Sparks Executive Companion?

This is a discussion on Sparks Executive Companion? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read here about the VM II. and those singing its praises. However I read that Tony Kanaley prefers the EX Companion. I like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparks Executive Companion?

Sparks Executive Companion?

I have read here about the VM II. and those singing its praises. However I read that Tony Kanaley prefers the EX Companion. I like the looks of the EX companion a little better. Does anybody have any experience with this versus the VM II? Mr. Kanaley, your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I would probably order one for my g23 and the p220 I plan to purchase.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I have worn an EX every day for the past three years - and I also own a VM II and a Summer Special. I ordered the EX thinking that the extra leather at the bottom would help distribute the pressure from the barrel and slide on my short little 3" Colt Defender. The VMII is awesome with an Officer's gun or larger, but with my small to average build, the Defender had a habit of pressing right into the nerves in my hip by the end of the day.
    So, I ordered an EX figuring it might help. And, it sure did. I wear Wrangler cowboy jeans, and based on the belt loops, the EX does not have to straddle a belt loop (though the holster's loop is cut for it). The EX stays where I put it, does not move around, though I'd give the vote for "rock solid" to the VM II over it, but that's a function of the way the two are designed.
    I have twice walked downstairs at home in the morning and had to go back up and get my gun, because with the EX, I forget it's there.

VIP Member
    I had one, it's thicker at the belt attachment than the VM-II but it was comfortable to wear, oh! And easy to take on an off... I did like that a lot! I sold it to a friend though because the VM-II is better!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Of the two mentioned I have only used the ExC, but I have two, one horsehide for my Kahr P9, and the other cowhide with a barrier shield for my 1911 compact. I do not have a preference in regards to horsehide vs cowhide.

I have used other brands, and still the ExC remains my favorite IWB holster. The extra skirting makes a difference in not having the end of the holster dig into my body.

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I agree and for my purposes the EC is a much better rig than the VMII which I find to be too large and bulky. Don't get me wrong, I still own a few VMII's but only for my large and heavy S&W semi-autos, the type of gun for which the VMII really shines.

I love my VM-II's, but have some Brommeland Max-Con V's that are great too. The difference between a reinforced opening is debatable. If you're training or doing multiple presentations, the stiff mouth is necessary. The other day my old friend Slydlok came down from NM and we were comparing our carry pieces. I had mine in a VM-II and he had his in a Max-Con V. We fondled the guns back and forth, then I watched him reholster having to use his off-hand to open the mouth of the holster back up. I simply shoved mine back in the opening. His response was..."I put my .45 in when I dress, and take it out when I get undressed. In the event that I have to pull it, it'll be laying on the ground. You'll never have to reholster after a defensive show of force". Makes a great point for the Max-Con V or Spark's EX. These two are my favorite leathercrafters.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    I agree and for my purposes the EC is a much better rig than the VMII which I find to be too large and bulky. Don't get me wrong, I still own a few VMII's but only for my large and heavy S&W semi-autos, the type of gun for which the VMII really shines.
    Be careful what you say, TK will give you a smack down for that.

But I have to agree, I'd much rather carry a watch six type holster for my tastes. Not sure about the EC but I like the belt loops seperated (wider) for better stability of the holster.

His response was..."I put my .45 in when I dress, and take it out when I get undressed. In the event that I have to pull it, it'll be laying on the ground. You'll never have to reholster after a defensive show of force". Makes a great point
    I share in that same point with your buddy. No way can I carry all day with a VM-II, I just can't do it, I was constantly fighting with the holster all day.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I have some holsters which do not stay open for one hand re-holstering. Personally I consider it dangerous to have to use one that does not stay open. I have found it is sometimes necessary to have the muzzle of the gun point to your body. For that reason I won't use one, but to each his own.

All my newer holsters stay open. The Sparks I-BAK, and ExC stay open, as do the holsters from Brommeland, K&D, and Andrews.

Regards,
    Jerry

If you never draw the gun during a normal day, what difference does it matter?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I can think of a couple time a day when I draw, or shall I say, un-holster my weapon!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thumper...In those situations you have the luxury of tucking and reholstering behind the bathroom door, unless you're talking about some office romance...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Hi AZ Husker,

I always take the gun out of the holster at least twice every day that I wear one. I do not find that the reinforced mouth makes the holster any more difficult to conceal than otherwise.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    ...However I read that Tony Kanaley prefers the EX Companion..
    That I do..

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I like the looks of the EX companion a little better. Does anybody have any experience with this versus the VM II? Mr. Kanaley, your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I would probably order one for my g23 and the p220 I plan to purchase.
    I'd be happy to give you my sales pitch in private. Feel free to email or PM me with your questions. Thanks!

T
    Second Best is not an option

I own both and prefer the EX - the flange makes it more comfortable. The loop lays flat on the belt and does not compromise concealability.

I too, have both holsters and I think it depends on the size of your pistol. If for example you carry 3" 1911, your VMII will also have the extra leather at the bottom same as the Ex Comp. In this case I would still choose the VMII for the wider distribution of weight.
    But if you carry a full size pistol then no extra leather on the VMII and therefore I prefer my EX Companion. Makes sense???

Check out my pics. In my case, my VMII for the J-frame has the extended leather which turns out the winner!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links