Cross Draw Holster

Cross Draw Holster

This is a discussion on Cross Draw Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed on the TV show "Bones", FBI Agent Booth carries his Glock in a cross draw holster on his left side. I know this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cross Draw Holster

Cross Draw Holster

I noticed on the TV show "Bones", FBI Agent Booth carries his Glock in a cross draw holster on his left side. I know this is Hollywood, but is this common?

There are very few cross draw holsters on the market.

Anyone use a cross draw holster? If so, what brand? Any advantages to this type of carry? Disadvantages?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I like them but they print too bad on me so I don't use them.
    For God, Family and Country!

I, for one, have never had a cross draw. Just seems to me that they would be more difficult to conceal. Also, looks like there would be the potential for the BG to simply grab your arm, or block it somehow and this would keep you from being able to draw your weapon at all. Like I said, I have no experience with these at all... just my thoughts on them.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Is the holster canted? I have two holsters that I use for cross-carry in the wintertime under a jacket. One is an Ahern 3-slot, and the other a Mitch Rosen 'upper limit express'. The latter is a straight vertical I use for the G27, and the former, holds a full or mid size (Glock of course) vertical or canted. I actually see advantages to the cross draw and use it as often as strong side. I actually feel that it's quite possibly faster as my strong hand can naturally go inside my weak side of the jacket--I can also draw my CW with my weak hand very easily, and defend an offensive with my strong hand. Cross draw is very comfortable and accessible while behind the wheel of a vehicle. The butt of my full size G17 and G22 would stick out too much if worn back of the hip on the weak side (cross draw), and therefore my cross side holster needs to be worn a bit more forward of the hip than if it were on the strong side. No problem really, it just makes my weak side pants pocket unusable, and that's were I generally keep my keys. Accordingly, my keys go inside my weak side coat pocket and the weight of them actually helps keep the side of the jacket from possibly revealing the 'fowardness' of my weapon. For what it's worth.

It would have to be canted, straight up would be more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
    It would have to be canted, straight up would be more difficult.
    Actually I've never tried canted on the weak side (cross draw). That IMO would be more difficult for me to access with the weak hand. See what I'm saying? When I strong side carry, my weapon is in effect not accessible by my weak hand. When I cross carry, my weapon is accessible with either so long as it's vertical. Go ahead-----try putting the back side of your weak hand against your weak side hip right now.

Cross draw seems natural for me. Unfortunately, the butt pointing forward is a real concealment problem so I seldom carry crossdraw. I do have a couple of 3 slot holsters that can be used to carry crossdraw.

A cross draw holster would have a forward cant for a quick draw.

You can't just put a right hand or left hand holster on the left side, because they will all cant towards the rear.

You would need a special cross draw holster with a forward cant.

I know for IDPA, these are banned. I was wondering if this was the case for any LEO also.

You would need a special cross draw holster with a forward cant.
    10-4 that.

I carry crossdraw exclusively. Its the most comfortable for me, especially when wearing jackets in the colder seasons. It may print somewhat for me, but just like everything else, you need to find the sweet spot where its comfy and conceals well. I wanted something that I could wear and not have to adjust depending on what I am doing. I have never been able to draw from my strongside while seated in the car with my seatbelt engaged....its just too cumbersome. Crossdraw works in the car very well for me.

It's also better on the draw for me - not neccissarily faster, but I can use my weak hand to push aside my jacket or pull up my shirt and my strong hand is totally free to draw the gun. With strongside carry, I found that my weak hand was not very effective in aiding with clearing the shirt or jacket, and pushing my jacket back with my strong hand/arm as I'm trying to draw just doesn't feel right to me.

If I need to conceal better I can wear it @ 9:30 or so, and for high accessibility I can wear it at 11 with a good cover garment.

I've never tried any of the 3 slot belt holsters or the special IWB holsters, but what I have is the El Paso Saddlery Double Agent. Its setup for SS or CD carry, and works well for both. I should be getting any day now a holster from K&D. I had Kevin make me a custom Laredo Defender in cross draw, and I'll review that when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
    I know for IDPA, these are banned. I was wondering if this was the case for any LEO also.
    Its also banned from most training classes....it takes some practice to draw and not cover anyone else on the firing line. I think Iread somewhere that Randy Cain allows crossdraw in his clasess, but I'm not certain.
    .XX likes this.

I carry a HK USP .45 full size in an Uncle Mikes Side Kick holster that gets tucked between my belt and pants. I do this so my pants do not get too tight. I also carry cross draw with that same holster because it is easier to draw from sitting. I do not have any trouble with drawing as it takes practice to avoid "Sweeping" across others. To avoid this as I draw I keep the muzzle pointed dowm, then bring it across to my right side where I "Flip" the muzzle upwars while placing my support hand on it. Takes a bit of practice, but its muscle memory if you do it enough.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

It's something I'd like to give a try, especially when driving a car. I would guess having it at say 9 - 10 o'clock would be the idea location, but then it might be too up front to be concealed if your jacket opened up, and the butt is sticking out.

Any brand name holsters come to mind? This would be for a Glock 26.

I have one but as another poster stated,it prints too much so I don't use it. sj

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    When I was driving Armored Car....I swore by a good CD holster. They are a definite compromise with concealment...but this wasnt concealed anyway.

For driving there is NO better holster than a good CD setup. The problem is Ive seen them from almost vertical to almost horizontal. I like them at about 40 deg's of negative cant.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

VIP Member
    I've got a beautiful Cross Draw Holster... every time I think Cross Draw is a good idea for me, I get it out and wear it. Then take it off and throw it back in the "BOX-O-HOLSTERS" till the next time I get that same bright idea!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links