More Kydex

More Kydex

This is a discussion on More Kydex within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awhile back, I orderd some .090 Kydex sheets from Ebay. Cost was 12 bucks for 3ea. 8"x10" sheets. I had read some threads here about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Kydex

Senior Moderator

More Kydex

Awhile back, I orderd some .090 Kydex sheets from Ebay. Cost was 12 bucks for 3ea. 8"x10" sheets.

I had read some threads here about using Kydex to make some things like holsters and kbife sheaths and thought I'd try it out.

I did'nt use a pattern, I kind of did it on the fly, using my Sig P239 .40 to form it up after heating.

My other IWB holster was a padded nylon one that was actually pretty bulky, so I thought I'd try Kydex in order to see if I could make something a bit slimmer in the waistband.

I used a pair of shears to cut it, and used a Dremel tool with a drum sander to finish the edges. If I was going to keep on making sheaths, I think that I would invest in a jig saw rather than using the shears, you just can control the cut very well.

Anyhow,I think that anyone that wanted a custom fit holster could make one without much of a problem. I used a heat gun that I bought at Lowes and ordered the rivets from Texas Knife Supply.

The gun fits suprisingly well with plenty of retention. Its nice and snug but not so tight that it is an issue to pull it out. I think I could run with it without any problems.

I am thinking seriously of making one for my .44 Colt Ananconda,some sort of a shoulder holster rig for hunting. It'll probably take two sheets though, but it might be just the thing for carrying in the deer woods.

some pictures.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Looks like that has formed very well Bob - good result!

Rocky has done quite a bit with this material and must admit it has been in my mind to give it a try one day too. The clip appears to be all part of the whole I am thinking ...... enough belt grip?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    enough belt grip?
    Seems to be.

I formed it over an 1/8" parallel. I put the retainer on it thinking that if the gun was tight it would help the holster stay in my waistband without pulling it out with the gun. Thats a problem that I've had with some clipped IWB holsters that I never was fond of.

The clip is a part of the original sheet. I rough cut the holster and then formed it to the gun. Once I got a satisfactory fit, I riveted it. Then I trimmed it up some and then formed the clip.Although the clip has an 1/8" gap to accomodate a leather belt, the end of it actually touchs the holster when its out. This sort of gives it a bit of "spring" tension. Its actually tight enough that it may not have needed the retainer, but I figured it'd be better safe than sorry.

A press would have been nice. As it was, I just used my hands, with leather gloves of course. Even with the gloves on, it was a bit warm. The thing is, you dont really need a press, I just kept pressing with my fingers over the gun, so anyone could do it as really the only thing needed is a heat source and a way to cut it and and a drill for the holes.

You ought to try it. A man of your talent will have no problems.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Very nice indeed!

You should call it the "lowrider". How about some pictures of the holster in use. I like the clip built into the holster.

well done.

Lead Moderator
    Great job. The thicker .09 kydex should help for the life of the clip. (the clip attachment point tends to wear out eventually). I have started attaching clips separate, so I can install new as needed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Nice job !!

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    You are getting good! Looks nice! How does it feel when carrying in it?

Looks really good. Nice job.
    www.RKBAconcealment.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Senior Moderator
    You should call it the "lowrider". How about some pictures of the holster in use. I like the clip built into the holster.
    So far it feels great. I wanted most of the gun to stay in the pants,yet have enough exposed grip to be easy to grab. So far,so good. I'll try to get my darling wife to take a picture.May take awhile though...

The thicker .09 kydex should help for the life of the clip. (the clip attachment point tends to wear out eventually). I have started attaching clips separate, so I can install new as needed.
    I wondered about that. If it wears out I'll just cut it off and install another separate clip. Do you use rivets or Chicago screws or what ?

Thanks all for the compliments. Its not that hard to do. I think about anyone ought to be able to do it with a little patience.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Lead Moderator
    Typically I use rivets , but Chicago screws occasionally.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Everyone makes this seem so easy, I have got to try this. Maybe I'll start out by making a knife sheath or something easier than the holster just to get some technique down. I love DIY projects. Nice Job!
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Good job! Now you can tweak your design with improvements. The first that I see is to allow a better grip of the firearm. The way it is now puts kydex in the way of your fingers.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Looks good, I'm going to have to try this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links