Thumb Break or Not?

This is a discussion on Thumb Break or Not? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to get a holster for my Kahr P45, a #14 from Fist Inc, and can not decide whether or not to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Break or Not?

Thumb Break or Not?

I am going to get a holster for my Kahr P45, a #14 from Fist Inc, and can not decide whether or not to get the thumb break. What do you guys think?

Jeff

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thumb breaks just slow you down. If nobody knows you're armed they shouldn't be trying to grab your gun. A well made holster will keep the gun in place without anything holding it in.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Thumb breaks just slow you down. If nobody knows you're armed they shouldn't be trying to grab your gun. A well made holster will keep the gun in place without anything holding it in.
    I might add in my circumstances I need to have a thumb brake as I sometimes have to craw around under buildings and dangle off scaffolding, not to mention being on roofs. I have had a few slips untill I got a thumb brake. With practice I cant see where it slows one down at all, just like everything else, just takes mundo practice!
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Also take into consideration what type of carry you will be utilizing and remember that with an IWB holster the snuggness of the belt will also give a level of security ir regards to weapon stability in holster. May or may not help with a gun grab but concealed is concealed. If it doesn't "print" nobody will know it's there to grab. OMO

MikeV

It really depends on your needs.

My job sometimes requires me to wrestle someone to the ground. The last thing I want is for my sidearm to become dislodged in a scuffle, so I have holsters with thumb breaks (well, one of them is SERPA but it works as well IMHO).

If you aren't going to be wrestling, running long distances, jumping over fences, etc. you may not need it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Tough call. I've used them; but, my favorite holster model, VM2, doesn't have one, and I don't really miss it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Generally, I'd say it's unneeded, unless it's something that makes you feel more comfortable, or if you anticipate a lot of rolling around on the ground, running, jumping, very physical activities while wearing the holster. And even then, maybe.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    It really is up to you... personally I don't have any holsters with a thumb break, I don't think it's necessary for CCW.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by overplayed View Post
    I am going to get a holster for my Kahr P45, a #14 from Fist Inc, and can not decide whether or not to get the thumb break. What do you guys think?

Jeff
    I have a Fist #14. You won't need a thumb break. The gun seats very securely. Looking at the online catalogue, the #14 isn't shown with a thumbreak. Would you order it as an add on?

I dont like them but that is my opinion. The only way i see them useful is if you are going to be very physically active. But they will require more quick draw practice....hope this helps

VIP Member
    I personally don't care for a thumb break holster. However that being said, since you are in a legal open carry state, you might want one for times you want/need to open carry.

if you need retention, i'd recommend not using something covering hammer area of the weapon (i.e. serpa level 3). i prefer something holding the trigger guard, like the bianchi 83 or serpa level 2's. my thoughts are there external things (like a shirt) that can make it not work as well, or fail.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Looking at the online catalogue, the #14 isn't shown with a thumbreak. Would you order it as an add on?
    You can add the thumb break for $30. You can also have any of their leather holsters lined with kydex for $40. I think it would be pointless to do both, but I am considering one or the other.

a well fitted holster should hold your gun in place even if someone is shaking you upside down, but if you are planning on doing lots of stuff where you are worried about it falling out then get one, otherwise no. for 95% of the people out there, they are not at all necessary and only slow you down.

VIP Member
    I have a #14 for my 4 inch 38 revolver.. I believe I could do cartwheels and the gun would stay put. It would be very difficult for someone to pull it out of the holster sideways too. Excellent holster. Good choice. We expect reviews and pics whichever way you go....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links