Has anyone tried the 5.11 Tactical t-shirt holsters?

This is a discussion on Has anyone tried the 5.11 Tactical t-shirt holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at these and I was wondering if anyone uses them. Opinions anyone???...

Thread: Has anyone tried the 5.11 Tactical t-shirt holsters?

Has anyone tried the 5.11 Tactical t-shirt holsters?

I've been looking at these and I was wondering if anyone uses them.
    Opinions anyone???

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Yeah............not so much! The gun does not stay put and digs in to your side. Over body armor it's not so bad but the gun is hard to get to.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Dang guys, I like mine!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I like mine too. Wore it all day yesterday while working outside. Works well with my PM9.

Sponsor
    I like mine also.
    But check out the other posts on the subject. There are several different options and all have their pros and cons.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    What's everyone's advice on sizing? I wear a size 40 jacket and usually a large in polo type shirts. In an earlier thread about these shirts it sounded like I'd need a medium. Will that be too tight? Also, how comfortable are these shirts on warmer days?

Thanks.

I like them so much of them that I have 4, so I can alternate.

While it is certainly not a quick draw, I can conceal a P14-45 under a tucked in dress shirt, and you'll never know it's there, unless you're very observent. I regularly carry a Kimber UCII and it just disappears. Same with a GLock 27.

I'm 5'11'' and about 195 with an athletic build. Gun stays put. I had my wife sew a seam on the other side's pocket and carry 2 magazines there. You can also sew other seams on the pistol side to get it to sit where you want.
    My only complaint is that the inside stitching can be itchy, so in colder weather, I will put a thin sleeveless underarmor shirt under the 5.11. SUmmer time is tougher, unless you're in air conditioning most of the time, and then it's just fine.

It is far more comfortable than any other method of carry, and I've tried almost all. MaxConV, ankle, etc. Andrews Monarch is the next best to this, but only works for me in certain situations.

My left arm covers this when making contact (hug) with someone, and I've never had someone discover it that I didn't want to.

I generally wear a large shirt and 43/44 jacket, and I bought these in the large.
    You do want it as tight as you can get it.

I still can't figure out why so many people here don't like these. I've tried the other variations of these as well, and have not found another one that even comes close.

FOr me it comes down to how concealed do I have to be at the time, based upon what I can or have to wear, and what my risk of possible exposure is.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

I wore a short sleeve black one to the range yesterday, and both rangemasters were wearing a long sleeved black 5.11. They weren't carrying their firearms in the shirt because they wear them openly while on duty, but carry flashlights, spare mags, food and small animals in the shirt (ok, kidding about the animals). I had a Glock 23 on one side and a G30 on the other. The only printing is usually behind the pockets, and looks like you have something in your shirt pocket. I intend to buy more!
    John

Lifetime NRA member

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I wore a short sleeve black one to the range yesterday, and both rangemasters were wearing a long sleeved black 5.11. They weren't carrying their firearms in the shirt because they wear them openly while on duty, but carry flashlights, spare mags, food and small animals in the shirt (ok, kidding about the animals). I had a Glock 23 on one side and a G30 on the other. The only printing is usually behind the pockets, and looks like you have something in your shirt pocket. I intend to buy more!
    It sounds like your talking about the 5.11 Tactical button down shirt. They are very nice. The venting makes them cool in hotter weather despite the heavier weight material. I would carry my P32 or PPK in the document pocket but not my M&P40c, SteyrM9A1 or Llama 1911 commander, all of which carry nicely and conceal well in the 5.11 Holster T.

As for sizing. I normally where a medium in Ts or Polos and I had to go down to a small Holster T to get it snug enough to support the weight of the handgun. It is very snug but still comfortable.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    It sounds like your talking about the 5.11 Tactical button down shirt. They are very nice. The venting makes them cool in hotter weather despite the heavier weight material. I would carry my P32 or PPK in the document pocket but not my M&P40c, SteyrM9A1 or Llama 1911 commander, all of which carry nicely and conceal well in the 5.11 Holster T.

As for sizing. I normally where a medium in Ts or Polos and I had to go down to a small Holster T to get it snug enough to support the weight of the handgun. It is very snug but still comfortable.
    You're right! My bad. I sometimes skip every other word when I read! Sorry.
    John

Lifetime NRA member

Hello.

First posting here, so here goes.

I have both the 5.11 Tactical shirt (v-neck) and the Kramer Confidant shirt. I like them both, although I lean towards the 5.11 more. jThe Kramer is cooler in the summer, but, the velcro on the Kramer is noisy.

The 5.11 is probably better if you order a size smaller than normal. There is a sizing chart with some of the distributors if you do a search. I ordered an XL because I was within 1 inch of the sizing recommendation. Smaller guns move around slightly, but not enough to matter, IMHO.

The 5.11 is a spandex material (very similar to UnderArmor) that wicks away moisture but it is hotter in the summer here in TX.

I find this shirt to work very well for me. I have carried a Taurus MilPro .40, Glock 27, Taurus 85 UltraLite, Kahr PM9, and Kel-Tec P3AT. (two at a time, of course). I like this shirt when attending functions that require discreet carry. Like church, especially. You just have to watch it when little old ladies are giving out hugs. You'll learn to position yourself so they don't feel the gun(s).

I showed this shirt to a friend of mine who is thinking of getting a CHL. I got dressed, put two guns in the shirt, one on my hip, and one in my back pocket. My friend couldn't tell I was carrying at all. He was impressed to say the least.

As far as access goes, I find it simple. I wear western work shirts a lot with snap buttons. That makes it easy. On shirts without snaps, it's easy to leave the center-chest button undone. If you want, you can get creative and sew a button on the outer material and use velcro to hold the shirt closed. Be sure and wear a shirt that is loose fitting. That's the trick.

So, since this is my first posting and a bit windy, let me say I like the shirts.

The End.

PS: I'm originally from Yuma, and I have lived in Mesa, AZ. I know how hot the summers are in PHX. If you've worn under armor and don't find it too hot, no problem on the 5.11, otherwise, check the Kramer.
    Last edited by Willie Makeit; December 25th, 2007 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Thought of something to add.

Links