Wal-Mart - Holster Making Paradise!

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart - Holster Making Paradise! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NOT. But... if you'll remember from this thread , the second part of my design idea was a concealed belt that would allow carrying IWB ...

Thread: Wal-Mart - Holster Making Paradise!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Wal-Mart - Holster Making Paradise!

NOT.

But... if you'll remember from this thread, the second part of my design idea was a concealed belt that would allow carrying IWB with pants that have no belt loops -or- for those that don't normally wear belts. As someone pointed out, the idea isn't original since someone makes a concealed belt rig already. Just wanted to be clear about that.

So, out of sheer boredom, I decided to take a crack at it.

I went to Wally World and bought a pair of suspenders that have the elastic bands in the width I wanted. Then I went to the sewing section and got a snap buckle or whatever they're called.

The result:

(Please excuse the bad photography. That's not my area of expertise)

So then I tried it out with the Sparks VMII and my Colt Defender:

The result? Definitely an idea worth pursuing! I put this on under a pair of black jeans and it was surprisingly comfortable. It was also easy to adjust by sliding it around in the 4:00 to 4:30-ish position.

The buckle is definitely larger than I would use (should have bought the smaller one). The other missing piece of the picture is the snaps as recommended in the other post. With the above rig, you have to be really careful about how high or low the holster rides and I could see it "adjusting" by itself without something holding it to the pants.

Anyway, I've confirmed to myself now that the hidden support belt idea is a good one. Now let's find a way to make those snaps!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Are you asking for snaps on both the belt and the holster (to snap them both together) to help hold it in place? If thats what you are needing snaps for, then why not velcro?

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Are you asking for snaps on both the belt and the holster (to snap them both together) to help hold it in place? If thats what you are needing snaps for, then why not velcro?
    This was all discussed (with illustrations) in the thread I linked above. The idea is a form of "beltless IWB" carry (with concealed belt as an option).

If you get the chance, please read that thread over and give us your input.

-miklcolt45

I wear bib overalls and wear a leather double layer belt with a Crossbreed holster under them with my Sig .40. It always stays in place and I've never been made by any of my customers. I'm usually in several different homes during the day and I've been carrying since Oklahoma allowed it and have never been noticed.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

My question is this: is going to all this trouble and expense worth it? Wouldn't it just be easier to get used to wearing a belt? And what is the big problem with a belt anyway?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I prefer the stiffer belt approach...my Fist IWB holster goes on and off pretty easily...very comfortable.

As a matter of fact, I have been using an older leather belt for a while now, and just today I switched back to my Wilderness Instructor's belt...noticed a big difference in support.

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    My question is this: is going to all this trouble and expense worth it? Wouldn't it just be easier to get used to wearing a belt? And what is the big problem with a belt anyway?
    What if someone is required to wear clothing with no belt loops? A poster in the other thread said that his wife has to wear nurse's scrubs. What about summer shorts with no belt loops?

There are also those of us who really just don't like wearing belts.

I'm mainly just trying to think outside the box here and look at other options aside from the traditional leather IWB/heavy belt combination.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    As a matter of fact, I have been using an older leather belt for a while now, and just today I switched back to my Wilderness Instructor's belt...noticed a big difference in support.

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    I also have the Wilderness Instructor's belt (plus a cheaper copy). They definitely give plenty of support.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've worn a martial arts belt under running shorts in order to carry in that fashion.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Blade Tech Industries has a lot of parts that can be used to make or add to concealed carry holsters, belts, etc... They are worth a look for such parts.

I like your thinking, Springer XD. I wear the much discriminated against bellyband for just the same reasons you listed for the belt+holster under clothes combo: wide strap against skin= comfort, integrated holster= no bulk or snaps, buckles to dig or catch. most gunboarders gafaw (sp?) at a bellyband, but I think the degree of concealment + accessability you are looking for is a valid concept!! for thinking out the box

Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    I like your thinking, Springer XD. I wear the much discriminated against bellyband for just the same reasons you listed for the belt+holster under clothes combo: wide strap against skin= comfort, integrated holster= no bulk or snaps, buckles to dig or catch. most gunboarders gafaw (sp?) at a bellyband, but I think the degree of concealment + accessability you are looking for is a valid concept!! for thinking out the box
    Thanks! Yeah, I would love to see more options out there than just the traditional belt/IWB concept.

-miklcolt45

I question the use of an elastic suspender strap. IMHO elastic could hinder the draw by stretching rather than immobilizing the holster.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    I question the use of an elastic suspender strap. IMHO elastic could hinder the draw by stretching rather than immobilizing the holster.
    I've been thinking that same thing. Not only that, but elastic belts tend to imprint themselves onto the skin after a few hours. I think a better solution might be something non-stretchy. Canvas comes to mind, but I would probably want something solid with no imprint against the skin.

-miklcolt45

Links