Cross Draw Holster

This is a discussion on Cross Draw Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a IWB cross draw holster for appendix carry. I think the cant on a crossdraw will work best for me in that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cross Draw Holster

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I'm looking for a IWB cross draw holster for appendix carry. I think the cant on a crossdraw will work best for me in that position, especially when sitting or driving. I could be wrong.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Mitch Rosen makes one called the "Tito" that is quite nice!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I prefer a crossdraw for most conditions. Your success in accessing and concealing a crossdraw is going to depend in part on your build (if you have a big tummy, forget it.) For optimum concealment you need to position the holster at 9:00 o'clock. And the holster needs to carry the gun as high and close to the body as possible. In this position I can carry a 1911 without printing. I want my holster to have a neutral cant, especially for a big pistol. I can even conceal a plow handled Colt SAA fairly well with this type of holster.

I toted a badge for twenty years, so I know all the arguments against a crossdraw. And I don't think the crossdraw is a good idea for most LEO's. But that isn't a concern for me now. For civilian carry the crossdraw offers me many advantages:

It is vastly easier and quicker to access your gun if you are seated in a car, public conveyance, at a table, etc. I often have to drive through bad parts of town. I never have to walk through them. So the crossdraw is a no brainer for me.

Even standing, it is easy to access the gun quickly and with certainty because the off hand can clear clothing out of the way.

The crossdraw lends itself to a stealth draw which could be useful in some situations. You can't draw from the strong side without your movements calling attention to what you're doing.

The weapon can be accessed with either hand. (try drawing a pistol from a strong side holster with the off hand...ain't gonna happen.)

The crossdraw is also ideal for folks whose strong side shoulder and elbow don't have the flexibility they once did.

A disadvantage of the crossdraw that must be considered is that you must learn to counter a block or take away if your opponent is very close to you.

Another down side is that it is extremely difficult to find a holster that will suit you. What looks good on paper doesn't necessarily work well in actual use I have a crossdraw holster for every gun I own that I might want to carry. I have had to have all of my holsters custom made to my specifications. But that is no real problem. The extra cost is negligible.

I'm not suggesting any of you switch to a crossdraw. If you're happy and well practiced with what you have, why switch? Besides conventional wisdom is all on your side.

If you are interested in one, Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com sells a few different styles, including one that is designed to be carried when driving a vehicle, the "Carjacker Crossdraw."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post

It is vastly easier and quicker to access your gun if you are seated in a car, public conveyance, at a table, etc. I often have to drive through bad parts of town. I never have to walk through them. So the crossdraw is a no brainer for me.

Even standing, it is easy to access the gun quickly and with certainty because the off hand can clear clothing out of the way.

The crossdraw lends itself to a stealth draw which could be useful in some situations. You can't draw from the strong side without your movements calling attention to what you're doing.

The weapon can be accessed with either hand. (try drawing a pistol from a strong side holster with the off hand...ain't gonna happen.)

The crossdraw is also ideal for folks whose strong side shoulder and elbow don't have the flexibility they once did.

A disadvantage of the crossdraw that must be considered is that you must learn to counter a block or take away if your opponent is very close to you.

Another down side is that it is extremely difficult to find a holster that will suit you. What looks good on paper doesn't necessarily work well in actual use I have a crossdraw holster for every gun I own that I might want to carry. I have had to have all of my holsters custom made to my specifications. But that is no real problem. The extra cost is negligible.

I'm not suggesting any of you switch to a crossdraw. If you're happy and well practiced with what you have, why switch? Besides conventional wisdom is all on your side.
    Yep! Well said.

Here's one I use occasionally:

I really like this CD piece.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I'm not really big on cross draw holsters, personally. I think they are suitable for vehicle carry or if you have medical conditions that prohibit a strong side carry, but otherwise there are superior method of carrying a handgun for personal defense. Besides the concealment and muzzle direction issues, my real concern with them is mainly in a close quarters confrontation. When you reach across your center line it is very easy to get your elbow jammed into place and not be able to complete your draw (especially from the ground). It is also easier for someone in front of you to grab the handgun. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here; these are just the reasons I don't carry cross draw. I know a lot of guys prefer it, and I even build cross draw holsters on request. It's just not the best platform to fight from in my opinion.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Franklin Township, Dekalb County, Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I carry a HK USP .45 full size in an Uncle Mikes Side Kick holster that gets tucked between my belt and pants. I do this so my pants do not get too tight. I also carry cross draw with that same holster because it is easier to draw from sitting. I do not have any trouble with drawing as it takes practice to avoid "Sweeping" across others. To avoid this as I draw I keep the muzzle pointed dowm, then bring it across to my right side where I "Flip" the muzzle upwars while placing my support hand on it. Takes a bit of practice, but its muscle memory if you do it enough.
    I'm wearing a 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson Model 66 right now in an Uncle Mike's IWB, but I'm wearing the holster between my jeans & my belt in a cross draw. I also wear a 4" Smith & Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman in this manner. It's an "el cheapo" alternative until my "real" cross draw holster arrives.

Distinguished Member
    I wished I would have started this thread before I ordered my cross draw holsters . Like ya'll have said they print to much . One is a 3 slot so I will still use it , but the other one isn't . It's a Black Hills for my j frame . I should get it next week . I hope that the small j frame will work in it for me . If not someone could get a good deal , with little waiting time .

Hi, I'm new here. I followed a link from another gun forum and have been lurking here for a couple of weeks.

I like to carry at appendix, but I don't like the way the grip usually pokes into my ribs or the tip of the barrel digs into my groin when I sit down. I've practiced using a crossdraw cant at appendix -- by adapting the way a nylon holster attaches to my waist band -- but it isn't very stable since it wasn't built to be used that way.

I emailed David Bullard (D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg.)- and he basically said "no problem". He's changing the placement of the belt clip on his IWB holster to alter the cant -- and at no additional charge!

The first image is his original IWB holster. The second is the picture I altered and sent to him with my concept of how to change the angle to more of a crossdraw cant

I can't wait to get the finished product!

Indeed-personal carry techniques usually require some tailoring to be comfortable and user friendly. Welcome to the forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links