Crossbreed Supertuck vs. Sparks VMII vs. Brommeland MaxCon V

This is a discussion on Crossbreed Supertuck vs. Sparks VMII vs. Brommeland MaxCon V within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can I get some opinions, please, preferably from those who own or have owned at least two of these? I have a Sparks VMII for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossbreed Supertuck vs. Sparks VMII vs. Brommeland MaxCon V

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Crossbreed Supertuck vs. Sparks VMII vs. Brommeland MaxCon V

Can I get some opinions, please, preferably from those who own or have owned at least two of these?

I have a Sparks VMII for a Colt Defender.

I have a Brommeland MaxCon V for a Springfield XD 45 Compact.

Here's the situation. I love the VMII and one of the things I love about it is the steel-reinforced mouth for easy reholstering. BUT.... I no longer carry the Colt Defender because it can't get along with JHP's.

So I bought a MaxCon V for the XD 45 Compact. It's comfortable, attractive, etc...., but reholstering isn't fun. Several on here have said that it's easy for them, but my experience hasn't been the same.

Which brings me to the point. Because of the reholstering issue, I want to try something else for the XD. I know I would like a VMII, but I don't want to deal with the wait. I'm also intererested in the Crossbreed Supertuck because....

1. It looks comfortable
    2. I keep hearing how great it is
    3. The kydex will probably aid in reholstering

In all honesty, I find the VMII more comfortable than the MaxCon V. Maybe it's not a fair comparison because of two different pistols, but I also don't like the way the MaxCon caves in when I draw. And no, the belt isn't on "too tight."

Since all three holsters are excellent quality, that's not an issue. The main thing I'm looking for here is a comparison based on comfort and reholstering.

Thanks.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Brommeland makes a holster now with the reinforced mouth, but how to wait or where to find one, that would be the real issue. I gave up waiting and bought a M Tac

I've owned all three of the holsters mentioned. The Crossbreed can be reholstered one handed, though probably not as easy as the VM2, given it's design. It is fairly comfortable, but in a different league as say the Max-Con/VM2. If I was to rank comfort level - MaxCon > VM2 > Crossbreed. Though, I feel the opposite as you about the reinforced mouth, as I don't particulary care for them.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

The reinforced mouth ease of reholstering is only important on the range. In a real-live shoot situation, you'll most likely be laying the gun down on the ground. In the events when I've drawn and not shot, I simply shove it down the back of my pants in the "Mexican Carry" style until it's more appropriate to holster up. My most comfortable IWB for 1911's is the Brommeland MaxConV. It does work best to use two hands when inserting the pistol, my left thumb to open it. Very close in comfort is the Sparks VMII, which is easily holstered with one hand, but you do give up a little in bulk. No experience with the Crossbreed, but Kydex and I don't get along.
    Tracy

Dude, your all over the place on this.

I am actually the complete opposite where as the VM-II does not work for me but the Max-Con V is by far "one of" the most comfortable holsters out there available. Don't know much about a Crossbreed, but haven't heard anything bad about them either.

Here's the thing, why do you need to reholster so much while you are concealed carrying? I don't get it at all. I get dressed in the morning, where it all day, come home and where it until I change, the gun NEVER leaves the holster at any point unless there is something specific I am doing with my handgun.

If you want a thick, heavy, bulky, steel band and a leather reinforced mouth for a holster and wear it 16 hours a day be my guest, but not me. I want the thinnest, lightest, most comfortable and most concealable holster I can get and the VM-II ain't it for me. I had both the VM-II and the Heritage and sold them both after 1 day of use.

I am not trying to dog the VM-II at all, many think they love them or actually do love them and seem to work for them.

I just don't get why reholstering "with ease" is important for concealed carry at all.

