Sig 229 holster and sights question.

This is a discussion on Sig 229 holster and sights question. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided to get a Sig 229 DA/SA gun and an IWB holster(think I will go with the .. High Noon -The Down Under ...

Thread: Sig 229 holster and sights question.

Sig 229 holster and sights question.

I have decided to get a Sig 229 DA/SA gun and an IWB holster(think I will go with the ..High Noon -The Down Under with clip)

A couple questions:

Does a Torque Plate, as on the Andrews MacDaniel2 holster (for example) really help tuck in the handle that much, I would think the sliding the gun bacwards a bit on the belt would accomplish the same thing. Does the torque on the belt/side of your body make this feel funny? Not sure if this would be that beneficial having never carried before.

Also, I'm debating on whether or not to get the night sights option on the Sig 229. I use a 12Ga under my bed for night-time protection, the pistol would be the back-up. I would do a lot of target shooting during the day, are nights sights better or worse during the day?
    Last edited by youngda9; January 4th, 2008 at 04:07 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I prefer the stock rear sight on mine. I'd get the standard setup and put a meprolight on the front only for about $40.

I have 3-dot night sights on mine (from the factory) though some prefer the post and dot set-up of the standard sights.

I have SIG night sights on my P226 and they are starting to go--too small to pick-up during the day and starting to dim at night.

However, I have a P229 I just installed TruGlo TFOs--that have Tritium and Fiber Optic sights...and they are awesome day or night. Give them a try.

I really didn't want to change my sights for fear I would lose my accuracy....fears were unfounded when I installed the new sights...wish I did it years ago...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

TTT

Honestly on a sig the white contrast is so bright that I can pick it up if there is any little tiny bit of light at all. I also always carry a flashlight so if there is no other light I just use that. The TFOs are a good option as are the XS sight systems. I think if you are going to use night sights go with an aftermarket instead of the sig factory sights.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Honestly on a sig the white contrast is so bright that I can pick it up if there is any little tiny bit of light at all. I also always carry a flashlight so if there is no other light I just use that. The TFOs are a good option as are the XS sight systems. I think if you are going to use night sights go with an aftermarket instead of the sig factory sights.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll take it...I think I'd rather check out the aftermarket options out there and decide down the road if I need em.

Can anyone answer my question from above
    "Does a Torque Plate, as on the Andrews MacDaniel2 holster (for example) really help tuck in the handle that much, I would think the sliding the gun backwards a bit on the belt would accomplish the same thing. Does the torque on the belt/side of your body make this feel funny? Not sure if this would be that beneficial having never carried before."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I find the rear SIG factory night sight to cast too much glare sometimes in daylight. The regular SIG rear sight is my preference, whether the front sight is a night sight or not. I have three SIGs, so I am able to compare; an SAS with the front night sight and standard rear sight, a P229 with the standard factory front and rear, and a P229R DAK with the factory night sights front and rear.

All of my primary defense weapons have night sights.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The nite sights on my new 229 are quite bright, although the dots sort of disappear if you are using a flashlight and aiming.

Links