IWB Holster?

IWB Holster?

This is a discussion on IWB Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not have the extra $$$ to purchase/try/not use a holster. So how does one go about finding an IWB holster that fits? I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB Holster?

IWB Holster?

I do not have the extra $$$ to purchase/try/not use a holster. So how does one go about finding an IWB holster that fits? I'm sure everyone has an opinion, but where do I start? I know from reading different posts, Kydex, etc, are not for me. I think a good horsehide or cowhide holster is the way to go, but which one? Thanks

VIP Member
    All I can do is tell you what I like. I don't know any place where you can look and feel unless you have a friend who has something you like.

There are many like it but I still prefer the Milt Sparks VersaMax-II for IWB carry. I have several and 4 more in the order mill!

It's a great IWB Holster and if you don't like it, it's in such demand you can probably sell it for what you paid right in this forum!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    There are many like it but I still prefer the Milt Sparks VersaMax-II for IWB carry. I have several and 4 more in the order mill!
    Yep. The VMII most definitely rocks. I have one for my Colt Defender (and other 3-inch 1911's). I bought it sight-unseen because of all the great things I had heard about it and it didn't disappoint.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The problem is everyone has different preferences and body types. Then through in all the different designs of pistols and it's going to be tough to say without a personal trial what's going to work best. Some holsters with wide spread appeal are the Sparks Versa Max II, the K&D Defenders and the the Andrews Leather McDaniel II. Most people will be happy with any one of these but some people won't like any of them and will prefer a different design. It's also hard to go wrong with a Nossar, Alessi or Del Fatti. One of the best things you can do is to call some of these folks up and discuss what you want to carry, how you want to carry and how you're built. These guys are not used car salesman but very good craftsman who will be honest about what they feel will work best for you. Be ready for the long wait times or be ready to go hunting for one of the few people who might have one in stock, for a premium.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

ELCruisr said it best.

The VersaMax is a gold standard in IWB and probably won't dissapoint. I sold mine because I did not like the cant, I prefer less. Concealability and craftsmanship is outstanding.

The IWB.'s that I think are tops are the also K&D Defenders and the McDaniel II. Unless you are 100% committed to a canted holster fixed in position, these offer adjustabilty of cant which to me is a necessary feature. Every one has a holster draw of what did not work for them, so if investing money in a custom seriously consider an adjustable cant holster because it has more versatility. For a heavier gun I think the spread out loops like on the VMII and the Defenders are the most stable platforms.

You said no kydex but many have said good things about the Comp Tac MTAC.

Let us know what you go for and how it works out.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Before you totally rule out anything with kydex, take a look at Comp Tac's M Tac model. I was skeptical myself and thought ONLY leather would do for me. This holster has leather against the body and a kydex shell that holds the gun. It is adjustable for cant and the level of depth the gun rides at. I've found it to be VERY comfortable and secure, in addition to being affordable and with very QUICK delivery, like less than a week !! You won't find that anywhere else. I have a KD Defender, and an Andrews McDII , I also have one of UBG's IWB that is close to the Versa Max and while they are great holsters, I prefer my MTac and carry my Glock in it daily. If you don't like it, they will take it back within their trial period, no questions asked. You should give it a try for a few days, so it can adjust to you. I think you'll be pleased. If I bought the M Tac first, I'd not have any others.

The Brommeland www.brommelandgunleather.com , Max Con V is very similar to the Versa Max II and is my preference. Check them both out.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Have 2 IWB holsters. One is a HBE Specialty Leatherworks COM III for my full size SA 1911. Eric will work with you on the design and requirements to fit it to you but wait time is long last I heard.
    Recently purchased a TT Gunleather IWB http://www.ttgunleather.com/
    for my SA Champion. Tim will also work with you on what you want. The design is similar to a MS VM II but you will be paying half that price and still get an outstanding holster that takes 2-3 weeks to arrive versus Milt Sparks 1/2 year wait. Absolutely love mine!! Get one while you can as I think his business is going to take off.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Here is what I did. I first checked a lot of name brand holster maker's web sites to get an idea of what is available. From that I decided given my circumstances I wanted an IWB type holster that incorporated the "tuckable" feature. In-other-words I can tuck my shirt in-between the gun and my waistband. Since I didn't know anyone who owned that type of holster I found manufacturers that made them and gave them a call. I told them what gun I would carry and asked about the features of their product. From there it is a crap shoot. I ended up with Tucker Gunleather products for 3 different guns I own and think they are great.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

It would help to know which gun you have. I have the VM II for my SIG 239 and love it. Very comfortable and concealability is also great. I can wear it all day and forget its there.

I have a Browning Hi-Power 9mm

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    If I could only buy one holster..it would be the Max Con V from Brommeland.
    I have two of them for different firearms....awesome piece of leather and workmanship.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Just do what i did go to a sportsmans wharehouse they will let you try a rig on even with a gun of their shelves. recently bought a bianchi iwb and mag holder for $73.00 just food for thought.

I did things a little differently. A couple of years ago after reading about the Spark's VM2 holsters and trying several other brands, and never hearing anything bad about them, I made a decision. I already had a bunch of the others. I called Sparks and ordered 4 of the VM2H holsters, two of his 55BNH models, 2 of his 6P light carries, and 2 dual mag carriers. After a long wait, they arrived. I actually got out my lighted fly tieing mag glass to examine the work. All items were absolutely flawless, and I won't even consider a different brand. They are comfortable beyond anything I thought possible.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Try Don Hume PCCH. Get acclimated to a decent IWB affordably (+/- $50.00)then move up to custom leather later if you like it. That is what I am doing now.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links