Where's my holster?

This is a discussion on Where's my holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We've always tried here, on the forum, to remain neutral regarding holster problems. For awhile we stopped allowing complaints about holster makers that had long ...

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Where's my holster?

DC Founder

Exclamation Where's my holster?

We've always tried here, on the forum, to remain neutral regarding holster problems. For awhile we stopped allowing complaints about holster makers that had long delivery dates because of how this topic always involves situations which we can verify and substantiate from either side. Everyone has a different side of the story and it just never seemed fair to one or the other. Our current policy really hasn't worked very well, with either members or the holster maker getting upset with us because we were either not allowing the thread, or not removing it, depending on what side of the transaction you happen to be. While have made an honest effort, it evidently hasn't been the correct one. I will accept the responsibility for some of you believing we were covering for this person or that person, being part of the problem, etc.

We're now going to try something different. I'm opening up this single thread for you to have a venue to document your particular situation, and for the holster makers to communicate to you directly should you have a problem. Keeping the lines of communications open seems to have helped some of you get leather that you may not have otherwise received and we are going to be committed to that task.

If you are a consumer that has bought and paid for leather but haven't received it by the promised date, this thread is the place for you to say that, a place where the buyer posts the problem and the holster maker responds and, hopefully, makes it right. We have no guarantees that they will answer your complaint here or that they will even read them, much less make good on their original promises to their customers. I think it will, however, if they don't respond, help paint an accurate picture of how potential new customers may be treated should they make a purchase from those with reported problems. When, and if, you receive your holster, you're also encouraged to post the conclusion here as well.

If you have previously made a complaint post that was removed. You're welcome to add it here and as long as the general forum rules are maintained, it will not be removed.

I certainly hope this helps. If it doesn't, we'll head back to the drawing board again until we can resolve the problem, without becoming a part of it. Any comments or complaints may be PM'd to me.

On the flipside of all this, we don't want to paint custom holster makers with a broad brush for those of you that may avoid ordering from a custom holster maker because some of the problems discussed here. You shouldn't. While demand is high and reasonable wait times are common, all of the custom holster makers we have sponsoring this site have delivered orders as promised and have kept the communication lines open with their customers.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

Post Regarding My Brommeland Holster Order.

Hello,
    I ordered a holster,mag pouch, and belt from gary brommeland in june '06 for around $240.
    Thats right, 18 months I have waited.
    I have sent maybe 4 or 5 emails in the last year and a half and each time I was told
    "It will be a couple of more weeks" - and now they no longer return emails. I told them to send me my money or my holster this year but i got no reply.
    I feel robbed. What to do?
    And now I find out people are getting holsters in 5 days from a retailer that has 30+ holsters sitting on the shelf, people have posted that they just got their order after a year, 6 months after I ordered.
    This issue brought me to this forum today for the first time, and after a little reading I realize gary has a lot of fans.
    I dont have alot of money, so I shopped pretty hard when I was buying my first ever custom holster (my H&K usp c40 has been in a kydex for 18 months)
    IMO, Gary has the best product.
    IYO when should I expect him to be caught up ?
    I know it's my first but 18 months???
    Last edited by cdwolf; December 22nd, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    First of all, thanks Bumper for this thread concerning this particular problem. It is appreciated.
    Rangergunleather; Greg Dunn of Conroe Texas . I ordered and paid for a holster and belt in Sept 06. I don't expect anything as he is not responding to emails but perhaps having his name on this thread as a sticky will jar him alittle asa I would still like to receive my gear. Yes I have documentation to back this up. If Greg starts taking orders in the future buyer beware.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well.....very good! I actually suggested to Bumper that we start a thread like this because from a makers perspective being behind with forum members puts you in a very strange spot. We all keep records of our customers contact names, product information and etc...but it rarely includes "forum handles or names".

This is a thread I need so people can say "Hey...my name is so and so and its been 20 years since I gave you my hard earned cash! Where is my leather!"

Please post here if you have outstanding leather with me. You can call me a flake, thief or insert your favorite name here...it doesnt matter to me as I know you are frustrated. Lets just get the show on the road and get you guys your stuff.

