Need help with this motorcycle thing...

This is a discussion on Need help with this motorcycle thing... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We touched on this in another thread briefly, but I'd really like to know more about how some of you carry on your bikes (motorcycles). ...

Thread: Need help with this motorcycle thing...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

We touched on this in another thread briefly, but I'd really like to know more about how some of you carry on your bikes (motorcycles). I've taken up commuting to work on mine but it's made it just about impossible to carry. I can't/won't take it into work. I've just decided to follow their rules on that. When I drove a car I locked my weapon in the glove box and then locked the car. NO ONE at work has even a clue that I carry.

So now on the bike, it's a challenge. When I go out for a ride, I'll carry IWB under my jacket. But going to work? There are some plastic covers that have locks. I could put a small J frame or even my Kahr in there but behind a PLASTIC cover?

I've even thought of trying to get a metal cover that locks so they'd have to steal the whole bike or at lease put the same effort into breaking into it that they might have to for a car.

As it is, I hate to leave a weapon in a car. My brother-in-law is an LEO and he hates the idea of anyone locking their gun in their car. He works in Chicago and says it's one of the things BG's look for when they break into a car and that they watch people parking in malls to see if they can spot someone who seems (from upper body movement) to be stowing a weapon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Gideon

Assistant Administrator
    I wish I could offer some good advice.

I am lucky in that I can and do carry all the time so bike carry for me is ''how'', as against working out ways to circumvent work restrictions and the like. I carry as normal - OWB 3.30 or so - and hope if I take a spill I will not harm me and the gun too much thru doing so.!

Biggest problem I imagine is - even if there was some very secure stowage method on a bike - it is gonna be real tricky actually divesting of the piece and placing it secure - in a clandestine manner.

I am hoping to ride to Pitt' Sept 6 to save gas - if I do and don't take truck, I have this problem because I have to enter a Fed building. Not at all sure yet how I will play it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well youve got issues! :D

It depends on how well you want to follow the rules @ work.

If you were a law abiding citizen like we all are, you can lock the gun under your seat where your tools are. Some bikes have different designs and this wont work..but most have very hard plastic/metal seat pans and good lock setups. It wouldnt be hard by any means.

My first choice is being armed all of the time.....even when I couldnt carry at work......in my past lifetime as a salesman.....I did this on .....er.......um....a rare occasion. :D :chairshot

If you carry at work...my first choice for carrying on a bike is a shoulder holster, next is in a tank bag.....great access and you can take it off the bike and bring it with you not leaving your gun on/in your bike.

Its not an easy one to work out completely.................
    Shoot well.......Eric
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Mine stays in a tank bag when on the bike. Never leave it locked anywhere if I can help it.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Lead Moderator
    perhaps a missouri carry box . Also you can take the mag. into work with ya or similar. Some kind of lockbox should be avalible to secure on your bike. As for covertly transfering , no clue.

New Member Array Gary in Pennsylvania's Avatar
    Whulp, as much as I've set my mind of the maker for my next holster........I'm still gonna try/make this:

AZ-SIG Secure Concealed Rig

This looks and works FANTASTIC! I myself don't do well with IWB holsters. But I cannot ALWAYS let my shirt hang out to conceal my CZ ( gotta still go to church and semi-formal functions etc... ). Well, this will allow for that.

What do ya think???
    Gary in Pennsylvania

-------------------------------

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours - Richard Bach

CZ-75D PCR Compact
    CZ-75BD POLICE
    Ruger GP-100 KGPF-330
    3" short shroud!
    Ruger SP-101 KSP-331
    3"
    VULA.ORG VINTAGE ULTRALIGHTS

I too am leery of carrying a sizeable chunk of metal and plastic on my hip while riding. So I put in my tank bag and take the whole bag with me when I leave the bike. Of course, I also take my keys and knife out of my pockets too, so I may be a bit overly cautious. I also can't carry at work, so I just don't bring it, but I can understand how that isn't the best option. I do struggle with that conundrum as well.

I guess it depends on how secure/risky your parking location is. You could get some hard, lockable luggage like a top box or saddlebags. They provide reasonably secure storage, but if it's not a great area, you may find the luggage broken off with a crowbar. Under the seat is also reasonable, but again, a crowbar can probably pop off most seats in a second. Of course, there's always the 4 guys and a van theft where they just pick up your whole bike and throw it in the van. So anything actually on the bike is only going to be secure to a certain extent.

If you do have to lock it up on the bike, maybe field strip it and take the frame with you. I know it would be difficult to do discretely, but you could probably do it inside a bag and maybe at a discrete location not too far from work. The frame, or whichever part has the serial number, is the hardest thing for a thief to replace and the remaining parts wouldn't be too useful. I don't think taking the mag out is enough if you are concerned about keeping a gun out of the wrong hands. Of course, you have to ask yourself whether the frame would be considered a "firearm" by your work policy.

Another possibility is to carry in something like a Wilderness Safepacker. This would make it much more discrete if you wanted to move the gun from your tank bag or belt to your luggage or under the seat.

I don't think there really is a good answer to this situation. ;(

Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

What kind of Bike do you ride? If I had MY dream bike (loaded GOLDWING) I wouldn't hesitate to leave my gun locked in the bike in an area reasonably secure.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    What kind of Bike do you ride? If I had MY dream bike (loaded GOLDWING) I wouldn't hesitate to leave my gun locked in the bike in an area reasonably secure.
    I ride a 99 BMW F650. It's true that a GoldWing is more secure due to the factory luggage and that it weighs quite a bit more. I think the key here is where you park. As you say "reasonably secure". I wouldn't have a problem locking a gun in my Jesse Bags where I park. I don't even bother to lock the steering in my lot. But if I had to leave my bike parked on the street in NYC or Chicago or another less secure area, I would not feel the same way.

Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Sponsored Links