Smartcarry-ALMOST GOT MADE

Smartcarry-ALMOST GOT MADE

This is a discussion on Smartcarry-ALMOST GOT MADE within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO I'm having more issues with the smartcarry,I dunno how y'all do it. Usually its too tight,or rides down, but this one takes the cake. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry-ALMOST GOT MADE

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Thumbs down Smartcarry-ALMOST GOT MADE

SO I'm having more issues with the smartcarry,I dunno how y'all do it.

Usually its too tight,or rides down, but this one takes the cake.

Sitting in an office type chair,wearing jeans/tshirt,got up and went to make sure my shirt wasn't pulled up or anything esp after I saw a couple "" looks,...my shirt tail was stuck on the top of the velcro of the holster! Clearly exposing some kind of weird something I was wearing under my shirt, quick pulled it down. Noone said anything or looked at me funny any more,..I had my plan ready ! I figured if someone asked,I'd just say I was diabetic

So the smartcarry is pretty much retired unless I can firgure this thing out

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

That's the exact problem I had at first...they recommend you wrap the Smartcarry straps around your tucked in shirt, but forget to tell you that the strap will show unless you're wearing a jacket! It rides higher that your pant line. My rear strap rides up so high that it gets uncomfortable.

i guess i got lucky with mine,had it for about 6-7 months. no troubles (yet)
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I wonder if wearing an undershirt helps keep it from riding up? I don't like the way the band feels if it's in direct contact with my skin so I wear a cami or light t-shirt under it and I've never had a problem with it riding up.

Senior Moderator
    Ok this is how I wear my Smart Carry

The front part of my shirt is under the SmartCarry and the Tail of my Shirt is over the SmartCarry strap.

I will post pictures later today.
    Last edited by pgrass101; January 19th, 2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: I just rewrote so it made sense
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Moderator
    Here are the pics of how I wear my smart carry

Front of shirt tucked under SmartCarry

Shirt tail hanging over SmartCarry

My Normal daily wear

Hope this helps
    Last edited by pgrass101; January 19th, 2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Resized images
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    That's the exact problem I had at first...they recommend you wrap the Smartcarry straps around your tucked in shirt, but forget to tell you that the strap will show unless you're wearing a jacket! It rides higher that your pant line. My rear strap rides up so high that it gets uncomfortable.
    Actually, that's not how "they" recommend you wear it at all. Here's a picture of Charlie showing how *he* recommends it be worn:

All of Charlie's recommendations are pictured here.

I have issues with my SmartCarry also, but I still think it's a great idea and good for some specialized applications. I don't use mine every day, but it's not necessarily "retired" yet either. If it doesn't work for some people, no problem, don't use it, but if you're going to give it a try, at least try it the way the inventor recommends before tossing it aside.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Thanks for the replies. I always,always wear a "wife beater" or one of those ribbed sleeveless under shirts,but if I haven't really been able to effectively tuck it around the smartcarry,I'll try again. I like it overall,I think I need to experiment some more with it. As of right now,my uncle mikes "inside the pants" 10$ nylon holster is more comfortable, offers faster draw,..

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

akk, through away that nylon. if you are going to get owned for real thats how.(that wasnt actually getting owned btw, nobody had any idea what it was)
    if smartcarry doesnt work, fine. but get a good leather or kydex holster!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

The smartcarry redeemed itself somewhat today,..was wearing ALOT larger pants than usual (work pants,...stupid cintas,...ugh..cant ever get sizes right.) and jacket/shirt/tie combo...nobody could come close to telling.

The other issue I ran into was(same day I almost got made),I leaned down to tie my boot and heard a wrecthing "keghgkeghh" of velcro

Ghettokracker,

I had a similar problem with my SmartCarry when I first got it, but I found a solution that works for me concerning the riding up issue. I wear mine 16 hours a day, and it hasn't ridden up since I started doing this:

1) Figure out the correct adjustment of the velcro straps.

2) Take it off and mismatch the velcro straps. Leave 1/2-3/4" of velcro showing on the inner piece, with the exposed velcro on top facing out.

3) Put it on over your underwear, and bring your underwear top band up and over the back straps of the SmartCarry.

4) Turn the top 3/4" or so of your underwear down and stick it to the exposed velcro.

I know, I know, this procedure requires underwear. But it keeps my SmartCarry from moving, and if anything does show, it's a part of my underwear.

Note: Since this effectively leaves less underwear to use, it's more comfortable if you don't have tight underwear to start with.

Also, I don't turn down the front edge of the underwear. There seems to be no need, and I want the front area to be as flat as possible so as not to impede a draw.

This works for me either with a t-shirt or without.

Normally I wouldn't discuss underwear with a ... uh... guy, but for this, I'll make an exception.
    Last edited by grady; January 20th, 2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: 3/4", not 3-4"

I've had the back of my shirt get stuck to my smart carry a few times before as well and I have never found a way to keep the strap from riding up on my back. It gets rather uncomfortable like that. But this is why I haven't worn my smart carry in quite some time now. Now I just carry IWB all the time.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks again for the replies. Grady-I will try what you said. I realized that it only really works well if A) I wear my pants higher than normal,and less comfortably, and B) works ALOT better if I wear two under shirts,wich is a PITA. I was wearing 2 under shirts in the suit/tie deal,...and at work ,I do too. But normal everyday off work,is a Tshirt over a wifebeater. Worked today well for me, poked my gut a little,but thats to be expected. I need to invest in a pocket holster

Smartcarry=not so smart?

I don't relish the idea of having a gun pointed at my cohones.....

I have had numerous people come to us and wonder why they cannot draw fast or carry comfortably - Gee, I dunno, maybe it is because you buried the thing in your pants, under a shirt, under another shirt or sweater?

I do understand that there is a need for deep concealment, but carry in a more reliable, safe way and you will have less problems...

(just my 2 cents on the issue)

Well,its comfortable (fairly,I'm still new so I'm working on a full definition on whats very comfortable.) and I can draw very quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links