Bumper thanks for doing this..........Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    I actually suggested to Bumper that we start a thread like this because from a makers perspective being behind with forum members puts you in a very strange spot.
    I don't remember ever receiving a suggestion from you regarding this, Eric, quite frankly, but if you think this will help your customers get their leather, I'm okay with it. We just want them to have a venue. You are also welcome to post here when a member's order has been shipped and received....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Please post here if you have outstanding leather with me.
    Classic pancake holster, RH, black, for Glock 17, 1.5" belt loops (permanent), canted, reinforced open top, high back, smooth (normal) side out, normal ride height.

Ordered and paid for 11/06.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    dgg....holster shipped on Thursday this week. With bells and whistles.
    Shoot well and god bless.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Thank you very much for this thread! I have thought for a while now that holster makers were being "protected" on here but I also understand something had to be done as well and understand the reasoning but the frustration has been hard.

My complaints/issues are more reviews now as I canceled one order and was made/forced to cancel the other order from a maker.

Holster makers in this review:

Gary Brommeland

Mark Garrity

I will start with Mr. Brommeland!

This story is so long I don't even have enough time or thread to write it all so I will stick with the facts and try and keep emotion out of it as best I can.

I used to adore the guy and thought (still think) that he is one fantastic holster maker, at least with a Max-Con V. My very first concealed carry holster was a Max-Con V and I have that one and a couple others I bought off forum members still today.

I had an order in with Gary for a very long time, It was 14-16 months of waiting, growing more frustrated as the time passed and believed all the excuses, all the it will ship next weeks, all the for you I will get it out in 7 weeks instead of 8-10 weeks, etc, etc, etc, etc. I eventually figured out all the "excuses" were just that, excuses and eventually he started blaming his customers for his problems with call's and emails and telling us that other holster makers were not providing their customers with quality leather and blaming the tanneries for a "supply" problems that no other maker seems to have had issues with, yet never has he once blamed himself or taken responsibility for any of his delays! Gary has a ton of excuses, I am not going to get into all of them as all you have to do is thumb through post's and you will find a very long trail of excuses that will take you a month straight to read.

The only excuse that is excusable was when he had heath issues, I can understand that and have no problem at all with that excuse but the fact of the matter is Gary still made his own bed, still took the orders when in his words he had over 300 orders at one time yet continued to knowingly tell customers false delivery dates. When I ordered, I heard nothing other than for you I will get it to you in 7 weeks instead of an 8-10 week turn around that he supposedly had at the time. Yea, right!

The bottom line to this is Gary saw my frustration online in my post's and I guess saw that I was seeing through his excuses and finding that things weren’t adding up so one day out of the blue I got a refund check in the mail with no explanation, no note, no nothing, just a check I guess in hopes that I would stop, go away or whatever. Although I was glad to see my money back I was not amused that he wasted 14-16 months of my time waiting when I could have made other arrangements with another maker if he would have just been truthful up front.

I PM'ed him about this and Remy responded back a day or two later that Gary thought I was unhappy so he figured he would refund my money, stripping me of all the time I had waited. Unhappy was an understatement and I believe that I would still be waiting as I know other that are still waiting on the forum. In my defense I didn't write anything on the forums that was out of line, just fact's as to how long I have waited or things like that when asked by other forum members.

After Remy listened to my frustrated reply to her PM to me the next thing I know she is starting a thread that Gary is in the hospital. Remy did offer for me to send the check back to them and they would put me back on the book's but honestly I was happy to have gotten a refund and there was no way I was sending back anything.

Bottom line is, I am done with Gary Brommeland and will never order another holster from him or buy one through Coal Creek or any other business he is sending them to so he doesn't have to deal with all the pissed off customers anymore. Others can believe all the excuses, all the broken promises, all the it will ship out next week's if they want and praise the guy all they want online (I used to do it too) but I demand more from a business. Making a great holster is just one aspect of it.

Mark Garrity:

This ones easy! I ordered a holster October 14th 2006, was quoted a 4 month turn around, never heard a thing, never bothered the guy but once to change that order through email after a year of waiting that he never responded to. Then I see folks online posting there holsters that they had gotten in 4-7 months, did the math an contacted Mark as to what the deal was with my order, that others are posting there’s's online and only waited 4-6 months for them. Never heard anything back. Two weeks went by and the frustration of my ordeal with Gary and now Mark I fired him as my holster maker as well. I am not going to put up with it anymore from any maker. I never even got a response back from my not so nice email to Mark either.

