Why (squeak) does (squeak) leather (squeak) squeak so much @#$!

This is a discussion on Why (squeak) does (squeak) leather (squeak) squeak so much @#$! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a number of "premimum" leather holsters e.g. a Kramer horsehide, several Fist holsters, Galco, DeSantis, etc. and they all squeak when I walk! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why (squeak) does (squeak) leather (squeak) squeak so much @#$!

Senior Moderator

Why (squeak) does (squeak) leather (squeak) squeak so much @#$!

I have a number of "premimum" leather holsters e.g. a Kramer horsehide, several Fist holsters, Galco, DeSantis, etc. and they all squeak when I walk!

Even the leather belt loops on my Fist Kydex holster squeaks. And a person walking beside me can easily hear it.

After some investigation, I have discovered that the squeak on my Kydex holster comes from where the leather belt loops contact my double wide, 1-1/2" gun belt.

I've tried silicon sprays, recommended by one manufacturer, but it doesn't help. I've even tried roughing up the contact side of the leather belt straps with coarse sandpaper to try to get that broken in effect - that didn't work either!

What I have found that does eliminate the squeak is a very thin coating of Vasoline on the contact side of the belt loops, and I mean a very thin coating.

Before you get your hopes up, the Vasoline "solution" is only temporary - it seems to be good for most of the day. But at least it keeps me from squeaking when I walk. So I've started putting that very thin coating of Vasoline on my carry holster of the day every morning. The other thing is, the Vasoline may make the holster slick enough to slide a bit on the belt. I haven't noticed that so much but depending on the holster and belt I can see how it could.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - the dreaded squeak!! The worst prob I had was with my Bianchi X-15 sho rig - and the main culprit was the belt attachment loop and where it was fixed to bottom of main holster. I learned to live with it but it was irritating to say least.

My current K&D rig for the SIG is quiet and never squeaked or creaked - same with the one for the SP-101. Not sure why other than fact that being belt slide, the tension across rig because of belt going thru the two slots, is significant and it can't move much - it is tight to body.

I have yet to discover a foolproof cure tho I have to say! Maybe our esteemed rig maker members can comment.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up Ha Ha

Don't try to sneak up on any cats guys! Squeak Squeak

BTW on leather holsters rubbing some talcum powder into the stitching holes sometimes works. I dunno what to do about squeaking Kydex.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Don't try to sneak up on any cats guys! Squeak Squeak :rofl

BTW on leather holsters rubbing some talcum powder into the stitching holes sometimes works. I dunno what to do about squeaking Kydex.
    Leather and sneak is an oxymoron. There - I've always wanted to use that word.

It's not the Kydex squeakin' it's the leather belt loops that attaches the holster to the belt.

Administrator

Wink Tangle

oxymoron??

Hey! What did you just call me???

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    oxymoron??

Hey! What did you just call me???

I don't suppose you'd believe that oxymoron was a compliment? I didn't think so.

You are puttin' me on, right?

Administrator

Talking Tangle

With me...

This: Equals This:
    Yes, I'm kidding.

Lead Moderator
    I found mink oil on the leather will reduce the squeek. But it does soften the leather so maybe just around the contact areas. You think you have it bad, try wearing a PD duty belt and all the gear.

1952 - 2006
    I have found that using an aerosol silcone spray will help with not only squeak but with smoothness of the draw as well. You can usually find a good quality spray can at Home Depot.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrator

Thumbs up acparmed

Yep, Silicone.
    Make SURE the can reads: 100% Silicone or "Pure Silicone Spray"
    Don't use anything else.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I sometime use a wax candle, and rub it on the belt where the loops will be, on and in the loops of the holster, and a film on the back of the holster. Works well.

I have also used a couple of liquid solutions that are very slick, and may contain teflon. They work, but are expensive.
    Try the candle wax.

Jerry

I can vouch for the wax. I treated my holsters and belt and none have squeaked in several months.

SSKC

Senior Moderator
    I haven't tried the candle wax yet; sounds like a good and inexpensive solution. I did try the silicon spray again, and it either didn't help or made the squeak worse.

The super light coat of Vasoline is proving to work well also. It does need to be a light coat, because it does penetrate the leather and it will soften it. Since I'm only using it on leather straps it's not so much of a problem.

But, the candle wax may be the best remedy, since it won't soften the leather.

If your using a holster with slide holes, thread the belt around the front of the holster. Not through the back. It will bring the holster up against your body and hold it in place alot firmer. Squeaks are caused by the holster moving. Slide holsters can be used both ways

If your using a IWB holster and it squeaks try a different belt.

If you take off your gun alot use a paddle holster but don't use one for a large frame, they tend to tip out. If you do use one for a large frame, stick it in your belt backwards with the paddle out and the holster in.

This is from a guy that's been carrying over 30 years and has more holsters than money in the bank. I've all ready made all the mistakes possible buying holsters.

I love the squeak, but I've been acused of being weird. It's comforting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links