Comparison of Ctac and Raven Concealment IWB holster

This is a discussion on Comparison of Ctac and Raven Concealment IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey gang, first post here... I want to pass along my observations on these 2 holsters. I carry IWB, usually tuckable, usually at 3:30, sometimes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of Ctac and Raven Concealment IWB holster

Comparison of Ctac and Raven Concealment IWB holster

Hey gang, first post here...
    I want to pass along my observations on these 2 holsters. I carry IWB, usually tuckable, usually at 3:30, sometimes at 2:00 (appendix). Yeah, it is asking alot for a holster to work both ways, and it is a compromise to be sure. I do this when I am on a road trip, or wearing clothes that print the butt of my pistol.

I like the Ctac, it is a high quality holster, and the company is great to deal with, under promise and over delivering on service. I liked this holster at 4:00 and it is a good choice. Strong suit is adjustability- you can get it to just the right height and depth with the system they use. It was pretty comfortable, wearing it 10-12 hours a day.
    Comp-Tac : Products

After seeing that the Ctac left some printing on my shirts and pants due to the fact that I have no butt I guess, I started searching for a better idea. A poster showed photos of his Raven Concealment systems holster, and it appealed to me. After a call to Jay at Raven, I was even more intrigued and ordered one, with a couple of additional belt hook-ups. Raven has several ways to attach the holster for IWB, OWB, paddle, tuckable. You should check the Raven website to see their approach that makes this flexibility work for CCW.
    Raven Concealment Systems

Anyway, when it showed up I set it up the way I wanted and mounted it right away. What I noted: The Kydex molding is the best I have seen, very very accurate. I like thin Kydex, I think the material is all but bullet proof, so doesn't need a lot of thickness to hold up. The mounting systems are solid and beefy, and the approach of using 2 sides riveted and molded to a body's shape makes for a thinner holster overall. Retention is a bit tight, but solid, no wiggle here. Printing is even more minimal than the Ctac, because it pulls in tight at the top without having to sink it too deep in my pants to get a good quick grip, and the way the holster rounds around my hip is great- no gap in between my belt and body as it goes around the holster at the front and rear corners. It is very comfortable, even at 2:00, though the mounting loops aren't ideal, as this is not the intention. If the folks at Raven start to make an appendix carry mounting option I will be first in line! In short, this is my choice for EDC at this time.

Paul

2. Remove Ads

It looks great. Unfortunately they don't make it for my pistol.

Bummer

Yeah, that's a problem. Have you called them to ask? They seem accommodating, but are a small outfit. They had just added my gun recently.
    Paul

I've been thinking about a Raven holster. I wondered how well it could work with "add ons" vs. a holster that had a dedicated design. Also, I don't believe the cant is adjustable.

SKVINSON,
    You are right, the cant is not adjustable, though they will work with you on that, they told me. Adding stuff on is a strength of the Raven system, you can daisy-chain together mag holders, light holsters, etc. They all work to wrap around a body, with some flex, so you can build a nice set of carry gear.

Paul

Pics of your rigs being worn?

And Welcome to forum.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Quote Originally Posted by pbanbury View Post
    SKVINSON,
    Adding stuff on is a strength of the Raven system, you can daisy-chain together mag holders, light holsters, etc. They all work to wrap around a body, with some flex, so you can build a nice set of carry gear.

Paul
    Oh now I can see someone going to the extreme carrying 3 guns and 9+ mags completely encircling them. I want to see a picture of that!
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC View Post
    Pics of your rigs being worn?
    Yes, I would love to see some pics - of you wearing the rig and of the add-ons themselves. Raven's site is not very strong in that department.

Pics

Yes, I am signing up now for Photobucket- aaarrrgghhh! Then I have to re-shoot my lousy photos- aaaarrgghh! But it will be worth it, photos are cool aren't they? Stand by for a few hours till I get back to base.

Here's a couple of questions for you:

What is your primary carry gun?
    Where did you get a tuckable IWB? The only holsters on that "RCS" website appear to be OWB - unless you are supposed to rig something up with parachute cord.

I don't have a CTAC - but chances are good (I'd give 95%) that if you wear a good belt and adjust the position, you will be able to conceal (whatever) you are trying to.

Maybe I'm just untrusting of a new product that is totally unproven, made by a company I've never heard of, on an unfinished website. JMO....

Austin

Raven's home page has links to a couple sites that sell their products. There are pictures on one of those sites of the various add-on clips, etc.

The Malabar Front

If it works well, it has a lot of potential. I'm anxious to see the pictures.

Austin,

Yeah, the website is not very professional, you are better off going to the link to The Malabar Front here:

The Malabar Front

It is one of the owner's site for sales. It always shocks me a little when I come across a lame website. I wish everyone would get their priorities right! But its a small company, only a few years making holsters, and not focussed on growth. Whatever happened to businesses like those I wonder?

So I picked up the phone and called Raven, and talked with Jay for a while. He related the company's history and did a good job describing his customer base. I thought I would take the owner at his word about the development and history of the holster with various undercover high speed low drag types. I felt comfortable about his word based on a reference from the guys at Strider Knives (another company that was small a few years ago with a feeble website), who I know firsthand, but thought I would buy one and get a hands on experience before giving it a thumbs-up.

Like you Austin, I don't like lame new ideas. Further, I don't really believe products with good websites or popular acceptance are always better- cynical, curmudgeonly, careful? I took a gamble and sent my 70 odd dollars for a look-see.

My carry gun is an XD9sc. I use a Wilderness 5 stitch belt, find it to be substantial and comfortable, as do many. Comp Tac worked with me to get the fit right, and it was an improvement over previous holster, but too square for my body- I wore it 10-12 hours a day for quite a while and was somewhat satisfied, but on the lookout for something better. The concealment was OK, but again not complete. Maybe I missed something or am paranoid. Note I do not knock the C-tac. It works for a lot of people, I let my buddy try it who has a bit more girth and it seems to work out well.

Parachute cord? Huh? No, the clips that adapt the holster are quite substantial. Not as beefy as my Blackhawk Serpa, but more so than my C-tac. They go on and off with the same size screws as Comp-Tac uses, though a philips head. You can go from paddle to IWB to tuckable, to OWB. Because of the curve they hold the rig close at the sides and top, and I like that. Definitely closer than any of the three holsters I have used with this gun.

Note how well the Kydex is formed to the gun. Yes, the Pierce magazine extension makes printing more pronounced, but it makes double taps much more accurate for me.

OK, I finally figured out photobucket, but am a lame photographer:

"Hey I have that rug!" - my wife.

Looks like it works! I still don't quite get it - are all the holes/grommets along each side threaded? and you screw it together with whatever clip you want to use? What makes it conceal better than your old holster?

For me, concealing is made difficult or easy by a few things: Position/cant, thickness of the gun, and clothing. What does this holster do different?

Austin

I am looking at ordering a holster but I am looking at the one with the light. It would be for my M&P45 w/ insight ssl-1 light. I am just trying to decide if I want to carry the light or without. Has anyone else thought about carrying a weapon mounted gun for CCW?
    (I already carry a surefire g2z light)

What a poor choice of a brand name..."Raven", long known as the worst handgun maker in the world!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links