealable? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about getting a Galco Concealable holster for two of my favorites, the Glock 30 & Glock 26. My reasoning is that its ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you conceal with the Galco Concealable?

Do you conceal with the Galco Concealable?

I am thinking about getting a Galco Concealable holster for two of my favorites, the Glock 30 & Glock 26. My reasoning is that its an OWB holster with a generous forward cant. I personally have never handled this particular holster and would like some feedback from those who has chosen this holster to conceal their EDC weapon. One of my main concerns is the level at which it rides on the waist, of course comfort would be a concern as well. What ever information you can share with me will be greatly appreciated and of course pictures are a huge visual bonus.

2. Remove Ads

I have one for my 1911 5" and I like it and was thinking of getting another one for my new SP101. Impact guns has them for $75 and change with free shipping.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I had a Concealable that I used with a Glock 19 for a while, and the holster is very comfortable and concealable, as most pancakes are.

Unfortunately, the holster isn't cut straight across the top, but rather has kind of a peak so that it goes over part of the grip. On the ones for a Glock, and some other models, this is very pronounced, and this peak area is very thin and unsupported, both front and back.

What happened to me is that one time while re-holstering in a hurry the muzzle of the gun caught the back peak and folded it down so that it was jammed into the holster with the gun. I pulled it out right away, but the leather was permanently stressed and softened, and the back part had a tendency to sag forward and interfere with holstering the gun, unless I used both hands or very slowly inserted the muzzle of the gun and pushed the back part out of the way. The holster was ruined and I had to quit using it.

I had a second Concealable in a different color and never had a problem with that one, once I realized I had to be careful when holstering the gun, but I haven't bought another since. The fit and draw were fine after the initial break in, so you shouldn't have a problem as long as you're careful with that fragile opening.

This illustrates one of the big differences between the custom stuff and a mass produced holster. The Concealable is a great design on paper, but the finished product falls far short of the potential due to the cheap materials used. I now use only custom made holsters and try to get models with reinforced mouthbands, and/or very stiff high quality leather.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Whenever I buy a new gun that is intended for ccw, one of my holsters is GUARANTEED to be a "Concealable." Simply the most comfortable OWB holster that also presents the perfect draw angle (for me). As an NRA Instructor I recommend this to those ccw students of mine who inquire about gear.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My Galco Concealable (A below) sticks out from my side making it less concealable than my Galco Combat Master (B below).

America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I use one for my Glock 19. It's comfortable but the back corner of the slide prints fairly easily with it - the grip doesn't seem to have that problem though. You'll have to play around some and find the best position for concealment on your particular body frame. Overall, for an off the shelf holster I think it does a good job of securely carrying and concealing a pistol but if you're looking for custom quality leather you might be a little disappointed.
    Jack

VIP Member
    I have & more importantly USE 4 of them. I have them for full sized 1911, Commander size 1911, Glock 23 & Sig 229. I got them before the prices went up....the highest I paid was $64.00.....now they are quite a bit more......

I also have one of the Combat Master (for 1911s), both styles I like. The Concealable is more comfortable, but the Combat Master hides it better.....although the difference is minor.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Three problems with Galco Concealable

I bought a Galco Concealable once for a Glock 19, and discovered three problems with the holster. The first was the problem that Andy W. pointed out above - the back of the holster is flat rather than contoured, so it does not hold the gun as tight against the side as a contoured holster does.

The second problem is the cant angle, which is greater than most holsters. This tends to pop the back of the slide on a Glock away from the body so that it sticks out and will print on your cover garment.

The third problem is that the leather used is fairly thin and flimsy, and the mouth of the holster is not reinforced, so that it can collapse or bend on reholstering, as a previous poster mentioned above.

For the price of the Galco Concealable you can do much better with another brand of holster.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I have a few! Yes, I use them mostly in the cooler weather, they conceal easily.

Sorry to disagree pogo but I have not had any of the problems you listed and I think the cant causes the grip of my Glock to print less!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

One man's holster is in another man's drawer. Holsters are highly personal, buy one and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, move on, preferably to a custom maker.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Thumbs up

I have one for my G27, and it's my favorite OWB rig by far! It hides well for me, and I can reholster easily.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Concealable fit

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Sorry to disagree pogo but I have not had any of the problems you listed and I think the cant causes the grip of my Glock to print less!

Thumper - Your first photo illustrates my point. Notice how far the rear of the slide (near the rear sights) is from your side. It is sticking out about an inch. Ideally the three end points of the gun (muzzle, grip end, rear of slide) should be in contact or very close to your body for best concealment.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I carry a HK P2000SK in the Concealble. It conceals as well as most any OWB will. It rides comfortably and fits the pistol perfectly. I use it with a Galco COPS belt. The angle of rake does push the rear of the slide out at a point, but that's what a cover garb is for. I don't loose sleep worring about printing. The draw is fast and easy and in that regard the Concealable is perhaps the best holster I own (and that's several). Quality wise, I find no fault with any of the Galco products I own. They compare very well with other brands and custom made. I'm an old fat guy, (so IWB is out), I've carried since 1975, about five different guns and many different holsters. The Concealable ranks as one of the best. Here's a pic...
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have both the Concealable and the Combat Master. The Concealable is a decent enough holster but the Combat Master does a better job of snugging the gun in to my body and makes for better concealment IMO.

I have one for a Commander and it the cant is way too much for my body shape. I can't draw it comfortably and the grip and back of the slide stick way out from my waist. I have a small waist and short torso, so these problems are probably just me. If you have a similar build, I wouldn't recommend one.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links