Glock 19 IWB holster advice for new guy

This is a discussion on Glock 19 IWB holster advice for new guy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, this is my first post here. I just finished a class on concealed weapons here in CO and I am looking at getting ...

Hello all, this is my first post here. I just finished a class on concealed weapons here in CO and I am looking at getting my permit. One obvious item needed is a holster and since I have no experience carrying, I don't know which to even look at. I have a Glock 19 and would like a comfortable IWB holster. Where do I look and what do you use? Thanks!
    "Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces." -Joseph T. Chew

Personal choice is the Sparks Executives Companion.

Holster selection is subjective. There is almost no way to avoid buying, trying, then selling holsters. The best advice I can give is:

1. Buy quality rather than crap. Quality does not mean "best that money can buy." In this case it means "really good for the money."
    2. Buy what are considered "best of class" of the various holster types so you give yourself the best chance of striking gold.
    3. Buy used at first, which takes the sting out of experimentation. The G19 is perhaps the gun most widely represented in holsters out there, so there's a robust used holster market for them.
    4. Start with a strong side belt holster, before going to other types (shoulder, etc).

There is kydex vs leather. There is OWB vs IWB. There are substyles within the IWB family and the OWB family.

A reasonable first pass might be any one of:

- Sidearmor IWB = basic loop-on-top kydex IWB.
    - Comp-tac CTAC = basic spread-loop adjustable kydex IWB.
    - The reigning avatar of the spread-loop leather IWB is the Milt Sparks VM2, but these are now subject to a buyer's frenzy that makes them too high priced to start with, IMO. You might be better served by the similar (but cheaper and more available) FIST #20.
    - A decent leather scabbard OWB: Galco, FIST, Don Hume, something like that.

Good but not expensive. Try FIST for leather OR kydex. Try Galco for leather.
    Try Blade-Tech for just kydex.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I donít like my G19 IWB.. Kind of big, so I always carry strong side.. I purchased this Don Hume open top paddle last year and so far I really enjoy it.

For about 10 years I used a custom rig from El Paso Saddlery. Great concealment holster.

Enjoy your G19...

I carry my G19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck and really find it comfortable and it conceals well. You may have to try a few to find what works well for you.

I am happy with the quick and informative replies. Everyone is friendly as well, thanks guys for the info. Keep it coming!
    "Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces." -Joseph T. Chew

Quote Originally Posted by FRT007 View Post
    Personal choice is the Sparks Executives Companion.

I'd have to wholeheartedly agree. Until today, I've always used either the Milt Sparks VM2 or SS2 (but have been known to be a staunch Sidearmor and Comptac fan!).

I like the paddle on the EC, and the belt loop arrangement, once one knows the "secret" is exemplary, IMO.

Guess which holster Tony K. prefers, and uses?
    Last edited by xrmattaz; January 11th, 2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: shpelling.

+1 on the Crossbreed Supertuck. I got mine just a couple days ago for my G19, and I'm in love, wish I hadn't suffered through 6 months of my crappy Uncle Mike's holster. I wear it all day at 4:00, and can barely tell it's there, drawing and reholstering is super easy, the price was right (about $70 shipped, worth every penny), and I got it in like 2 wks, instead of the 6 month wait for a lot of the higher end holsters, and a lifetime warranty. Plus, if you try it and decide it's not for you, you have 2 wks to return it, so you're not out the money. I have no complaints, and finally understand why everybody says "Don't screw around with cheap holsters"..! Welcome to the forum, this is a great place with lots of info and very knowledgable folks.
    .40 is fine.

+1 on the Crossbreed Supertuck. I got mine just a couple days ago for my G19, and I'm in love, wish I hadn't suffered through 6 months of my crappy Uncle Mike's holster. I wear it all day at 4:00, and can barely tell it's there, drawing and reholstering is super easy, the price was right (about $70 shipped, worth every penny), and I got it in like 2 wks, instead of the 6 month wait for a lot of the higher end holsters, and a lifetime warranty. Plus, if you try it and decide it's not for you, you have 2 wks to return it, so you're not out the money. I have no complaints, and finally understand why everybody says "Don't screw around with cheap holsters"..! Welcome to the forum, this is a great place with lots of info and very knowledgable folks.
    .40 is fine.

In addition to the previously mentioned VMII (an OUTSTANDING choice, BTW!), I use the Comp-Tac MTAC. It's amazingly comfortable and stable, and the delivery time is measured in days.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Milt Sparks Holsters
    MILT SPARKS VERSA MAX 2 for Glock 19 - get two mag pouches too ! maybe have to wait while but save $$$ in the long run buying a bunch holsters that do not work or whatever reason !

also need to carry a push button kind of flashlight - small for hand held that can be carried on the belt or stuff into a pocket - carry it 24 /7 not just at night. Try Streamlight or SureFire or ???

also need to carry at least one knife fixed blade (prefer if only one knife) or a folding knife

check State and local laws on guns and knives.

Links