IWB Uncomfortable

IWB Uncomfortable

This is a discussion on IWB Uncomfortable within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thught I would see if any of you have suggestions. I am finding IWB carry to be quite uncomfortable. Have only been at this forf ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB Uncomfortable

IWB Uncomfortable

Thught I would see if any of you have suggestions. I am finding IWB carry to be quite uncomfortable. Have only been at this forf about 2 weeks, but can't find a position that allows me to sit and stand. When I sit, the handle pushes against the rear of the seat, if I move the holster forward it sits above my hip bone and presses down.
    I have never had any back problem in my life, but last week I could hardly walk for 4 days from a muscle that decided to tighten up. I think it was because of my holster placement.
    By the way, both the holster and belt are brand new, so you can imagine how stiff they are.
    Wonder if any of you have any suggestions.

Lead Moderator
    Depending on your body type, gun and holster combo, as well as pants waist size all can contributer to comfort. I find 2" extra on the waist helps to fit even my HK USP.
    Personally, I am 180 lb 5-10 and built fairly lean(with a little fat ) . I carry my SA Champ. 1911 clone just behind my hip bone. You just need to experiment with what does/ doesn't work.
    If you can post pics, tell us what holster /pistol you are carrying we may be able to help more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    +1 on the extra 2".

I just started carrying IWB as well. At first I wore my normal pants, but there were times it wasn't comfortable at all. Right now I'm trying with pants that are 2" bigger and it is MUCH more comfortable.

yes, holster and gun type will help.

One big thing you can do if you have an adjustable holster is work with the cant. That way you can get the barrel off your hip and bring the bottom of the grip forward so it doesn't hit the seat back when your sitting.

My crossbreed supertuck took just a little while to figure out what worked best. I do have to adjust it a couple of time a day when I spend most of my time sitting at my desk but it really isn't that big of a deal.

It just takes a bit of time to get it into a possition that your comfortable with and for everything to soften up a bit to that possition.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Golfer,

What type of pistol / holster / belt combo have you been using? Rocky already touched up on buying your pants about 2" larger in the waist. I find that a thin profile handgun, such as a 1911 or an HK P7M8 carried in a holser similar in design to a Milt Sparks VM2 / Watch 6, Del Fatti ISP-LP, UBG Canute, or a Brommeland MCV work the best for me carried at about 3:30 to 4:00 on my right hip. Be sure to let the leather breakin and mold to you body. It usually takes me about a week to get an IWB holset to form to my body.

Also, make sure you have a sturdy gun belt. I have 1.5 inch belts by Sparks, Rafter S, and TheBeltMan. They all work great. Be sure that the width of the loops on your holster match the width of your belt.

Another thing that helps me, is carrying a spare magazine on my weak side. I think it helps balance out the wieght on my belt. YMMV. Hope this helps.

-Brandon

I find IWB to be very uncomfortable as well.

I used to be able to carry IWB but, then I lost a lot of weight and not my hips are too bony to allow it. I have tried to carry further behind the hip but that just becomes uncomfortable in other ways.

So I switched to OWB full time and I have never looked back. Comfortable and I have found that I can access my weapon faster as well. And I can buy pants that are the actual size that my waist is.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

When I sit, the handle pushes against the rear of the seat, if I move the holster forward it sits above my hip bone and presses down.
    Sounds like you may benefit from a little more forward cant. I've had nerve / back / hip issues as well. It took me awhile to find just the right spot, but with the gun (Ruger SP101 in my case) just behind the hipbone and the grip canted above the hipbone I've found comfort and concealability.

I cannot carry a 1911 or BHP IWB however. The barrel hits right on the sciatic nerve causing pain in the lower back and down the leg. YMMV

Hope this gives you a little food for thought. BTW I'm 6'0" 210lbs.

