How safe is elastic holster w/ chambered round?

This is a discussion on How safe is elastic holster w/ chambered round? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry with a round in the chamber using an elastic holster? Specifically, I'm concerned about this with the bellyband I use- I just ...

Thread: How safe is elastic holster w/ chambered round?

How safe is elastic holster w/ chambered round?

Does anyone carry with a round in the chamber using an elastic holster? Specifically, I'm concerned about this with the bellyband I use- I just don't feel confident enough in it to carry chambered, but would like to do so if this is unfounded. This applies to other cloth or elastic holsters as well.

If you were carrying in something other than formed leather or kydex, would you keep a round in the chamber? 1911 and other "safety" guns excluded :)

EDIT: let me clarify that last statement above- I do not carry 1911, or other guns which have external safety mechanisms. Sorry if my statement above was confusing. I'm specifically concerned about guns with no external safeties, a la Glock, Kahr, etc.
    Last edited by tellico; December 16th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I have carried my 1911 in a belly band in cond. 1. The question you need to address is "do I trust my safety?". A gun with a weak safety is unsafe , no matter the holster. If you are unsure , carry the gun around the house unloaded C'N'L for a day.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    If I had to carry in a way that I couldn't have one in the chamber, I'd find another carry method or not carry at all.

^^^^^That pretty much sums it up.^^^^^^

Assistant Administrator
    If a DAO or DA/SA gun I would do it con #1 ... but for a cocked and locked 1911 or BHP etc - no, I don't think I'd feel all that safe - hasty draw could be tricky.

Much could of course also be dependent on the mode of presentation from a particular carry position. It could work, for some.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    If I had to carry in a way that I couldn't have one in the chamber, I'd find another carry method or not carry at all.
    Yep.

I would never carry a gun with an empty chamber, it just makes no sense to me at all.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I carry everything from 1911s to Sigs using a UC Comfort t-shirt holster which is elastic and I never carry without one in the chamber.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

interesting how people feel on the subject.
    many say they would with DAO but not 1911 cocked and locked
    i feel the exact opposite.
    i would have (and do have) no problem carrying my 1911 cocked and locked in such a holster.
    i wouldn't carry any gun in any holster that i didnt trust enough to have in an elastic holster.

I carry in a cloth holster (home-made, Smart-Carry style). THen again, I have 5 in the chamber ;)

I wouldn't feel bad carrying anything in this manner. I'd feel a little better with something DAO. Either way, though, if the trigger's covered, and you have a safety (or a 20lb. DA trigger like mine) I wouldn't worry about it.

But I completely agree with the above, if you don't feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber, you might as well not be carrying.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

interesting thoughts so far, especially the 1911 vs DAO posts in regard to this.

"don't bother carrying at all??" I think you misunderstood the original post. if I didn't make my question clear the first time (always possible on a forum vs FTF), here it is in another form: the question is not to chamber or not to chamber, it is about the safety of a particular style holster in regards to protecting the trigger.

Yes....I also use the 5.11 holster shirt occassionally for my MK9...

As long as the trigger is covered, you should be fine. Carry the gun as it was designed--loaded. If equipped with a manual safety (i.e. Berreta, (older) S&W, etc.) engage the safety. SIG, Glock, S&W (M&P) are just fine carried loaded.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I use a belly hand holster and have carried various revolvers, and also semiautos like a CZ75c (manually decocked*, safety off) USPc (decocked, safety off) and a Kahr K40, all chambered. I have never had an issue, though I can understand how it would scare some people.

The firearm, belly band and your brain must all be in good condition.

*DO NOT attempt manual decocking if you have butterfingers. Be EXTREMELY cautious if you attempt manual decocking, and follow all the rules of firearm safety.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

ALWAYS one in the chamber, anything else is an UNLOADED gun and not much good if I need it in a hurry.

Links