Hip Grip/Mexican Carry Trigger Holster

This is a discussion on Hip Grip/Mexican Carry Trigger Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you ever get an idea in your head that keeps you up at night? That's what happened to me last night. It's an idea ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you ever get an idea in your head that keeps you up at night? That's what happened to me last night. It's an idea that I'm surprised noone's ever thought of before.

Here's some background before I get into the actual idea. A few weeks ago I became friends with Michael, the husband of one of my wife's friends. We were visiting at their house when the conversation turned towards guns. Turns out Michael's an enthusiast like myself, though more old school than new school. By old school I mean revolvers, 45's & leather vs. plastic guns & kydex holsters. He was fascinated by my Crossbreed Holster since his leather IWB for his Springer 1911 isn't the most comfortable and doesn't conceal well. Anyways back to the idea. Michael also carries a hammerless 357 snubbie tucked into his pants using the tried and true Barami Hip Grip. Now I've owned a Charter Arms 38 snubbie I'd gotten for my wife since last summer, but never really tried to carry it and using a hip grip intrigued me. So I went out and got one. It works as advertised, but it's a little disconcerting that there's nothing covering the trigger guard like in an actual holster. I know people have carried like this for decades. It's been termed "Mexican Carry" which is basically carrying a handgun tucked behind a belt sans a holster. There are lots of different carry clips available to help with this very useful way to carry. That's when it hit me.

I'd read about a knife holster several weeks back when I was researching neck knives. The holster could also be used with the knife in the pocket. When the knife is put into play and pulled out of the pocket a chain or cord tied to the holster and attached to a belt loop would catch the holster and uncover the knife blade so that it can do it's work while safely clearing the pocket. Why can't a similar "trigger holster" be made for those of us who decide to mexican carry.

Here's what I've come up with:

This prototype was created with a scrap of kydex that I had laying around along with a chicago screw and an extra shoe string.

These are the features of my trigger holster:

- Safely covers the trigger guard while the gun is inside the pants
    - Adds no bulk to the width of the gun
    - Weighs very little
    - Pops off once the gun clears the pants allowing access to the trigger
    - Adjustable length string (allows for a longer or shorter length depending on if the gun is worn appendix or behind the hip)
    - Tension screw allows adjustable tightness
    - Can simply stay attached to the gun during storage

Here is a video showing how the trigger holster is worn and used (this is only the first day that I've worn a revolver using a hip grip so my draw definitely needs some improvement) :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mww-DQBbtfc

I have only made one for a J-frame sized 38, but this idea can easily carry over to any number of handguns that can be stuffed inside the waistband.

Let me know what all of you think.

A copy of this writeup is on my blog - link in my sig.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

JD
    Administrator
    To "Iffy" for me, with all my luck (or lack there of) when I need the gun, the string will break, the knot will come untied, or some other form of calamity will occur and I'll have a gun in the hand and be unable to access the trigger.

A good idea though, don't let my nay-saying hold you back.

I think my only "gripe" is the method of attachment from the cover to the pants.

Edited to add:

Perhaps something more along the lines of the "SafeTblock" for Glocks where you can push out the guard would be an added bonus, if the string does break you could still push out the guard....

Clever. Seems like it'd be great for pocket carry.

If you use 550 paracord for the string and wear durable pants I can't see that failing. Personally I would tie it rather than looping it in itself.. Of course it'd be slower to don and doff.

Interesting idea. Wouldn't Saran Wrap do the intended job? You wouldn't even have to take that off to access the trigger. Just poke through it. My bad for even thinking that?

Too many if's...OMO, but I'd stick with either a proven pocket holster or a proven tuck-able...I have enough holes in my underwear...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Instead of the cord a chain could always be used if breakage is a concern and the chain/cord could be attached directly to the belt if you fear the belt loop won't hold.

If you look at the video you'll see that it doesn't take that much effort to pull the holster off the trigger guard. Also the tension can be adjusted.

This is a solution for a safer way to mexican carry. I'm not encouraging that kind of carry because I also prefer a holster to support the weapon. Though for a light revolver you don't need much in the way of support.

I'd like to hear from those that actually mex carry.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    I'd like to hear from those that actually mex carry.
    I carried my Smith 642 with the Barami high grips for quite a while.

Personally, while carrying via that method, I saw no danger in anything manipulating the trigger while in my waist band.

Another concern I have is with the method of the guard removal.

Being as how the gun will be in my waistband, and the string will be coming out of the waistband to the loop, I'm curious as to how much "travel" would be required to remove the guard.

I can't view youtube while at work, but I'll definitely give it a look when I get home, so right now I can't see how it works in the vid.

I'd want it to have the minimum amount of travel as when I did carry the 642, it was mainly as a BUG, and if I'm defending in a severe danger close circumstance, and I need to shoot from retention, will the method of attachment provide for the gun to be drawn directly from the waist band, held directly in front of the hip and allow me to fire? Just looking at my waist band to belt/belt loop and estimating the approx. location of the trigger guard, I'm guessing I'd need at the vary least, about 2.5-3" of string, and I don't think that my preferred draw stroke would accomodate that. My method of draw in a danger close enviroment was to simply draw the 642 and just rotate it directly in front of my hip, a movment with almost zero travel time, and no waisted motion.

Also, if I'm physically engaged with my target, say I'm defending from the guard position on my back, and I try to draw, can the target make a grab and keep the kydex guard on the trigger?

Again, not being able to see the video is hindering me, and as I don't have my 642 anymore I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

Eventually I plan on getting an all steel snubie for carry again, and most likely will be adding the hip grip and a tyler T-grip to it to have it set up like my 642 was.

Unless you've really lightened the trigger on your DAO, the trigger concern is more psychological than real. Barami works well. Equally, you don't see Barami offered for Glocks...

I had a 640, for several years. No worries.

The video definitely does help with visualizing this.

In the video I don't have the string as short as it could be as I was just demonstrating how it works. Since then I've put a knot in the string to shorten it and it'll pull the holster off before you can rotate the gun forward.

I actually have a similar idea that I was working on.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by distortion9 View Post
    I actually have a similar idea that I was working on.
    Great minds...

It's fun messing around with kydex & stuff.

VIP Member
    Keep at it... one day we all might be waiting 26 weeks for YOUR product!

(But for the present... I'll pass.)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Neat idea !! The only thing that worries me is when you actually put your guard on the gun. It looks like you could actuate the trigger at that time. Could the guard be installed from the bottom of the trigger instead pushing it back ?? mike

I'm retired DEA and we all used to carry Mex in the early 70's, when our issued weapons were the S&W Model 10. I carried a Chief this way for 5 years with no problems. Alot of rubber bands around the grip and it was good to go.

With the coming of autos, I wanted to carry Condition 1 and the Mex was not viable (nor safe in that mode) so I finally broke down and got an IWB holster.

I tried the Barami clip, but as a Lefty, it never felt comfortable to shoot with and I ditched it for the rubber bands (again!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links