Trying an ankle holster

This is a discussion on Trying an ankle holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a Ross J-frame ankle holster today (8-19). I'm using this as a BUG, FYI. Does anyone have "more confortable" carry tips? Thanks in ...

Thread: Trying an ankle holster

Trying an ankle holster

I got a Ross J-frame ankle holster today (8-19). I'm using this as a BUG, FYI. Does anyone have "more confortable" carry tips?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I use ankle for R9 sometimes with a Pro-Tech ankle rig. Ankle is never comfortable for me - but it works.

For a J frame tho - and comfort - well ideal, if it was not bug, would be (for me) belt slide hi ride. Much as I have and used for SP-101.

Otherwise re a bug - I guess with suitable pockets and pocket holster - that can work and be not too uncomfortable.

So much depends on how things fit and the clothing in use - and even body size/weight etc.

Only BUG I find totally comfortable is ''Mr Mouse'' - NAA mini in vest pocket!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I sometimes carry my J-frame in a ancle holster. Especaly on hot days where Im not wearing much clothing. At first it felt very awkward. The more I use the holster, the less it bothers me. Just make sure it fits snug on your leg. The only thing that bothers me now is the lack of accesibility.

Senior Moderator
    I have a Galco ankle holster and I find it reasonably comfortable. The issue I have with ankle holsters is that they slide down my ankle and become unconfortable and exposed.

However, since I prefer to wear short boots (just above the ankle) I find that the top of the boot stops the ankle holster's downward slide. Galcos also come with a strap the goes around the upper calf, just under the knee, and attaches to the holster to keep it up. I don't like that so much - I feel it too much.

My preference in my "ankle" gun also helps. I carry a S&W model 340, .38 spcl. +P, AL frame with Titanium cylinder. The thing only weighs 11 oz; a bit more loaded.

Then we need to remember that carrying a gun will never be as comfortable as not carrying a gun, but not carrying a gun will never be as comforting as carrying a gun.

Lead Moderator
    I occasionally carry my PT 140 on the ankle. O.K. but a bit large and heavy with full mag. I don't really like the accesability and comort level of a ankle holster.

Try a "Belly Band" Works great with a loose fitting oxford shirt. Not so great for "Polos & Ts"----------
    str1

Links