Defensive Carry banner

Sparks Executive Companion?

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  bluelineman 
#1 ·
I have read here about the VM II. and those singing its praises. However I read that Tony Kanaley prefers the EX Companion. I like the looks of the EX companion a little better. Does anybody have any experience with this versus the VM II? Mr. Kanaley, your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I would probably order one for my g23 and the p220 I plan to purchase.

#2 ·
I have worn an EX every day for the past three years - and I also own a VM II and a Summer Special. I ordered the EX thinking that the extra leather at the bottom would help distribute the pressure from the barrel and slide on my short little 3" Colt Defender. The VMII is awesome with an Officer's gun or larger, but with my small to average build, the Defender had a habit of pressing right into the nerves in my hip by the end of the day.
So, I ordered an EX figuring it might help. And, it sure did. I wear Wrangler cowboy jeans, and based on the belt loops, the EX does not have to straddle a belt loop (though the holster's loop is cut for it). The EX stays where I put it, does not move around, though I'd give the vote for "rock solid" to the VM II over it, but that's a function of the way the two are designed.
I have twice walked downstairs at home in the morning and had to go back up and get my gun, because with the EX, I forget it's there.

#3 ·
I had one, it's thicker at the belt attachment than the VM-II but it was comfortable to wear, oh! And easy to take on an off... I did like that a lot! I sold it to a friend though because the VM-II is better! :rolleyes:

#4 ·
Of the two mentioned I have only used the ExC, but I have two, one horsehide for my Kahr P9, and the other cowhide with a barrier shield for my 1911 compact. I do not have a preference in regards to horsehide vs cowhide.

I have used other brands, and still the ExC remains my favorite IWB holster. The extra skirting makes a difference in not having the end of the holster dig into my body.

Regards,
Jerry

#7 ·
Be careful what you say, TK will give you a smack down for that.:rofl:

But I have to agree, I'd much rather carry a watch six type holster for my tastes. Not sure about the EC but I like the belt loops seperated (wider) for better stability of the holster.

His response was..."I put my .45 in when I dress, and take it out when I get undressed. In the event that I have to pull it, it'll be laying on the ground. You'll never have to reholster after a defensive show of force". Makes a great point
I share in that same point with your buddy. No way can I carry all day with a VM-II, I just can't do it, I was constantly fighting with the holster all day.

Ti

#6 ·
I love my VM-II's, but have some Brommeland Max-Con V's that are great too. The difference between a reinforced opening is debatable. If you're training or doing multiple presentations, the stiff mouth is necessary. The other day my old friend Slydlok came down from NM and we were comparing our carry pieces. I had mine in a VM-II and he had his in a Max-Con V. We fondled the guns back and forth, then I watched him reholster having to use his off-hand to open the mouth of the holster back up. I simply shoved mine back in the opening. His response was..."I put my .45 in when I dress, and take it out when I get undressed. In the event that I have to pull it, it'll be laying on the ground. You'll never have to reholster after a defensive show of force". Makes a great point for the Max-Con V or Spark's EX. These two are my favorite leathercrafters.

#8 ·
I have some holsters which do not stay open for one hand re-holstering. Personally I consider it dangerous to have to use one that does not stay open. I have found it is sometimes necessary to have the muzzle of the gun point to your body. For that reason I won't use one, but to each his own.

All my newer holsters stay open. The Sparks I-BAK, and ExC stay open, as do the holsters from Brommeland, K&D, and Andrews.

Regards,
Jerry

#10 ·
I can think of a couple time a day when I draw, or shall I say, un-holster my weapon! :image035:

#18 ·
Oh I should be so lucky! :image035:

Actually I have to add those occasions when I lock up my weapon in my vehicle when I get to work and discretely re-holstering when leaving work. I think the reinforced opening is a must have. Even if I just needed it that one time, after an unfortunate shooting situation, when trying to re-holster while calling 911 or whatever, still, very nice to have.

Just one man's opinion.

#13 ·
...However I read that Tony Kanaley prefers the EX Companion..
That I do..

I like the looks of the EX companion a little better. Does anybody have any experience with this versus the VM II? Mr. Kanaley, your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I would probably order one for my g23 and the p220 I plan to purchase.
I'd be happy to give you my sales pitch in private. Feel free to email or PM me with your questions. Thanks!

T

#15 ·
I too, have both holsters and I think it depends on the size of your pistol. If for example you carry 3" 1911, your VMII will also have the extra leather at the bottom same as the Ex Comp. In this case I would still choose the VMII for the wider distribution of weight.
But if you carry a full size pistol then no extra leather on the VMII and therefore I prefer my EX Companion. Makes sense???

Check out my pics. In my case, my VMII for the J-frame has the extended leather which turns out the winner!

#17 ·
:hand10:I hear ya TwinCarry.

I've both holsters, in many flavors. The EC works wonders for me as the pistol gets bigger and heavier. That paddle is certainly a good thing.

I'm slowly trying to convert to the Executive Companion exclusively. Although I keep buying VM2's as well!

It's an illness, I tell ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.