Anyone use a pocket holster with cargo pants?

This is a discussion on Anyone use a pocket holster with cargo pants? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Specifically, any of you carry a pocket holster in the cargo pockets? I'm talking about the additional pockets along the thigh. Most of them are ...

Thread: Anyone use a pocket holster with cargo pants?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Anyone use a pocket holster with cargo pants?

Specifically, any of you carry a pocket holster in the cargo pockets? I'm talking about the additional pockets along the thigh. Most of them are large enough to hold a small pistol.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I tried a 642 for about 1 minute. The weight of the gun made it swing around when I walked and the gun didn't stay upright like it needs to.

Yes, I've tried, but as previous, the gun tends to swing a lot. Same for my wallet! Do a search, I started a pants mod to try and convert it to a psuedo drop-leg holster, but the Blackhawk strap I used is too bulky and uncomfortable. I think some plain old cloth or simple velcro might work better, but haven't tried. You could also wear some biking type undershorts to keep the scratchy strap off the skin I guess.

Some pics of my Desantis Super Fly holster modded to take a strap in the back. That's a 3" carry 1911 45!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I purchased a Kel-Tec P32 that I keep in my cargo pants with a Galco Pocket Protector holster. It works fairly well but is definitely designed for a front pants pocket. The rig tends to move around quite a bit in a cargo pocket. The other thing that I have noticed (and never really thought about) is that after keeping a pistol in a pocket it gets full of lint. You need to be very diligent in cleaning it regularly. Dust Bunnies in a pistol = bad news!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I see. That's something I hadn't thought about; the weight factor. It makes sense.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    When I'm working I sometimes throw a pair of handcuffs in one of those side pockets. They bang against my shins bad enough that I'm always rethinking the wisdom of such a move.

I've tried a gun like that in a Mika pocket holster but don't think I left it in the pocket more than a minute or two for reasons specified above.

5.11 Tactical clothing has Velcro in their cargo pockets and make a number of accessories that allegedly will fit the pockets. If you insist, you could give it a try.

Hello All,Cargo pants are about the only pants i wear anymore as they are much more comfortable than blue jeans.I've been carrying a Keltec P3AT in a pocket holster for over a yr now.I hardly even notice it.
    Its in a Desantis pocket holster.
    Attached Images

I carry a Seecamp .32 in a pocket holster by Ron Graham, Palehorse leather. It's as close to perfect as you can get.

Hey Holster Makers......You Listenin'?????? I am guessing(?) something with an extra wide base sturdy (Kydex or leather),support the weight of the gun in the holster and keep it up right would be the ticket. Who here does not wear something with a cargo or auxiliary pocket on it?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Mine fits in my front pocket quite easily. It is impossible to tell what I am carrying. I mean totally concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Hey Holster Makers......You Listenin'?????? I am guessing(?) something with an extra wide base sturdy (Kydex or leather),support the weight of the gun in the holster and keep it up right would be the ticket. Who here does not wear something with a cargo or auxiliary pocket on it?
    For my Rough Out pocket holster, you can send me a tracing of your pocket and I can make an exact holster to fit it. I have done some large and interesting pocket holsters.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I sometimes carry my PM9 in 5.11 cargo pants pocket. Use an inexpensive Uncle Mike's nylon holster. (I know... I should upgrade to something better!)

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    For my Rough Out pocket holster, you can send me a tracing of your pocket and I can make an exact holster to fit it. I have done some large and interesting pocket holsters.

+1, that is really the best way to get what you want. I've been making quite a few pocket holsters specific to the users needs.

I get e-mails/pm's with, can you change the gun to face a little more this way? or how about covering my hammer?

Usually is not a problem...

Links