In all honesty, I find the VMII more comfortable than the MaxCon V.
    From your post, I would say get another VM-II as that seems what you like the best. Don't count out the CB tho.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Here's the thing, why do you need to reholster so much while you are concealed carrying? I don't get it at all. I get dressed in the morning, where it all day, come home and where it until I change, the gun NEVER leaves the holster at any point unless there is something specific I am doing with my handgun.
    If you go to training classes, you'll need to reholster.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    If you go to training classes, you'll need to reholster.
    We are talking about "daily" carrying, not training.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I've been to Gunsite...wonderful trainining, but far from the real world of up close and personal encounters. Indeed, you have to reholster there a bunch. I doubt that skill will ever come up in real life.

The VM II simply does not work for me. I have a bud that would have no other holster. I think looks and craftsmenship goes without saying would belong to the higher end holsters. I like the CB supertuck for comfort. It stays hidden, so I am not concerned with the "looks". It is simple in design, it is affordable, it is quickly obtained, it has a trial period, it has a lifetime warranty. Like someone else mentioned, the CB is in a different class than the other holsters you mentioned. I say use what works. Sometimes different guns or different dress style requires a change of holster. I don't think you would be disappointed in the CB as far as comfort goes, but if you are breaking them out for show & tell - your VM II might win the beauty contest.

Dude, your all over the place on this.

I am actually the complete opposite where as the VM-II does not work for me but the Max-Con V is by far "one of" the most comfortable holsters out there available. Don't know much about a Crossbreed, but haven't heard anything bad about them either.

If you want a thick, heavy, bulky, steel band and a leather reinforced mouth for a holster and wear it 16 hours a day be my guest, but not me. I want the thinnest, lightest, most comfortable and most concealable holster I can get and the VM-II ain't it for me. I had both the VM-II and the Heritage and sold them both after 1 day of use.

I am not trying to dog the VM-II at all, many think they love them or actually do love them and seem to work for them.

I just don't get why reholstering "with ease" is important for concealed carry at all.

From your post, I would say get another VM-II as that seems what you like the best. Don't count out the CB tho.

Ti
    Not wanting a whole genre of holster to be misreprensented here and for the sake of putting things is perspective, here's my .02

The bulky heavy steel top band you refer to adds approximately 1 1/2 ozs to a holster of the same size and leather weight of a single ply holster. For the sake of comparison I weighed both a Watch Six and a VM-2 that were made for an Officers model.

Thickness? The leather topband of a VM-2 is of 3 1/2 oz weight which calculates out to 3/64" to 1/16" thickness, max!

Times that by 2 to equal the combined thickness of both front and back and you have no more than an additional 1/8".

The metal used for mouth reinforcement on the VM-2 is of 20 gauge steel which measures out to about 1/64" of an inch.

Double the metal thickness to account for front and back and that equals 1/32".

Add the doubled thickness of the leather and metal combined 1/8"+ 1/32"= 5/32". Or for the sake of argument and to err on the side of heavy, lets say it equals 6/32" or 3/16". Heck lets err even further on the side of heavy and say that a reinforced topband on the VM-2 adds a full 1/4"!

Now who wears that tight of a cover garment that a 1/4" of extra thickness is going make or break concealment?

If you have a full size 1911 which weighs about 39oz and add a holster that weighs 1 1/2 oz less than another, do you really think you would notice the difference if you didn't know in advance that one was heavier than the other?

As far as why someone would want a metal reinforced mouth in a concealment holster as opposed to one that's not, some of us actually like to train with the same equipment we carry in. I may not have to withdraw and insert my gun into my holster several times a day, but when I do practice, I prefer not switch to another holster for the deed, but rather use the one I have on already. As a bonus, if my holster ever loosens up, I can adjust the retention by slightly pinching shut the metal reinforcement. It's not just for keeping the mouth open you know.

many think they love them...
    That is the line that made me want to respond to this thread. As you know, IWB comfort is subjective and varies by the individual. If you didn't find a reinforced mouth to be your cup of tea, I can understand that and that's fine. You should go with what works best for you. Just so you know though, at least 14 out of every 15 IWB holsters we sell are of the reinforced mouth genre which seems to be the preference of those who do business with us. I just did my year end talley for 07 and our sales topped $650,000 for the last year and most of that was IWB holster generated. Since the bulk of our clientle tend to be educated in matters of training, concealed carry and self defense, I'll defer to them and give them the benefit of the doubt on what they "think" they love.

