How to break in holster

This is a discussion on How to break in holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Everybody i just bought a Galco Side Snap Scabbard for my G23 and wanted to know if there was a way to break it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to break in holster

How to break in holster

Hey Everybody i just bought a Galco Side Snap Scabbard for my G23 and wanted to know if there was a way to break it in. My problem is when i go to pull the gun out of the holster it doesnt want to come out easy. i have to pull hard and use my other hand to hold the holster and belt down. Plus it seems like if i keep doing this it will take off the finish of the slide. also i took out the retention screw out and still have the problem
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bballer4life View Post
    Hey Everybody i just bought a Galco Side Snap Scabbard for my G23 and wanted to know if there was a way to break it in. My problem is when i go to pull the gun out of the holster it doesnt want to come out easy. i have to pull hard and use my other hand to hold the holster and belt down. Plus it seems like if i keep doing this it will take off the finish of the slide. also i took out the retention screw out and still have the problem
    Personally, I just draw... draw... draw... after a few days it'll be broken in right. If you're worried about the finish, a bluegun (training gun) is cheap.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I'm not an advocate of "The Plastic Bag Method" and other various ways people have to stretch out a holster.

What I would do is, insert gun in holster and put on belt. Then I would draw , draw and draw some more. Oh, did I say draw, draw and draw some more?

After this I would draw, draw and draw some more. This should be followed by draw, draw and some more. Not to be outdone, you need to draw, draw and draw some more.

The you can go to another room in your house and draw, draw and draw some more. Soon, like in a couple of days, if you draw, draw and draw some more you will find that you have built the muscle memory to draw the weapon without any problems and always have a good grip an said weapon.

As far as the finish, yup, it sucks but leather is abrasive. There is no getting around that. I'm wearing the blue off my Thunder Ranch Revolver, but I don't care as it's not a "safe queen".

OK, now go forth and draw, draw and draw some more.

Biker

LOL thanks for the advice i guess im gonna go draw, draw, draw and draw

The finish on a carry gun will wear......

get over it!

Seriously though, a nice pretty gun that you don't want to scratch should be kept for range work only. Like others said, drawing and keeping the gun in the holster is the best thing. Don't put any conditioner or anything on a holster.
    -Biker

I personally have had no problems using one layer of wax paper around my guns when I'm breaking in my holsters. Just did this to a new Max Con V for my G26 a couple of weeks ago and let it sit in the holster overnight and it was absolutely perfect the next day after a couple of draws. I'm sure everyone has their thing but I like this method.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Reading the posts here I thought I'd been caught in a time warp to the 70's.

There is a product made by Mitch Rosen called LEATHER LIGHTNING. Take some of that and rub it inside the leather with your fingers and work it in deep. Then start drawing. As product as needed and I'll bet it won't need much if any. Won't harm the gun in any way. Won't cause the leather to soften or stretch which is bad for the holster. Try this stuff. It's 21st century cutting edge.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Just received a new Brommeland that was TIGHT. He recommends the wax paper or saran wrap overnight, then multiple drawings. Be careful, I have a friend who thought if a couple wraps of wax paper is good, ten must be better. He ended up with a sloppy fit that can't be fixed.

Beware break in products on Galco Products

you best read the instructions that came with the Galco. The plainly tell you NO Lubricants for break in. my late shooting buddy was old school and ignored them, and promptly ruined a new holster. It went limp as a noodle.

the wax paper method works. but I made sure the gun was empty and spent a Saturday working a Stainless 1911 in and out of the holster. It came out perfectly. Galco are molded to tight tolerances, but well worth the break in period.

It took me 2 months of solid wear to break in their 1.75" belt. Now my pants don't call down when I carry a 1911 and 2 extra mags

Quote Originally Posted by geneinnc View Post
    you best read the instructions that came with the Galco. The plainly tell you NO Lubricants for break in. my late shooting buddy was old school and ignored them, and promptly ruined a new holster. It went limp as a noodle.
    Leather Lightning isn't a "lubricant" and I've used it with great success on my Galco "Concealable" for an H&K USP full size 45. I've also used it on Sam Andrews products with amazing success.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Captain...What does it do, how does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Leather Lightning isn't a "lubricant" and I've used it with great success on my Galco "Concealable" for an H&K USP full size 45. I've also used it on Sam Andrews products with amazing success.
    how does it work? sounds like a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Captain...What does it do, how does it work?
    LOL I haven't been called "captain" for a good many years. I did a double take. You were talking to me about Leather Lightning, right?

What it seems to do is to take the rough side of the leather holster and tamp it down, sort of fuse it together into a single smooth surface which allows the steel to be withdrawn smoothly. It will darken the inside of the holster. It will NOT damage the leather in any way, nor will it harm the gun.

Sounds like a little will go a long way. Should we all as a group buy a bottle and pass it around?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links