Safepacker unit? - Page 2

Safepacker unit?

This is a discussion on Safepacker unit? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Different 'strokes' for different folks...but not for me...seems difficult to draw from...I prefer the plain old IWB....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Safepacker unit?

Different 'strokes' for different folks...but not for me...seems difficult to draw from...I prefer the plain old IWB.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Draw isn't that bad (once the flap is unlatched). Reaching to grip the weapon causes the velcro'd seam on the barrel side to part, you draw out the opened side rather than up and over the top. It's not my EDC holster (I'm generally using an IWB) but definately has its uses in particular situations.

Nick

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Anyone (right-handed) hook this up to a seatbelt in a crossdraw position?

Misunderstood

The Safepacker seems to be a very mis-understood piece of gear. I have always had one for each of my different sized guns (J-frame size, Commander size, and Full size).

As was said in an earlier post it was designed for high angle rescue operations so the sheriff's deputies could still carry their weapons whilst hanging off a cliff. For that it is the best holster I have found and I have used mine for that many times.

It is a great "hidden in plain sight" holster. I have carried a j-frame in one as a man purse with my keys and wallet in it wearing sweats to the store.

It is a superb vehicle solution. The best way that I have found is to mount it to the middle of the bench seat in my truck with a piece of webbing wrapped all the way around the bench and the holster totally laid flat but clipped to the webbing. I got pulled over and showed the cop, he was so impressed with the hidden in plain sight aspect he gave me a warning and sent me on my way.

It is also the best backpacking/hiking holster out there IMO, it protects the weapon well and with practice is very fast into operation.

As with most things, I have found that those with dispariging remarks have not owned and or practiced with the things that they opine negatively on.

My first concealed carry holster was a Safepacker. I used that before I got my CCW since it is designed as a holster and is therefore "open carry" at least in AZ, and the few other states where my CCW doesn't work.

On top of all that it is a great way to keep a ready to go system of gun, ammo, flashlight, knife, and credentials handy.

Great holster, great piece of gear!!! I have recommended them to everyone I can and many have bought them and are very happy.

I have no affiliation with The Wilderness, though I wish I did so I could get free gear!!!!

CPTD

I use it when I go hiking or Mt biking. Put it on my pack belt, and go on with the activity.

Some times I will gab it if I don't what, or have time to put on my normal carry gear.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I have a couple of them. I have worn them on my belt but frankly they are not real comfortable that way. I use them in my car a lot. I have worn them in various positions on my seat belt including cross draw. I also bought a 2 inch strap at Academy and most of the time now I carry it with the strap over my head and shoulders. I have carried this way into a bunch of stores and have never gotten a second look. It is a great carry in plain sight holster.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Yankee, how does it work cross-draw? Does it secure easily to the lapbelt so it gets out of the way when you take the belt off?

ummm...i'd try a real holster instead
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The Safepacker IS s REAL holster. The interior is designed to fit the weapon, and the exterior is designed to disguise its function. The draw is actually much better than from any "fanny pack" type of rig I have tried. Up to a certain size, it can be worn on the belt, openly, and everyone seems to assume it is meant for holding a PDA or something like that. A larger one can be worn on a strap, and in urban areas, men wearing bags on straps is quite common these days. Being an LEO, I can carry where those with CHL/CCW licenses cannot, and I have walked right past security guards, and LEOs acting as security guards, who were standing at the entrances to places where weapons are not allowed. Before anyone screams about off-body carry being unwise, I will say it is normal for me to carry two handguns, and only one is in the Safepacker. A Safepacker is a great way for me to have a 4" GP100 or 1911 with me, which will work much better than a compact auto or snubby in an "active shooter" scenario.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links