Shoulder holster adjustment / fitting

This is a discussion on Shoulder holster adjustment / fitting within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Merry Christmas to me, I have a new Andrews Monarch shoulder holster for a glock 17/22. What is the best position to adjust where the ...

Thread: Shoulder holster adjustment / fitting

Shoulder holster adjustment / fitting

Merry Christmas to me, I have a new Andrews Monarch shoulder holster for a glock 17/22.

What is the best position to adjust where the gun sits (how far below the armpit?, how far back or forward? angled or parallel to the ground?) Mine seems to have the back of the shoulder holster area ride up to the back of my neck over time.

Is there any way to adjust these so they do not ride up the back?

I've done some draw and fire with the beamhit on the shoulder holster and am definitely slower with that method. Hopefully my time to draw/fire will improve as I practice more. Plus I am having some difficulties opening the snap with my thumb.

Any other sage advice to someone new to shoulder holsters and retention snaps welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Retention snaps are hard at first, but will get easier. The key technical difference is this: on a belt holster, the gun is held in place so you can drive your hand onto the gun and the thumb break all at the same time. But the s/h does not immobilize the gun, so you have to get a partial grip on the gun handle FIRST, and then work the thumb break. If you attempt to do both at once, the gun will just squirt away from your reaching hand.

Where the gun and mag pouch should be positioned is personal, but I will say that it's NOT like on TV, where the gun hangs low. They do that on TV and movies for the reason they do everything else -- because it looks cool. Also it works for actor physiques (typically: super-narrow torsos).

You'll want the gun fairly high up near the armpit. Depending on your arm length vs barrel-chestedness, you'll want the handle fairly forward. There's a subtle trade-off of: how far forward the handle is vs angle of the gun vs how far up or down it is vs your body shape. IMO, have the handle as far forward as possible until it starts to print. You don't need to angle the muzzle up unless the barrel prints.

For my body shape, I simply can't use the standard vertical mag pouches -- I need the horizontal style.

I am no expert but this is what i did.

The rig should sit slightly muzzle high.
    high under the arm pit.

And a key is make SMALL adjustments.
    Mine took over a week to get just perfect before I cut any strap length off.
    It would seem to sit fine then an hour later it was high on my neck, shifted...or just not comfy. so i'd make a small adjustment...wear for a while longer...hour(s). adjust again.
    I do not use retention straps. I have a double mag pouch to somewhat balance it out.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
    And a key is make SMALL adjustments.
    Indeed -- expect to budget an afternoon just to get your first best-guess adjustment. test it standing and seated. Sit in front of the TV and draw a hundred times while watching. Make sure the gun doesn't drift forward.

I'd suggest that you call Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com and talk to him. He is a great guy, very easy to talk to and would be honored to advise you.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Thanks for the input. I am going to make some adjustments and see how it feels for comfort and not riding up. When I called Andrews to give my order I talked to someone for a few minutes about the shoulder holster. I don't know if it was Sam or someone else.

I was suprised at how quick it came. I ordered it on a Monday afternoon, it was shipped the next day and arrived at my home on Saturday.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar

Links