Has anyone tried to modify their own clothing?

This is a discussion on Has anyone tried to modify their own clothing? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey... I'm a creature of habit... wear specific jackets during various times of the year... stuff like that. I have one black leather jacket I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried to modify their own clothing?

Has anyone tried to modify their own clothing?

Hey...

I'm a creature of habit... wear specific jackets during various times of the year... stuff like that. I have one black leather jacket I wear a lot that I would like to modify with some kind of shoulder harness. It has plenty of pockets, but even putting my little bersa 380 in it weighs it down. It has a seperable thick lining to it that I think I could sew (yes... I can fire dead accurate from 20' away and sew like a champ... got a problem with that? ). This would cure my concealed carry issue for almost 5 months out of the year.

Has anyone tried to modifier their own gear for stuff like that? Let me know.

EDIT: More specifically... I like the idea of being able to take off my jacket in a restaurant in an office and the holster comes off with it.
    Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Article 1, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Here's something you could try. Assuming that you're right-handed, you could sew an IWB holster into the left side of the jacket with the sweat guard to the inside, which would be the natural right-hand drawing angle, anyway.

Next step... take a band of some description (canvas, thin leather, whatever) and sew it into the holster, then around the perimeter of the jacket and across the left shoulder. You can't go across the right because this will prevent you from opening the front of the jacket. This will give the proper support, but it'll take some experimenting to get the tightness and exact angle just right.

Keep us posted, okay? I'm interested in this idea.

EDIT: I forgot this part. Add a "dummy" pocket flap that you can drape across the holster with velcro just before taking the jacket off.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Nope I haven't tried to modify any clothing to accomodate my concealed carry, but my wife sure seems to, since every time she washes it, it gets smaller and seems to be harder to work with the concealed carry. Or maybe it is the ding dongs and zingers.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

JoAnn Fabrics... here I come!

Well... I'm actually losing weight... down about 15-20lbs so far... I'm hoping to be about 190lbs, 13% body fat on a 5'9" frame. Right now I'm about 195-198 so I'm pretty close.

I like the idea of the flap as well... I was thinking of getting a shoulder carry harness, sewing it into the inside removable vest (i.e. so its sandwhiched between the liner and the actual leather jacket), cut where appropriate for gun and mag access, zip the liner back into the jacket and go from there. My main reason for this is to proportion the weight better for carrying the gun in my jacket.
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have thought about this.If it works maybe you can post a pic for us .

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Here's another thought. Does this jacket happen to have an inside pocket big enough to accomodate a holster? If so, there's half the battle.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

New Member Array RonsLeatherwork's Avatar
    I have no problems with someone knowing how to sew, that is one of the reasons I got into custom leatherwork. Had to stich a number of things to include myself while in the field. Haven't modified any clothing as yet but like the idea of sew in holster and strapping for support. Suggestion, add a couple of clip holders on the other side for balance and extra ammo. Have them set to open from the bottom and you can cover them with a usable pocket.

I LIKE this idea Uflnuceng! Please keep us posted. Are you familiar with those jackets that have a Zip on inside liner? You could use the same system with multiple jackets! Just a thought.

Jacket

Coronado Leather
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Quote Originally Posted by tabsr View Post
    Coronado Leather
    Just checked out their website. Nice stuff... still gonna see what I can do with the jacket I have, but if I need another jacket I'll give this one a look for sure.

This has been my idea for a long time. I have been trying to figure this out somehow. I bought a Galco Miami Rig with the intentions to sew it into the inside of my coat....however...the rig is terrible and on its way back to the factory. The reason its so bad is because you cant adjust it once its on......and fully adjusted....its hard to put on. I have been looking at Fobus Shoulder holsters now. First of all....that Miami rig was rediculously expensive....$140+/- a few. The Fobus ones are about $35 and have straps like a book bag that can be adjusted once its on. You wouldnt even have to permanently sew it into the coat. Even if you sewed in straps with snaps or buttons on it....you could lay the shoulder rig into place and then snap it in. I am dying to hear how you make out with this....I can assure you that this has become my number one goal and will accomplish this somehow. If anyone knows any really good shoulder holster rigs...please let me know!! But they must be able to be adjusted once its on you.

I'm going to get on this one after the christmas break... early January I think when I buy an XD9 so I can have a functional holster since they haven't started making ones for my Ruger yet.

You bring up a good point kjb... i need something that is not too restrictive to get on or off. I think I'm going to take the vest lining out, maybe even consult some local tailors and get their input on the project.

VIP Member

Sew like a champ

Quote Originally Posted by uflnuceng View Post
    Hey...

I'm a creature of habit... wear specific jackets during various times of the year... stuff like that. I have one black leather jacket I wear a lot that I would like to modify with some kind of shoulder harness. It has plenty of pockets, but even putting my little bersa 380 in it weighs it down. It has a seperable thick lining to it that I think I could sew (yes... I can fire dead accurate from 20' away and sew like a champ... got a problem with that? ). This would cure my concealed carry issue for almost 5 months out of the year.

Has anyone tried to modifier their own gear for stuff like that? Let me know.

EDIT: More specifically... I like the idea of being able to take off my jacket in a restaurant in an office and the holster comes off with it.

If you can sew like a champ go for it. I tried to modify a pair of pants one time to more deeply conceal. I found out that I can't sew like a champ. My wife is still

Had a heavy-duty pair of shorts that had pockets with two problems: they were not nearly long/deep enough; and they allowed any type of pocket holster to flop over during CC.

So, I had the pocket modified to be longer/deeper and shaped in such a way as to snugly hold a S&W snubbie revolver in a Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy holster. Worked like a charm. Cost about $15 for the modification, given how simple it was (for a seamstress, at least).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm just wondering if a tailor will think I'm a nut job if I walk in saying I want to modify my jacket for a gun. There is one guy next to my car insurance place who looks like an 8th degree sewing blackbelt master. I may go see him tomorrow. I can give him my liner and come back and get it later... of course this means I'll have to buy my XD sooner as opposed to later:-) Goal is a mag on the right side and the gun on the left (right hand draw).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links