4" XD Holster Options.

This is a discussion on 4" XD Holster Options. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I am looking at getting a 4 inch XD either 9mm service or .45 Compact in the VERY near future, as well as ...

Thread: 4" XD Holster Options.

4" XD Holster Options.

Hi all, I am looking at getting a 4 inch XD either 9mm service or .45 Compact in the VERY near future, as well as starting the process of getting my CCW. So another part of the puzzle must be the holster. After some research as well as some experimentation with airsoft models. I prefer IWB at 4 o'clock. I was looking at this. WalkAbout - IWB Holster - Springfield XD For the price I think it would serve me well, just running this past those more knowledgable. Open to comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

mine

I have the XD 40 sc and love it. With the mag extensions the grip is perfect..I use the Fist holster at 3-4 oclock depending on what I am wearing. If you add a nice stiff gun belt it really helps. I cant rememebr the exact holster number but it is a hi ride style that make the gun sit higher up away from your hip

the holster they are showing there the walkabout has room for an extra mag, seems it would be very bulky for IWB with an extra mag sitting on the front, but maybe not, I would go with their other model that does not include the magpouch on the holster.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd recommend an IWB holster with two offset loops, rather than on the body of the holster. This makes it thinner, more stable, comfortable, and easy to conceal. If you want a magazine pouch, I'd put in on your belt on the opposite side from the gun. Here's a look at the IWB holster I use for my 4" XD.

Both of these pieces came from Nate Gable (Jarhead79 on this board) of UBG Holsters.

Here are some pics of the pieces when not worn, so you can get an idea of size.

Last edited by Chooie; January 18th, 2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added second set of photos.

I have a 4" .45 ACP and I love it.

While I don't like IWB, I sometimes have to go that route and I own several from High Noon Holsters . They are excellent.

For normal carry I use a BlackHawk CQC Serpa paddle/belt holster. It's easy to adjust and comes with both paddle and belt attachments so it's very application flexible.

I have the x-project galco holster for my car, only because I can 'button' it onto my belt without much effort (moving my gun from 3:00 to 9:00 for cross-draw).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Ive tried three different holsters for my XD9 Service (all IWB at 4 o'clock):

- Milt Sparks VM2
    - Brommeland MC5
    - CTAC

I wore the CTAC for 2 days and HATED it. I then wore the VM2 for roughly 3 months, when I decided I needed my holster to cant the gun a little more. I contacted Brommeland for his MC5 which he assured me would cant a bit more than the VM2.

Long story short, Ive worn/loved the MC5 ever since and have long since sold both the VM2 and CTAC.

Its kind of one of those things you need to feel for yourself, as EVERYONE says the VM2 is the end-all-be-all of IWB holsters, and I found it just wasnt for me.
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I go iwb tucker texas heritage tuckable, with 4" service model at three oclock. works for me, but iwb I would go with leather only. jmo.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

VIP Member
    Have a look at CROSSBREED.com and see what they have.
    I got the Super Tuck Deluxe for a Kel-Tel PF-9 and it works good for me. Good Luck.

What Chooie said about offset beltloops for IWB holsters is right on target. Loops over the holster get way too thick for me.

RE Lee, I too found the Ctac less than comfortable. Had to carry at 4:00, and then the butt printed when I stooped, or slouched on a stool, which I do alot (not a bar stool, counter stool).

I carry about 10-12 hours a day, and demand complete concealment. I like IWB for my 3" XD and my 4" 1911. I also like a good tuckable for better concealment in more situations. About half the time I don't tuck, and it is fine. Here is a photo (sorry for the soft focus):

It is a Raven Concealment holster I bought here:
    The Malabar Front
    I found it more comfortable than the C-tac, cost about the same.

I am on holster number 3, all plastic. The other is a Blackhawk Serpa, but it is very not concealable for me, so has become a range holster.

Good luck with your search!

