USP45, best concealment option?

This is a discussion on USP45, best concealment option? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if this one's been answered before, but I couldn't find it using the search feature. What's the best IWB to conceal a fullsize USP ...

Thread: USP45, best concealment option?

USP45, best concealment option?

Sorry if this one's been answered before, but I couldn't find it using the search feature.

What's the best IWB to conceal a fullsize USP (I know, it's a big gun to conceal). I've heard of folks using the C-TAC, but was wondering if there were any other options that I'm overlooking.
    The M-TAC looks good to me. Anyone have any experience concealing this pistol and care to give advice?

TIA
    Jason

2. Remove Ads

I would like to hear responses on this also. I have a MTAC but no shell for the USP 45. I would think the decocking and safety levers might be a problem on the MTAC. Anybody have one?

what conceals best very much depends on your body type.
    my fiance has his USPc.45 in a ctac and it works great though

I too am interested as I carry a full sized HK USP .45
    Think twice
    Buy once!

IWB is a good start, but you're going to need some baggy clothes too. That's a big gun. Big grip, big slide - big spare mags too. I think a Comp-Tac would be a good way to start - a CTAC or MTAC would make sense. If you can't hide it, you'll be able to sell it so someone else can try. JMHO

Austin

Wow, that is a really big gun to be shoving in your pants.

I'd look for a holster with a very large rear panel to help distribute the pressure the gun will cause. Something like a Comp-tac M-tac or one of the CrossBreed holsters would probably work best.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

what conceals best very much depends on your body type.
    I'm medium build. About 5'10", 185 lb.
    I've tried tucking it into my waistband to see where it should ride, and it seems to conceal best at about 1:00, where there's a natural indentation next to the hip bone, and also at 4:30-5:00, with the grip pointed in towards my spine. I could also get away with it down the front of my pants a la smartcarry, but that looks like an awfully slow draw to me.
    I should also note that I usually wear my pants fairly baggy, and usually have a button-down shirt untucked. I figured that would also help a little.

Jason

OWB with Don Hume, never IWB though...

The few times I have carried my USP 45 concealed, I have used an OWB holster by Don Hume called the "Double Nine". It works well and is a fairly inexpensive pancake holster with a belt loop on either side of the gun. I have worn it in the winter with a coat on. The USP 45 is a fairly wide gun for IWB carry unless you have pretty large pants on.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I've carried a full sized SIG P-220 with rail in a VM-II, I can't imagine it wouldn't work every bit as well for your USP!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yeah, it's a bit thicker than a P220. The thickness isn't that bad, though. It's the end of the grip that causes the most problems. A flat floorplate on the mags might alleviate some of it.

Jason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_G View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit thicker than a P220. The thickness isn't that bad, though. It's the end of the grip that causes the most problems. A flat floorplate on the mags might alleviate some of it.

Jason
    Another option if the butt is printing is to move the holster more toward the rear. (approx. 1630) This places the grip more in line with the back. It works for some builds, not for others.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If you're having a hard time concealing the grip/magazine pad, try wearing it at 2:45-3:00. My 1911 has a mag well and I use Tripp Research mags (big base pads) and I try to get the grip to be in line with the thickness of my body - then when I bend over, the fabric is on my back, not my gun. Its not the most comfortable, but its not bad. Most importantly, it conceals well and is fast to draw from.

It sounds like you wear clothes that are big enough to hide the gun. I don't think you'll have much trouble concealing it with baggy pants and an untucked button down shirt - I hide my 1911 in a polo shirt/T-shirt and jeans (normal jeans...like old people wear.)

Austin

Links