Received my new holster from K&D

This is a discussion on Received my new holster from K&D within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many of you already know how exciting it is to receive a new holster. I just received mine (last week) from Kevin (of K&D Holsters) ...

Many of you already know how exciting it is to receive a new holster. I just received mine (last week) from Kevin (of K&D Holsters) and it's beautiful and perfectly functional (according to my specs). I ordered a right-handed black Dakota Defender for my G19 w/ 20 degrees of cant. I opted for loops instead of clips. Looking back, I should've specified that I wanted loops that snap closed and open as opposed to screw-down loops, but Kevin and I working on getting that changed.

Attached is a picture of my new holster. The light isn't good and doesn't effectively show the quality and craftsmanship that he put into his work, but I knew I'd catch hell if I didn't post something look at.

For those of you interested in reviews, here's mine:
    It's everything I wanted it to be from a fit and finish perspective (except the loop mod, but that's on me, I should've specified). It fits the gun like a glove and stays put when it's on and where I positioned it. It's comfortable. very attractive, and it was affordable (under $80). More than being affordable, it certainly is worth more than I paid. It's a fantastic holster. It retains the weapon absolutely, and I honestly don't have a problem reholstering one-handed even though it lacks a mouth-band reinforcement (maybe Kevin can explain why that is - I don't know).

In the interest of honesty, it arrived a bit later than estimated - the estimate was for 10-12 (I took that as 12) weeks and it arrived 17 weeks later. I've arrived at the conclusion that when you order something custom made you're investing in more than the finished product - you're investing in what it means to you in addition to the utility you get from the thing. To me, a holster seems to be of greater value than a suit or leather shoes. At any rate, my knickers aren't in a twist over it. This will not be the last custom holster I order, but the next time I do order one I'll mentally add 20% to the delivery time and just go play with my daughter and the dog. Life ain't so bad.

I would, and do, certainly recommend K&D holsters for anyone out there that wants a custom made, fantastic looking holster at a very fair price, produced by a good man who runs his own business with some help from his wife (and who doesn't make you wait 2 years for your leather).

I'd also like to thank Kevin (this time publicly) for his work. Kevin - you make a mighty fine holster. I appreciate your work, sir.

Clint
    Attached Images

Thumbs up

Looks Great !!!
    I can't wait to order mine from Kevin.

Thanks for sharing. I have been interested in seeing a Dakota with the belt loops instead of the clips. How does the holster/gun ride on your belt? Appears as though the gun would ride somewhat high. If you get the chance, please post a pic with the rig on. Enjoy!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    looks great , but then we are talking Kevins craftsmanship and i would expect no less lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Very nice!

Administrator

Thumbs up

He is doing magnificent leather work and obviously it's keeping him quite busy.
    You know the old saying:
    If you build an exceptional holster the world will beat a path to your door.

Well, that saying really isn't that old since I just made it up right now.

Congrats on getting a super-fine holster for yourself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I debated on the loops when ordering mine. I finely decided on the clips and have been happy with them. I would love to see a pic of yours being worn. Like to know how it sits and conceals.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Does it ride high?

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I have been interested in seeing a Dakota with the belt loops instead of the clips. How does the holster/gun ride on your belt? Appears as though the gun would ride somewhat high. If you get the chance, please post a pic with the rig on. Enjoy!
    SlimJim:

It does ride pretty high, but retention is not a problem at all. If I were to have input into the design of one I might suggest it ride a bit lower, but again, there is no problem with the function of the holster. It's really more of a feel thing on my end and my idea that it's easier to conceal something that sits a little lower on the belt line.

Plan B

Very nice holster
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Yep, that's a great looking holster. I just got a Dakota Defender that I picked up from slimjim that I must say is also a great looking holster, my first K&D holster that I've gotten. Kevin is my new go to holster maker.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Thanks for the report and the pic. It's good to hear such positive remarks about the many great holstermakers who are the "real deal" and support us with their products. There are sure a lot of good guy makers, and they each deserve credit for a job well done.

I've seen many pics of Kevin's rigs, and look forward to supporting him with a couple of projects I've got coming up.

Don't forget he has gun rugs and knife sheaths as well!! I've got a couple of knife sheaths on order from him - can't wait!!

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    Attached is a picture of my new holster. The light isn't good and doesn't effectively show the quality and craftsmanship that he put into his work, but I knew I'd catch hell if I didn't post something look at.
    Do you have a pic of the Glock in the holster? I may also order one for my G26 with a 20 degree cant & was wondering what it would look like. Thanks!!!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Today marks the end of the 10th week in my wait for a Dakota Defender for my XD .40 Service. Only 4-6 more weeks to go, can't wait. I will be ordering another from Kevin as well as there is a XD .40 sub-compact in my future as well.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    He is doing magnificent leather work and obviously it's keeping him quite busy.
    You know the old saying:
    If you build an exceptional holster the world will beat a path to your door.

Well, that saying really isn't that old since I just made it up right now.

Congrats on getting a super-fine holster for yourself.
    Isn't that supposed to read..."...beat a path, with a gun, to your door."

I'm only a couple of hours away...got to plan a Harley ride down there...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links