M-Tac Holster: my review

This is a discussion on M-Tac Holster: my review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been carrying my Glock-26 in a Crossbreed IWB holster that I originally ordered for a Taurus PT-140, which I no longer own. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-Tac Holster: my review

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

M-Tac Holster: my review

I had been carrying my Glock-26 in a Crossbreed IWB holster that I originally ordered for a Taurus PT-140, which I no longer own. The Glock fit in it, but was loose and could fall out if I bent over.

I heard many good things about the C-Tac and M-Tac, and wanted to get something made for the G-26/G-19. The M-Tac seemed to be closest to the Crossbreed, which I thought was a pretty good holster, so, I ordered the M-Tac Slide model which is open on the bottom so both my Glock-26 and my Glock-19 which I carry interchangeably, could be carried in the same holster; of course not at the same time.
    Additionally, for $35 more, I ordered an extra body for my Sig-P239. So this holster gives me the flexibility of carrying three different guns.

I ordered the holster last Wednesday, the next day I received an email saying the process would take a week to 10 days.....not bad. The following day I received an email that the order was complete and would be shipped the next day. Today, (Monday) I received the holster. Wow, very impressive service, total of five days!

I was very curious to compare it to the Crossbreed. Here's my impression: In the comfort department, both are quite comfortable, with nothing poking or sticking me.

Concealability: Hands down, the M-Tac just does not print on me. I don't know why, but it seems to hold the guns closer to my body and well hidden.

Flexibility: Here again the M-Tac wins. You can change the height that the gun carries as well as the cant of the gun with the M-Tac. My Crossbreed has a fixed position, although I understand that their Supertuck allows you to change the position.

Ease of use: I find the standard clips on the M-Tac a breeze to put on and off my gun belt; whereas the J-Clips of the Crossbreed are a pain.

Overall Quality: Both seem very well made, and high quality, but, I'd give the edge to the M-Tac as far as stitching and kydex structure.

Finally, and probably most important, the M-Tac holds the gun quite securely and yet allows you to draw very easily, and holster with one hand just as easily.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the M-Tac. Great service, great communication, and a great product.

2. Remove Ads

Nice looking holster (I've been thinking of getting one) but man that looks like a lot of leather to be stuffing down my pants. What's the point of that extra 1.5-2 inches below the muzzle? I just don't want to feel like I have a paperback in my pants pocket ya' know?

Have you ever worn a CTAC? I'm curious how it compares......

I didn't order the C-tac, because although there is a great deal of praise for holster, many complain about the kydex portion above the waist, sticking in their sides. I do like the idea of the C-tac clicking in when you holster the gun.

The extra leather is such, that you don't even feel it. Here in Florida, I'd rather have the leather against my skin if I choose not to wear an undershirt.

The M Tac is GREAT. I love mine. I bought the GLOCK 19 model several months ago, and it fits all four of my Glocks, 19,23,26 & 27. I prefer not having the muzzle exposed. The extra leather at the base, helps distribute the weight, and avoids any pressure points, it does not make the holster bulky to wear.

I just got an MTAC yesterday for a Glock 19. I'm still trying it out, but one thing I noticed right away is that the leather creaks. Have others noticed this? Does it go away?

Also, though I ordered a G19 holster (full body), I'm currently carrying a G27 in it until I get my 19. This is something people should consider if they don't like the slide design. I don't know if a holster model made for a G17 would work for a 19 and 26, but I don't see why not.

I have three M-tac holsters I rotate carry guns occasionally. Never had a problem with one creaking. The M-tac keeps the grip close to the body, but you can draw very easily. With the M-tac I feel that you can comfortably conceal any large auto and/or most large revolvers. I have had mine since September and carried in hot weather covering in the "tucked mode" wearing a golf type polo shirt or a t-shirt. M-tac is the most comfortable holster I have ever used, like most people on this forum I have the proverbal box of holsters with the M-tac hopefully the box won't get any larger.
    I have not used a crossbred but I think the supertuck would be a good holster.

So now I'm wondering - do other MTACs creak? If mine is an isolated problem, I can return it for another.

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    Nice looking holster (I've been thinking of getting one) but man that looks like a lot of leather to be stuffing down my pants. What's the point of that extra 1.5-2 inches below the muzzle? I just don't want to feel like I have a paperback in my pants pocket ya' know?
    I believe the leather is there to accommodate longer guns--The same leather piece is used for all guns.

The bit below the muzzle molds to your shape, and is very comfortable--No sharp corners, just smooth gradual curves. I suspect that a straight across cut would not be as comfortable, even with a short gun.

My MTAC didn't creak (much) and after a week or two the leather 'broke in" and molded to my hips....no problemsat all.

I have a CTAC....wonderful holster.......but the leather on the MTAC is much more comfortable in the FL/GA heat when all I'm wearing is shorts and a tee shirt.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Have a MTAC for a glock 27..ended up cutting the "tail" of excess leather off at the bottom..works much better....give the leather time to break in if you carry at 3:00 position...

I think I'll go for it.......maybe wait a couple months but it looks good.

Woot woot! My MTAC shipped out today for my G30. Thus far Comp-Tac is getting two thumbs up from me. I have tried several holsters for my daily carry G19 and have liked my Sidearmor the best. However this will be my first holster for the new G30 so I figured the MTAC was worth a shot. It sure looks nice.

Let us know how you like it when it arrives.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I bought mine based on the positive opinions I read here. I ordered one on Thursday night (1/3) and they shipped mine out the very next day. Should have it by the end of next week.

Quote Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
    Have a MTAC for a glock 27..ended up cutting the "tail" of excess leather off at the bottom..works much better....give the leather time to break in if you carry at 3:00 position...
    I think I'm going to throw my 19 in my MTAC and cut the tail off too. I typically carry my Glock 26 in it but the 19 conceals just as good and that damn tail bugs me. That is the 1 and only thing that could be improved but I understand why it is long so it's not really a flaw or fault of the holster.
    If Guns cause Crime, then Pencils cause Misspelled words.....

NE CCW
    Nebraska Concealed Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links