Brommeland Max Con V - question

This is a discussion on Brommeland Max Con V - question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Max Con V a couple of days ago. It's outstanding. It rides well, stays put, and is mega comfortable. But there's a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brommeland Max Con V - question

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Brommeland Max Con V - question

I bought a Max Con V a couple of days ago. It's outstanding. It rides well, stays put, and is mega comfortable.

But there's a very minor issue that I'm hoping some of you may have dealt with. It's seems a bit tough to reholster one-handed. The mouth is very stiff, which is good. I don't know if it's reinforced or not, but it seems that it gets slightly squeezed inward by the belt and if I try to reholster, it wants to push the slide back, which is a definite no-no. I can put my thumb on the rear of the slide and hold it down and that solves the problem, but is that the way it's supposed to be done?

Tilting my body to the left didn't make a difference when reholstering because the mouth was squeezed in a bit. I love the holster, but I'm probably doing something wrong.

Ideas?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Actually they are very tight when you get them. It sounds about right for a brand new Max Con. Wrap your gun in waxed paper and stick it in your holster a bunch of times....it will loosen up just enough.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Actually they are very tight when you get them. It sounds about right for a brand new Max Con. Wrap your gun in waxed paper and stick it in your holster a bunch of times....it will loosen up just enough.

Shoot well and god bless
    I already did the wax paper idea tonight. I now have it just about right for the amount of grip I like.

Should I also do the wax paper idea while wearing it IWB (unloaded, of course)?

Thanks!

-miklcolt45

I have 2 of them and I can re-holster one handed with ease in either one. I don't remember if I had your problem when they were new, but if I did, that problem went away.

I'm guessing you carry an XD. I carry a 1911 Commander, but I'd bet the type of gun wouldn't matter.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER View Post
    I have 2 of them and I can re-holster one handed with ease in either one. I don't remember if I had your problem when they were new, but if I did, that problem went away.

I'm guessing you carry an XD. I carry a 1911 Commander, but I'd bet the type of gun wouldn't matter.
    Yeah, it's an XD 45 Compact (4-inch barrel). It had that usual new tightness at first, then I did the wax paper trick, first with one layer, then two, and it got to be just about perfect.

The problem is only when I actually have it strapped on. It seems that the belt just slightly squeezes the mouth in a bit and it wants to push my slide back when reholstering. That's an advantage I guess a 1911 would have, a thumb safety to keep the slide stationary. The pull is just right when drawing, though.

-miklcolt45

The Max-Con is designed to be as thin and comfortable as possible *without a reinforced mouth*. This is what makes the Max-Con super comfy and pretty much you forget it is even there.

If you look on Brommelands site, he tell's you that the holster was not really ment/designed for one hand reholstering. Personally, I can't stand the steel reinforced mouth type holsters, the extra piece of leather at the mouth for reinforcement is ok but I want, thin, light and concealable with my holsters and the Max-Con fit's that need nicely. The Max-Con is kind of a compromise, although I do not have any issue with any of the Max-Con's I have reholstering with one hand. It may be that your belt is just a bit to tight?

Anyway, if you are looking for reinforcement choose the Max-Con VI next time, it uses the extra layer of leather at the mouth to help aid in one hand reholstering. None of Gary's holsters to my knowledge use a steel band at the mouth which is just fine with me but the only real way to insure a positive one hand reholstering. I just can't stand to wear the steel mouth holsters.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    The Max-Con is designed to be as thin and comfortable as possible *without a reinforced mouth*. This is what makes the Max-Con super comfy and pretty much you forget it is even there.

If you look on Brommelands site, he tell's you that the holster was not really ment/designed for one hand reholstering. Personally, I can't stand the steel reinforced mouth type holsters, the extra piece of leather at the mouth for reinforcement is ok but I want, thin, light and concealable with my holsters and the Max-Con fit's that need nicely. The Max-Con is kind of a compromise, although I do not have any issue with any of the Max-Con's I have reholstering with one hand. It may be that your belt is just a bit to tight?

Anyway, if you are looking for reinforcement choose the Max-Con VI next time, it uses the extra layer of leather at the mouth to help aid in one hand reholstering. None of Gary's holsters to my knowledge use a steel band at the mouth which is just fine with me but the only real way to insure a positive one hand reholstering. I just can't stand to wear the steel mouth holsters.

Ti
    Thanks. That's some good info there. I scouted his website yesterday but I guess I missed that part.

I suppose it's really not a problem to just hold my thumb against the slide when reholstering. I can do it one-handed that way.

And you might also have a point about my belt being too tight, although I really didn't think so at the time.

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...its as it should be. If you need, Yes, wax paper while wearing the holster...just dont do this alot. Be careful this will break it in quickly.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Just for fun, you said you bought it a couple days ago, did you get it from that distributor or did you order it direct?
    If the latter, how long ago did you order it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'l Boone View Post
    Just for fun, you said you bought it a couple days ago, did you get it from that distributor or did you order it direct?
    If the latter, how long ago did you order it?
    I bought it at Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville. They usually have a pretty decent supply in stock.

http://www.coalcreekarmory.com

By the way, I like your username. Is it true that you "kilt a bar?"

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Yikes - I really wish my Brommeland holster would arrive. Reading these posts about people receiving their holsters is about to drive me mad!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Yikes - I really wish my Brommeland holster would arrive. Reading these posts about people receiving their holsters is about to drive me mad!!!
    I can only imagine! Honestly, I don't have that much patience. If I hadn't found it locally, I would have either found someone with it in stock online or went with another holster.

I would have been missing out on a great holster, but the wait would have driven me crazy.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I bought a Max Con V a couple of days ago. It's outstanding. It rides well, stays put, and is mega comfortable.

But there's a very minor issue that I'm hoping some of you may have dealt with. It's seems a bit tough to reholster one-handed. The mouth is very stiff, which is good. I don't know if it's reinforced or not, but it seems that it gets slightly squeezed inward by the belt and if I try to reholster, it wants to push the slide back, which is a definite no-no. I can put my thumb on the rear of the slide and hold it down and that solves the problem, but is that the way it's supposed to be done?

Tilting my body to the left didn't make a difference when reholstering because the mouth was squeezed in a bit. I love the holster, but I'm probably doing something wrong.

Ideas?
    As mentioned the Maxcon VI has as reinforced mouth for one handed reholstering. I have been waiting for mine since Feb.

But in any event, yes, you should put your thumb on the back of the slide when reholstering into ANY holster. This will keep it from going out of battery.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

It helps to tilt the gun away from the body and engage the holster with the edge of the slide/barrel, using it to pry the holster open, then straighten the gun and insert it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    It helps to tilt the gun away from the body and engage the holster with the edge of the slide/barrel, using it to pry the holster open, then straighten the gun and insert it.
    That sounds like the way to go.

Thanks!

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links