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Have a look at CROSSBREED.com and see what they have.
    I got the Super Tuck Deluxe for a Kel-Tel PF-9 and it works good for me. Good Luck.
    You linked me to the Band CrossBreed's Website. lol.
    Google turned this up however. CrossBreed Holsters, Innovative holsters for concealed carry-1911-Glock-HK-Sig-Taurus-Kimber-Springfield-Colt-XD :D

Thanks for the options everyone, seems I have some thinking to do.

No one else has mentioned it, but in your opening post you mentioned the price of the holster you are considering. A word of caution: You would be the luckiest guy alive if the very first holster you bought turned out to be the one you're both most comfortable wearing and most proficient drawing from. In other words, chances are you are embarking on a journey of much trial and error. Depending on your experience with firearms, the same thing might be said about them too. You will save money in the long run if you thoroughly study this and other forums and buy one or two of the most highly-touted holsters for comfort, concealability, retention and ease of draw rather than giving more than cursory consideration to the price. Of course, price is always a consideration, but the market is absolutely flooded with holster makers now, and in many cases, what one guy might be selling for $150 bucks, the next guy might be selling something very similar for $75 bucks. All of the top makers are backlogged, with waits of 6 months or more not being uncommon, and lots of new(er) leathersmiths are trying to get noticed by offering much better prices and more immediate availability. The same is true of makers specializing in Kydex and hybrid holsters.

Look around and read a lot. Get familiar with the types of holsters that people say they like the best for the reasons you consider most important to you, and look for that type of holster, as opposed to looking for the specific maker that they're talking about. Like I said, you'll likely save money by making one or two informed purchases, even if they're relatively expensive, over buying holster after holster that is uncomfortable to wear or untrustworthy to use.

**EDITED to add:

By the way, I wear a Crossbreed every day for 10 - 12 hours a day and am thrilled with it. I also just ordered a Raven Phantom for another gun I have that pbanbury posted a picture of above, and anticipate being thrilled with that one too. I have probably 20 holsters for the three handguns I own, and I doubt I'll be "done" experimenting when I get the Raven, no matter how much I like it. A lot of people who are into guns admire the craftsmanship that goes into making a good one as much as the utility of the piece, and for me, holsters are the same way. You may not know it yet, but whatever holster you buy for your new gun may be just the first one you put into your new collecting hobby! Good luck and shoot safe!

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    Sorry about that Hat3d1, I was half asleep. I need a .

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Before you make a choice do yourself a favor and check out the Dakota Defender from K&D K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories or the Max-Con V from coal creek armory.
    I have both and can say without hesitation that both are great holsters. Good luck with your search.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I haven't been carrying for long, but I already have several holsters for each gun; each of them have their strong points and weak points.

I carry my XD45 4" Service in a Don Hume Agent 711 at about 4-5 o'clock (I have a similar type DeSantis holster for my G17); I can easily keep it concealed under a t-shirt, and it provides for an easy draw with practice. I also like the thumb break, which gives me the option of OC if I so choose (legal here in MN), although I feel it's redundant when you're concealing.
    PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL SPRINGFIELD XD

Another holster that I really like is my Dillon IHL Ltd. class. I only have one of these for my G17, and I wear it at 3 o'clock. It's not as concealable as my Don Hume Agent, but it's comfortable as hell and offers a lightning fast draw.

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

I also have a Fobus paddle holster (feels like walking around with a brick strapped to your belt), and a Don Hume JIT Slide (holds the weapon well, but exposes the muzzle to possible scratching on the rivets of some of my jeans).

Before I got my carry permit, I carried around my house whenever I was home, and I bought used holsters cheap on ebay in order to try them out and get an idea of what's what. Also, I didn't listen at first when people told me to get an actual holster belt; after I got sick of my holstered weapon flopping around on my department store belt, I went out and got a nice non-cop looking Galco belt and haven't regretted it (this was while I was still just carrying at home).

I don't belt-carry spare mags (especially since my guns hold 14 to 18 rounds, and a typical SD shooting is boom-boom-911) because I don't want to have to deal with one more clunky thing hanging from my waist. I always have a spare mag in my right front jacket or pants pocket, depending on what I'm wearing, but I don't ever anticipate needing it.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Links