I have no problem with what you said otherwise. What works for you is most important.

T
    Second Best is not an option

Administrator

Thumbs up

Appreciated posting by Sparks.
    Measured and weighed actual facts and figures always a welcome addition.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    Thickness? The leather topband of a VM-2 is of 3 1/2 oz weight which calculates out to 3/64" to 1/16" thickness, max!
    Yep. I prefer a steel reinforced mouth. The way I look at it, the holster is at its full "expansion" when the gun is in it anyway, which will be 99% of the time, so why would I want it to collapse when I draw? That never made sense to me.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Tony,

You are missing my point! The point was and still is what "I" feel about the holster, period. In all fairness, I tried the VM-II and Heritage and wanted to love them but just couldn't, they don't work for me.

I like your facts that you presented but the real fact still remains that the VM-II bulges badley when carrying at the 3:00 - 3:30 position with the reinforement, not so much behind the hip but the buldge is still there no less. This also happened with my VM-II and Heritage rigs and I didn't find it comfortable, sorry. I carry and train at the 3:00-3:30 position.

Case in point can be found here: VM-II with and USP Compact

A Max-Con V for comparison. To be fair the MC-V does appear to be a bit farther back than the above pic's but not by much and this is only for a comparison on the buldge factor between them. I am also not saying one is better than the other, just showing the difference between the designs.

The MC-V is a pick I plucked from a member here of his VM-II and USP compact that he posted.

Oh, and I absolutly train with the holster I wear and it's not reinforced at the mouth in any way.

I am not arguing that you don't have a good holster business and client base, that is obvious. And the reason I say some "think" they like the VM-II is because it is so popular that they must like it cause everyone else does and say they do!

Just so you know though, at least 14 out of every 15 IWB holsters we sell are of the reinforced mouth genre which seems to be the preference of those who do business with us. I just did my year end talley for 07 and our sales topped $650,000 for the last year and most of that was IWB holster generated. Since the bulk of our clientle tend to be educated in matters of training, concealed carry and self defense, I'll defer to them and give them the benefit of the doubt on what they "think" they love
    To be fair, the VM-II is designed and sold with the steel band, if you don't want a steel band then it's the watch six (less popular holster term around the net) which is the holster I would choose instead. Not only that but I would wager 7 out 10 customers have no idea the VM-II has a steel band at the mouth when they order it or after they have gotten it. So the numbers you show while very good for the holster business (650k) you cannot IMO guarntee me that 14 out of 15 IWB holsters you sell the customer actually prefers it and ask's for the band at the mouth, it's what you are giving with the holster and the buzz on the net about the VM-II drives them to purchase, not that fact that it has the steel band and extra leather reinforcement strip. At least that is my opinion of it. Hell, years ago when I ordered mine, I had no idea it had the steel band at the time. I ordered it cause that is what was brought up all the time so it had to be the right one, right?

To me, what I said is "fact" for "me", cause that is the way I feel about it compared to the holsters I use and like to wear.

I've had hundreds of hours of training and with that training have found that not everything is right for everyone and this is no different with holster preference. Bottom line is that the holster does not work for everyone as we all know and you aknowledged.

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers and I could have chosen my words better in my post but why should I when it's my impression of the VM-II compared to my other, lighter, thinner and much easier to conceal holsters that I haven't had a single issue with on the range, training with them or otherwise? It's just my opinion, nothing more, but people should have the info available to them so they can make an educated dicision, not just get the old, Buy the VM-II, you won't regret it line! I did.........

The slick numbers you posted mean nothing to the everyday holster customer as 99% of them will have to buy and try regardless.

The above pictures pretty much tell's the whole story for me though.

Thank you for the post!

Ti

That photo of the tight-waisted and toned-butt guy in the Brommland ad is me!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    That photo of the tight-waisted and toned-butt guy in the Brommland ad is me!
    Wow, you must work out!

Ti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links