Kydex shaping

This is a discussion on Kydex shaping within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Is it possible to heat part of a kydex holster to mold or shape it slightly after it has been bought, or will it ...

Thread: Kydex shaping

Kydex shaping

Hello,

Is it possible to heat part of a kydex holster to mold or shape it slightly after it has been bought, or will it just 'stretch' back to its original shape? And how much heat would one need?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    It is possible, but if you put heat to part of it , you need to keep in mind the rest will heat up and possibly deform as well. Perhaps if you showed us what you intend we can help more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I use a heat gun similar to a hair dryer but it gets much hotter. We have them where I work but I have also seen them at Harbor Frieght. True kydex can be reshaped quite a bit, but the injection molded stuff will not. YMMV.

I would just warn that if you try this be very careful. As "rocky" said, the whole area around where you are working will also heat up and move very easily. I ruined a perfectly good Comp-tac CTAC doing this. My stupid lesson!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

You can do it...carefully...
    I wanted to tighten up my pocket holster for my KelTec P-3AT. All I did was to use a butane torch sitting on my workbench. I held the holster about a 8-10" above the flame...very, very carefully. I heated the kydex and just had to pinch the kydex around the pistol...fixed it 100%...you just have to do it slowly...but it was easy to do...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am interested in this. My airsoft glock replica is a little too wide to fit into the CTAC without major adjustment of the tension screws. I talked to somebody @ comp-tac and they said they would do a one off for me, but i would have to send in the airsoft for them to mold it. I asked about me doing the adjustment and was told it is too easy to overheat and cause problems.

So, for those of you who do the heat thing, how do you adjust the mold to your gun? Do you wrap something around the gun before putting the kydex around it (so not to get the gun messed up). Do you clamp the kydex in place for a certain amount of time?

Thanks.

Lead Moderator
    I do not use any wrap, just mold the kydex around the gun. Typically I use a foam pad, heat the kydex, then sandwich the kydex so it forms around the gun while it cools. It usually only takes about 40 sec. to let cool before pressure can be relieved.
    Is your airsoft metal? If so it will work fine. If using a blue gun or plastic airsoft, I coat the gun with a light oil to keep the plastic from sticking to the kydex.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sure is, I modified a Glock 17 Comp-tac Pro-undercover that I picked up fairly cheap to fit my Glock 19. Used a heat gun and my Glock 19 to get it to fit correctly, after cutting part of the holster off.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Rocky - thanks for the info.

If you just have to make a small adjustment to a kydex holster my recommendation is to cover the rest of the holster with a damp towel so you can heat up just the section you want to mold. I got this tip from Mark with Crossbreed Holsters.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    It is possible, but if you put heat to part of it , you need to keep in mind the rest will heat up and possibly deform as well. Perhaps if you showed us what you intend we can help more.
    What I was thinking of was not tightening the entire holster, but simply things like making a detend for the thumb safety if one were to install an extended thumb safety on a 1911 and then use it in a holster designed for the GI safety.. Or one of those low-paddle safeties like the Gunsite. So it would be very localized.

Links