How do you wear your MTAC?

This is a discussion on How do you wear your MTAC? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me: 5'11", 210#, with a Sig P220R and a Comp-Tac MTAC. I have some time to get used to the whole carrying thing since, well, ...

Thread: How do you wear your MTAC?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

How do you wear your MTAC?

Me: 5'11", 210#, with a Sig P220R and a Comp-Tac MTAC. I have some time to get used to the whole carrying thing since, well, I live in Maryland and I don't have any immediate plans to go to any of the states that recognize my nice FL non-resident permit... So, I got the MTAC to go with my very nice Beltman double-layer bullhide belt.

I really want to wear the rig around 4 o'clock because (1) it is pretty comfortable back there; (2) it is better covered by an open-front concealment garment; and (3) I think that's the easiest place to draw from. Only thing is I can't find any way to have the grip stay close back there. Short of standing like I have rod up my bum, just about any movement seems to catch my shirt between my back and the grip (no matter how tight or loose the shirt is); also, any sort of leaning or bending forward makes it look like the Alien is coming out of my kidney.

I can wear it at 3 o'clock and it conceals well (which I actually found surprising---I mean, how could it not look like I have a tumor growing out of my hip! ), but is uncomfortable when I sit down and I find the draw more difficult (though nothing I can't adjust to, I think). But at 3 o'clock, with a tucked shirt (polo, rugby, or dress shirt), the Sig really does just disappear, which does make me happy.

Anyone else out there have a similar configuration that works well back behind the hip? How do you get the gun to stay close enough to conceal well?

I have dropped the MTAC by one hole in each clip to keep the (I guess about) 15 degree cant but let it ride lower, which does help some, but still not a lot.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

i wear mine @ 3oclock. i find that it conceals much better and i actually find it much more comfy than at 4.
    i know a lot of people that carry at 4, so im sure someone can give you some input, but honestly i dont know how they do it either.
    i cant conceal well at all in that position.

I've been experimenting with mine- just received it on Monday.

The most comfortable/concealble position I have found is 3:00. I tried 4-5:00, but my gut doesn't let me do that very well.

For what it's worth, I use it 4 or 5 o'clock. Didn't think 3 would work with my already-too-tight pants, so I didn't even try...

FD
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

I carry my Glock 27 in an MTac, I've got the clips positioned to drop a bit lower in the front than the back and it rides just above my belt level. The top to the slide at the rear sight is positioned just about at the seam of my jeans. It is comfortable and easy to draw from. I don't have trouble with anything getting between the gun and holster.

Guess you'll have to do some experimenting with height, cant & position on the body to find the right spot for you. BUT, eventually you'll find it. Also the M Tac takes a few days of wearing it,to mold it self to you, which may help. One of the nice things about the MTac is that you can adjust it to suit you. Good luck.

The best position for me with my M-tac is 3:30 to 4:00, this works the same on the three guns I carry. I carry a Sig-245, a Glock 21, and a Kimber Ultra 10 in M-tac holsters. To me it is just as easy to carry and conceal the large frame autos in an M-tac.
    Probably like 99% of the people who post on this site I have tried about every style of holster, the M-tac, Tucker Answer type holsters have pretty well been the best for my style of carry.
    Today I went to the farm to zero in some hunting rifles and carried my Glock 21 all day and forgot it was there.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    The best position for me with my M-tac is 3:30 to 4:00, this works the same on the three guns I carry.
    redbird, does the gun's grip snug up against your back/side well over there? That's the main problem I seem to be having, is that there's always too much space there for a shirt to snag... What kind of belt do you use?

Mine rides snug. I use a quality gun belt, Wildernss & a K&D most often.

Sorry I didn't get back last night, all 3 M-tacs press against my side tight enough that my shirt doesn't snag the grip but keeps it close enough to be discreet with a light weight vest or even when the shirt is tucked between the holster and pants.

Thumbs up

Mine's at 3 o'clock right now. I just got it today, and so far it's VERY comfortable. I can't imagine what it'll be like once it's broken in.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

I'm 5'9" and 190lbs......kinda close to your stats. I'll wear my MTAC anywhere from 300 to 400, depending on what I'm wearing and my mood. I've had zero issues at the 400 position and that's where it rides most of the time.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links