Defensive Carry banner

Carried IWB for the first time in a year

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Thumper 
#1 ·
Tonight I decided for various reasons that I wanted to try carrying IWB for the first time in a year or so. ome of you may remember that I lost a bunch or weight a year ago. 160 pounds total, of which I have gained 10 back in muscle, not fat this time.:hand10: But, after losing all my natural fat padding, my hips were too darn bony to allow me to carry IWB without it hurting after an hour or so.

But, tonight we decided we were going out to eat. My in-laws are in town from Alabama and they wanted to take up out to eat. They also decided they wanted to go to the Olive Garden (a restaurant I hate but I wasn't the one paying) so off we went. Now, one can not carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol in TN so we went to one just over the state line in Mississippi. My in-laws know my wife and I carry and they are very OK with it. They understand why we carry and are in favor of it so we don't have to worry about them not wanting to plan things around it.

I wanted to try carrying IWB because I hadn't done it in a long time and the best IWB holster I own is for the Sig P239 9mm and it has not gotten out of the safe for a long time.
So I put the rig on and off we went. It was every bit as un-comfortable as I was afraid it was going to be. After about an hour of IWB carry my hip ached like I had been hit by a ball bat there so I excused my self and went to the restroom and moved the holster back to about the 5 o'clock or 5:15 position. Much better.

So I guess I am posting this to say, I still am not a fan of IWB carry even though I know it hides the gun much better than OWB, it is just so un-comfortable for me that it is not worth it, at least for me.

See less See more
#3 ·
It maybe that you just need to find the sweet spot. I switched to clip draw on my .45 and it took a few trips to figure out what position was most comfortable. Wear it around the house for a few evenings until you get comfortable. Stay safe.

#15 ·
If it's not a thread hijack, how do you keep the safety from digging into your side? (Assuming your talking about a 1911) I've got a Clipdraw coming for my SP101 and I think it will work fine for that gun. I've been carrying my Champion in my waistband just to get a feel for comfortable positions (of which there are several) but the dang safety wears on me after awhile. (I'm wearing a "T" shirt between me and the gun.)

Cloudpeak

#4 ·
It is a holster that a friend of mine from a long time ago made for me. It is patterned on the Summer special by Galco and looks a lot like this:

except mine is a bark maroon color. Works pretty well, just isn't real comfortable for me. But I am going to keep playing around with it. Thinking of getting a C-TAC for the Glock 23. I have heard nothing but good things about that holster.

#6 ·
I would think the MTAC would be more comfortable with all the leather backing. BTW the wife and I went to Olive Garden in Cheyenne today and it was great. I also was carrying the 5" Kimber in my MTAC. Wife was purse carrying her Charter Bulldog 44 special.

#12 ·
Move to Tennessee. Open carry is perfectly legal and not at all too uncommon here. I do it in the summer time all the time and so does Citizen 510. I have never gotten a bad reaction and everyone here is used to it. It is very nice not having to put an extra cover garment on in the heat of summer. :image035:

First I should ask how you lost all the weight but you'll probably say I have to stop eating all the crap I like and then you'll say I need to do something horrible like exercise too! :rofl:

I'm learning that having the extra padding does help a bunch! My favorite carry is IWB but I confess that in cooler weather when I can keep a cover garment on indoors, I like to switch to OWB. Definitely more comfy! :wink:
Sorry but that is exactly what I am going to tell you. I stopped eating junk, started eating much better and every 2 hours (PM me if you want me to explain the diet to you.) and started exercising a lot. I work out with weights on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and I use a Nordic Track elliptical trainer on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I take Saturday off...usually. Sometimes I do still do a little cardio workout on Saturday. I have a hard time going a full day now with out doing some kind of workout. But I went from a size 44-46 pants to my current 30. It sure makes life a whole lot better I can tell you that.

#8 ·
I'd say give another holster a try, one with the loops in front and rear of the gun, not on top of it. Or one of the thin High Noon holsters. I'm a skinny guy and have no problem with IWB, just has to be just behind the hip, not on top of it.
Then again, OWB doesn't work for me, and everyone says how comfortable it is... Just goes to show everyone's different.

#9 ·
First I should ask how you lost all the weight but you'll probably say I have to stop eating all the crap I like and then you'll say I need to do something horrible like exercise too! :rofl:

I'm learning that having the extra padding does help a bunch! My favorite carry is IWB but I confess that in cooler weather when I can keep a cover garment on indoors, I like to switch to OWB. Definitely more comfy! :wink:

#13 ·
Congratulations to you! My doc told me to lose 50 pounds. I weighed more than that in high school, a very long time ago. I don't know where they get their charts, but good for you for your dedication!

#14 ·
Well, it took me a couple of different holsters to find the one that was really comfortable. IWB is just so much easier to conceal so I wanted to make it work. Recently got a Max Con V and it really has made a HUGE difference. Didn't know that a holster could be this comfortable. (Yes, I know that this sounds like an infomercial.:smile:) It's just a combination of wading through a few holsters and finding that "sweet spot". Mine is about 5:00. Don't give up on it yet. Oh, congrats on the weight loss! I run on my treadmill about 5 times a week. If I didn't I would be supersized in no time. ha!

#16 · (Edited)
I carry IWB exclusively. But my holster is a clip holster (Bianchi100 Professional).

I have found that a IWB holster with a clip (vs loops) allows the holster/gun combo to be shifted around slightly as nessessary for comfort while sitting or standing.

The loop holsters, IMO, limit the amount of shifting that is needed to comfortably carry IWB. I have absolutely no comfort issues with my j-frame and Bianchi 100 holster, which is pictured below from the Bianchi website.

Attachments

#17 ·
Mike, I just bought a Crossbreed Supertuck and it is the most comfortable holster I have ever worn. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry and the Crossbreed spreads the footprint of the gun out in a wide area of the body making it easy to forget I'm even carrying. If you know anyone with one you should try it on, if not Mark at Crossbreed is very easy to work with.

#19 ·
Sorry but that is exactly what I am going to tell you. I stopped eating junk, started eating much better and every 2 hours (PM me if you want me to explain the diet to you.) and started exercising a lot. I work out with weights on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and I use a Nordic Track elliptical trainer on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I take Saturday off...usually. Sometimes I do still do a little cardio workout on Saturday. I have a hard time going a full day now with out doing some kind of workout. But I went from a size 44-46 pants to my current 30. It sure makes life a whole lot better I can tell you that.
Dang it! I knew you were gonna say that! :rofl:

But it is encouraging to see that it paid off for you. S'pect I'd better get my butt in gear too! :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.