Another great maker, I can't say if he has any excuses as the only email or contact I have ever gotten from Mark was "Got it" after I had to ask for a conformation to my order maybe 2-4 day's later just so that I would know he got it for sure. wasted 14 months of my time waiting as well, I canceled late November. The one thing I can say is he didn't take any money up front but also didn't deliver either. I am just glad I don't have to recover my money as I am not sure if I would ever get a response.

I know Mark is a LEO and makes holsters part time but that is not my problem, if he can not produce he needs to tell people that up front and not waste their time. I will never buy from Garrity again either he as well as Gary have lost a countless number of repeat business from me.

Basically, this is a consumers warning as my hope is that another customer will think twice before ordering and sending money to either of these makers.

That is all!

Ti
    Last edited by Ti Carry; December 24th, 2007 at 12:05 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Ranger Gunleather (greg Dunn), paid for 11 Dec 06, not a word since.
    Dave

Thanks for making this thread possible, Bumper. I agree there exists a need for a polite, realistic exchange of factual information about holster makers and wait times. It will help those making decisions about ordering new holsters, and help those of us in long waiting lines.

I've had an order in with Gary for a long time. I'd like to think he's going to deliver, but there's been no reliable, honest communication about when we can expect goods. I've been told lots of "it's 1-2 weeks out" and "it's completed and waiting for a weekend acrylic dip", but the order is way overdue.

It would go a long way if Gary and others could just post the total number of backlogged orders in their queue, and give us a monthly update on how many actually shipped. It could be completely anonymous and require very little time. Something like:

"Hey guys, my backlog is 200 holsters and I shipped 45 last month", or whatever.

It would give those of us waiting in line a sense of progress, as well as a "worst case scenario" sense of when the last orders should be filled. The orders are not being filled in the order they were received/paid for.
    Last edited by RobbW; December 24th, 2007 at 09:19 AM.

Administrator
    I think its pretty clear that holster makers are more artists than they are business men.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think its pretty clear that holster makers are more artists than they are business men.
    That's an awful broad statement. I think it could better be said that "some holster makers are not business men at all." Some however realize that being a business man is necessary to being a successful holster maker While being an artist is their primary desire these makers realize that their primary desire cannot be attained unless their business succeeds. Those who do realize this do one of two things. They either become versed enough in business to run their business well or they find a way to get help with the business part of the operation.

The ones who do not realize that being a business man is necessary or who never take the steps necessary to make sure the business end of the operation is done well end up with threads like this.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My only request is that whoever you are, if you took my order and expect to take my money, have the decency to let me know if it's going to take longer than you originally quoted! You don't have to even be a good business man to have a little common courtesy!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Bumper, thank you for the thread,

Gary Brommeland e-mailed me on the 20th of Dec. 2006
    I received your order today. We are running approximately 12 - 16 weeks on deliveries at this time...
    My check was cashed out at that time.

5 months later 22nd of May when my gear was due - actually it was already 1-2 months late - I politely asked him in an e-mail about my order, response was:
    Your order is coming up now, and I should be shipping it to you in 2-3 weeks. I will be sure and send you an email when it is on the way.

22nd of June an other inquiry from me and an other polite response from Gary Brommeland:
    With regards to your specific order, your holster has been started and will be completed early this week. The belt will be done later next week, or perhaps early the following week. We should be shipping them both in 10 days to 2 weeks.

16th of Jul at this point 3-4 months late I received that email from him what is also a sticky on the top of this page.
    We estimate that all of the old orders will be out within 90 days, and each customer will be emailed or telephoned when their order ships so that they be looking for them.

Well it never came....others have been waiting for 1 1/2 year so I don't even have big hopes.

Should have been told us that the current back-log is well over a year, and most of us would be willing to wait happily just to receive his holster instead of treating his customers like this.
    A quick search on other forums--->two-three years ago people went thru the same things, nothing have changed. He has a list of reasons a mile long...
    I know he had health problems recently, hope he is all well now.

One of the very top holster makers made a comment in a similar thread of mine on a different forum: And I also know the difference between being 6 to 8 weeks behind and 1 year behind when quoting a customer (as do other responsible makers) and am not so inept as to mistake one for the other when looking at the work stacked up in front of me.

Sure enough I am not going to do business with him in the future.
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

It seems there are a lot of problems with makers not delivering goods when promised. I would like to say that Tucker delivered the week they said they would and has always answered my e-mails quickly. They are my first choice when looking for leather.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Links