Homemade pocket holster for a Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Homemade pocket holster for a Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found myself yesterday with a new to me gun that I wanted to pocket carry, but I didn't have a holster to do it ...

Thread: Homemade pocket holster for a Kahr PM9

I found myself yesterday with a new to me gun that I wanted to pocket carry, but I didn't have a holster to do it in. So I sat down at my desk and using common materials found most anywhere created a functional pocket holster. My initial "design" used staples, but I found that staples had a tendency to pull out.

Here is how I made it. I used was the plastic cover from a three ring binder and 3 rivets from the local Tandy Leather. I wrapped the gun in the plastic and trimmed it with scissors. Then I punched the holes where the rivets where going and set the rivets. In the holster with the grip extender, the gun is a fairly large package. Good thing I have large & deep pockets. It hides very nicely. It works great in cargo pockets too since it keeps the gun from rotating.

Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

It looks good, I like that the natural curves of the material you used help break up the print of the gun. That said, does it do a good job of keeping the gun in it? Did you use anything inside the holster for retention? Just curious.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

There's no retention for the gun. It will slip right out, but that's what I had planned for it. My understanding is there are two main types of pocket holsters, those that have retention usually have some kind of hook to snag it on the pocket on the way out so it doesn't pull out with the gun and those without retention which are used to keep things out of the trigger guard and to position the gun for a quick and easy grasp. Now I may take some heat to the plastic and mold it a little more on the inside, not for retention, but to further cinch up the fit around the trigger guard to keep things from getting in there.

Senior Moderator
    Looks like it will work...the price is right...(at that price, I would always 'double' the order...)

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Good job, but it would feel more "authentic" if you had made yourself wait six months to get it....

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    There's no retention for the gun. It will slip right out, but that's what I had planned for it. My understanding is there are two main types of pocket holsters, those that have retention usually have some kind of hook to snag it on the pocket on the way out so it doesn't pull out with the gun and those without retention which are used to keep things out of the trigger guard and to position the gun for a quick and easy grasp. Now I may take some heat to the plastic and mold it a little more on the inside, not for retention, but to further cinch up the fit around the trigger guard to keep things from getting in there.
    My main curiosity was essentially what you covered with the last part of your response. I was afraid maybe it'd move around a bit and if it popped up enough, with such a soft material maybe it'd come down with the material somehow folded into the trigger area (of course, given extremely rare circumstances).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Good idea. That's a cool blog you have there. Your ideas are pretty solid.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Thanks semperfi, I try to take a common sense approach to things.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Looks like it will work...the price is right...(at that price, I would always 'double' the order...)

Stay armed...stay safe!
    You know I think I'll make another one that has a shorter flange to go with when I don't use a Pearce Grip on the gun. Make it a more compact package. I'll look to see what other color binders I have...maybe I have red one or green on somewhere.

Looks very functional.

Good job.
    www.RKBAconcealment.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links