Good luck!

rd

Thanks for the input, don't know why I didn't think to include some specs.
    My carry gun is a 4.25 1911 in a DelFatti ISP-LP with a Sparks 1.5" belt. My body style is 5'11" 170# of lean sinuous muscle. OK, OK, I was lying about the lean sinous stuff.
    1st. obsverations are:
    That I will need a slightly larger pants size.
    The pants seem to want to ride a little higher than I have normally worn them.
    The holster is not adjustable, but it appars it would be more comfortable with a little more slant by moving the barrel to the rear. The holster is not adjustable, but I think it could be changed.
    The most comfortable positions seem to be:
    1. About 3:30 or 4:00 between front and rear pocket. Problem is I can not sit in this position without the butt dragging against the seat.
    2. About 3:00, but higher over the hip bone. Pants have to ride higher to accomplish this.
    Thanks again, any other thoughts would be most apprecited.

If I wear the pistol too far back, the grip seems to stick out against my shirt.
    A OWB holster would obvously be more comfortable and makes sanse in some cases, but pretty well defeats my needs at this time.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I feel your pain.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...table-you.html

People offered some good suggestions. What I ended up doing is buying a real holster and have a real gun belt on order. Just using the quality holster made a huge difference.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Looks like a fine crafted holster. Resembles the VMII. The VMII did not work for me, neither did a Highnoon - not for IWB. This is just my suggestion from my experience. You will need 1-2 sizes bigger in the pants depending on your dress - for Levis I don't need any additional. May I also suggest that if you want comfort for IWB carry, give Crossbreed a call and take on the the trial for their Supertuck. I know these two holsters are in different leagues regarding their looks - but the comfort level of the CB is super. Anywhere from 3:30-4:30 usually works best for most carrying IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Thanks for the input, don't know why I didn't think to include some specs.
    My carry gun is a 4.25 1911 in a DelFatti ISP-LP with a Sparks 1.5" belt. My body style is 5'11" 170# of lean sinuous muscle. OK, OK, I was lying about the lean sinous stuff.
    1st. obsverations are:
    That I will need a slightly larger pants size.
    The pants seem to want to ride a little higher than I have normally worn them.
    The holster is not adjustable, but it appars it would be more comfortable with a little more slant by moving the barrel to the rear. The holster is not adjustable, but I think it could be changed.
    The most comfortable positions seem to be:
    1. About 3:30 or 4:00 between front and rear pocket. Problem is I can not sit in this position without the butt dragging against the seat.
    2. About 3:00, but higher over the hip bone. Pants have to ride higher to accomplish this.
    Thanks again, any other thoughts would be most apprecited.
    When I'm carrying my Colt Commander in my VM2 and I have to sit, I adjust the the pistol by pulling the grip safety slightly forward with my thumb after I am seated. This should help with the pistol draging against the seat and will aid in comfort with the butt digging into your side. I'm almost the same build as you + about 10 lbs. Give it some time and hopefully your body will adjust since you're new to IWB carry. Also, do you wear an under shirt?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The use of a VM II or something of a similar design makes a huge difference. I'm a top heavy 6 foot 230 lbs. I carry a G19 in a Mark Garrity IWB worn at 3:00 without issue.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

May I also suggest that if you want comfort for IWB carry, give Crossbreed a call and take on the the trial for their Supertuck. I know these two holsters are in different leagues regarding their looks - but the comfort level of the CB is super.
    A big +1 on Crossbreed.

I have the Supertuck. Even though I don't wear it much, it's the only holster that I could wear IWB with my 1911 for any length of time. It fits my BHP too. It spreads out the pressure and offers a ton of adjustment.

If it doesn't work for you, he'll take it back.

rd

Assistant Administrator
    Never got on with IWB and really have no wish or need to. I carry large and heavy in OWB and am fortunate to have that work well - plus having an easy time of carry as, work from home.

Like Mike I find I am too ''bony'' - plus being someone who sweats gallons as soon as temps rise, I reckon even with a sweat guard I am gonna be in trouble! My K&D Defender OWB holds in IMO about as tight as many a IWB - I can feel the grip presence touching my lower rib. Only downside really might be it's easier to expose the rig lower down ... but with what I wear that's pretty much a non issue.

I guess if I did go to IWB it'd have to be a good rig worn well to the rear - almost approach an SOB - even then tho I'd not relish the pressure on my iliac crest of pelvis.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links