Does anyone use an extreme forward cant?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use an extreme forward cant? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another "Just curious" thread. My new FIST holster should be getting here sooner or later, and this particular model features a fully adjustable cant. I ...

Thread: Does anyone use an extreme forward cant?

Does anyone use an extreme forward cant?

Another "Just curious" thread.

My new FIST holster should be getting here sooner or later, and this particular model features a fully adjustable cant. I have figured out that's a feature that I should really invest in from now on because it suits my needs. That's what got me thinking about extreme forward cant. Extreme forward cant as I know it I've only seen used for small of back carry.

Personally, small of back carry is something I really don't see as a good idea at all unless for some reason you routinely stand in one place or sit on a stool and don't move for hours at a time. Like if you had to operate a toll booth, sell carnival tickets, or work in a little pill box gas station it might work for you. It doesn't work for me because I move around too much and thus have an excellent chance of falling flat on my backside, plus it creates a huge bump on my back that is conspicuous if of course you are standing behind me.

But I've considered that the same extreme forward cant may indeed be useful for strong side carry. I have kind of a long torso for my height so my arms don't reach quite as low on my person. It's a minor difference at best, maybe 3/4 of an inch. But compounding the problem is I have ham hands. The point I'm trying to make is I find a grab and pull lateral motion to be much easier than a grab and lift vertical motion.

It also seems to me that the extreme forward cant could be more conducive to getting in the ready position in a hurry. It seems counterintuitive at first as the extreme forward cant would mean rotating the arm through a larger angle to correct the position, but I tried it with an el cheapo holster I keep around for such experimentation and it seems like my suspicion is right. It just follows the natural arc of the arm better and doesn't require as much articulation of the wrist.

But then again personal ergonomics are going to be way off for each individual person. I think we had a similar thread before and a lot of people favored the FBI cant. Does anyone ever use the extreme forward cant? It seems somewhat rare as a lot of holster makers don't do extreme forward cant.

2. Remove Ads

I switch between a 5* and 15* cant. I would like a 10* though. My 5* is for when I have the 10 rounder in my G30 and the 15* is when I have the 13rd G21 with sleeve in. Helps to hide the bottom of the grip better on my skinny frame.

I have seen some holsters with as much adjustment as 25*. That would put it to almost SOB type cant I think. I don't care for SOB carry simply because that is a long way for my hand to travel to draw, going from my side to behind me is a lot of unneccessary motion. I would like my weapon to be as close to my default hand position as practically possible and still pretty concealed, and that is about 4:00-4:30.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I personally prefer about a 20 deg cant.

Jerry

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - my K&D rig for SP-101 is probably a generous 15 as per what I asked kevin for - and that suits the snub beautifully. The K&D SIG rig is more a 10 and that also suits gun nicely.

On balance I prefer too much than too little. Cant just seems totally natural and acts as a draw assist to me - plus it decreases printing a lot - keeps grips tighter in to body on me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    any more than about 15 degrees is too much for me to draw comfortably.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Here is a pic of a K&D holster for my 3"SP101 and it is about a 14-15 deg can't, it is modled much after the holster Chris had Kevin make. I love it, conceles very well, very easy to draw, not to easy to reholster if you don't have our shirt tucked in (pinches my skin when I reholster), but all and all I love it and am thinking about having Kevin make me a rig for my 5" 1911.

Assistant Administrator
    Bruce - glad you like yours too - that cant and the SP-101 just go right!! I like not only the cant but - the way it all holds tight to body. Printing is a negligable prob' and - for me anyways - the way the butt comes up high means I feel its presence on lower ribs and can make a nice smooth sweeping draw. Easy too to keep elbow in to stop a shirt flapping open.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry a 4" N-frame (S&W M21TRS) in a customized holster at 30* forward cant. I find it tucks the end of the barrel up higher and allows me a smoother draw. I have a holster for a Browning Hi-Power that is at 22*. So I guess I do prefer an extreme forward cant.

My holsters are made with an 18 degree rake. That's what fits my body best and provides a good draw while standing straight, bending at the waist, or sitting.

As far as extreme rake, I saw a gun store employee open carrying in a SOB holster close to his 3:00 position. The problem he had was that when he bent over to get a gun out of the display case, his 1911 fell out of the holster. I saw (and heard - CLUNK!) him do it twice.

SSKC

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I like an extreme cant as well although I'm not sure what is the standard for extreme,...is is 20 degrees? that's what I've been thinking. On my Kahr P9 the extreme cant keeps the grip pointing up and laying tight to my side. At less of a can't the butt of the grip protrudes out past my side a bit more than I like. Same thing with my 1911.

I like the idea if adjustable cants if they don't add too much hardware or thickness to a holster.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Bruce......your Ruger holster is 25 deg's according to the pic....cool holster.

Cant is extremely critical and personal. There are many things to take into consideration when choosing proper cant. What gun? How long is the muzzle?
    Where do you carry it? What ride ht is best? 2 things come into play when choosing proper cant.......1)how well does it conceal your gun and 2)maintain the natural draw stroke on the arm?

There really isnt a rule. Its just what works for you in your situation.

Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    Bruce......your Ruger holster is 25 deg's according to the pic....cool holster.
    dosn't seem like that much, either way I like it , and like Chris sated it just fits the little 101 perfectly.

I have a Max Con 5 and a Def con holster. They both have quite a bit cant and conceal very well and are completely comfortable. They seem to tuck a 5" 1911 right in.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Links