IWB Uncomfortable - Page 2

IWB Uncomfortable

This is a discussion on IWB Uncomfortable within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Del Fatti makes a great holster and it's every bit as good as a VM-II which is my favorite. It might just be that IWB ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    Del Fatti makes a great holster and it's every bit as good as a VM-II which is my favorite. It might just be that IWB is not for you.

Sticking a gun and holster in your waistband is going to be a little uncomfortable but it should never cause actual pain.

Welcome to the beginning of the "Box-O-Holsters"!

Seriously, try a Galco Concealable OWB holster and see if that's you mode of carry. It's a great, tight to the side and high carry OWB holster that you can use for other non-CCW occasions like at the range.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Larger guns it helps to do a pancake style IWB to distribute the weight out farther and provide a smoother transition. I also like having a "Side Guard" (hence the name) to protect the side of the gun digging into your side (plus it also protects the gun from your perspiration).

Smaller guns you can do a wrap around very nicely but it all depends on your body type, gun and where you like to carry it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

My 4 1/4 inch Bear T.R. Commanche feels great in a VM2H at 3:30. So does my Gov. model and my Sigs. I'm about 10 pounds heavier than you, so I suggest a new holster.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Thanks for the input, don't know why I didn't think to include some specs.
    My carry gun is a 4.25 1911 in a DelFatti ISP-LP with a Sparks 1.5" belt. My body style is 5'11" 170# of lean sinuous muscle. OK, OK, I was lying about the lean sinous stuff.
    1st. obsverations are:
    That I will need a slightly larger pants size.
    The pants seem to want to ride a little higher than I have normally worn them.
    The holster is not adjustable, but it appars it would be more comfortable with a little more slant by moving the barrel to the rear. The holster is not adjustable, but I think it could be changed.
    The most comfortable positions seem to be:
    1. About 3:30 or 4:00 between front and rear pocket. Problem is I can not sit in this position without the butt dragging against the seat.
    2. About 3:00, but higher over the hip bone. Pants have to ride higher to accomplish this.
    Thanks again, any other thoughts would be most apprecited.
    Golfer:

It might be that you are one of those guys who can't get used to IWB carry. On the other hand, Lightning Arms orders 15 degree muzzle rear rake holsters and it might be that you just need a different rake. You might want to try the rake exercise on my web site to see if a different rake would better serve your needs. Give me a call on Monday if you need more help.

Golfer:

It might be that you are one of those guys who can't get used to IWB carry. On the other hand, Lightning Arms orders 15 degree muzzle rear rake holsters and it might be that you just need a different rake. You might want to try the rake exercise on my web site to see if a different rake would better serve your needs. Give me a call on Monday if you need more help.
    Now that's what I call first class service.

Thumbs up Matt!

rd

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Golfer,
    Now how's that for customer service?

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I feel your pain.
    What I ended up doing is buying a real holster and have a real gun belt on order. Just using the quality holster made a huge difference.
    I don't think that's the problem since he has a 'real holster' (Del Fatti ISP-LP) and a real belt (Sparks 1.5").
    My point being, most people consider a Del Fatti a quality holster.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I got a VMIIh last week and within a short time, just wearing it, I thought IWB wasn't going to be for me, at least with this style. I'm also a lean guy and about 10 lbs lighter.

I wore it the other day all day and surprisingly, it became very comfortable. My attire is not loose and baggy so I'll have a problem I'm sure, with some things that don't have the room, but even without a good gun belt, it became more comfortable and I wore it on into the evening.

Of course when I wear it with my Pro Carry HD it may be a different story. :D But the way the VMII laid once I found the right spot, it appears even sitting in the truck it'll be fine.

One problem is the loop spacing getting along with belp loops on jeans. Some are not spaced where they give me much adjustment room.
    Kimber Pro Carry HD, Bobtailed
    Kimber Combat Carry
    Ruger LC9
    Ruger MkII .22 Target
    S&W M&P .38 Special

Matt Del Fatti - Thanks so much for your help again. You have been such a help for me in this process so far.
    For those of you who don't kow, Matt explained to me on this forum howto loosen my holster and fit it to my pistol in an earlier forum. IMO, the fact that he is willing to spend time on this forum is such a blessing.
    I can highly recommend his holster. Don't know if I can say as much about my body.
    I am certain I got a good holster and belt. The problems I am having are from lack of experience. I have found a comfortable position for standing and one for sitting, just can't seem to find the right spot for both.
    Thanks also for those of you who are giving suggestions, they are helpful and reassuring that I am moving in the rifht direction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links