Question from a new guy

Question from a new guy

This is a discussion on Question from a new guy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've spent a lot of time reading on this forum and a few others before purchasing M&P compact and my MTAC holster. I have been ...

Thread: Question from a new guy

V8 [OP]

Question from a new guy

I've spent a lot of time reading on this forum and a few others before purchasing M&P compact and my MTAC holster. I have been wearing it around for about three weeks and today I finally got the CCW finished and am now legal.

I purchased the MTAC holster because of all the great reviews from those that carry it. I however find almost unbearable while driving. Sitting in a chair or couch is ok but driving becomes very uncomfortable. I have read several peoples reviews and how they claim they don't even know it's there? Am I missing something? I have tried Both the 3:00 and a 4:30 position but still I'm not happy with the comfort, any tips or thoughts?

VIP Member
    It probably just doesn't fit your body shape. Best thing (IMHO) would be to start checking out different holsters. If you can figure out why it is uncomfortable (sits too high or too low or whatever) you can look for a holster that has those criteria.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    V8,

No habla es MTAC... I'm a VM-II guy myself so don't have that problem but I did want to say welcome!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Only the part where it says holsters are sometimes a very individual thing.

As you look around here you will find holsters that are usually recommended by a great majority of users. An example that comes to mind is the VMII. But there is also those few that just can't use it because of body shape or some other factor.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

You may have to play around with different ride heights and cant with that holster. If things don't get comfortable, look to try out another holster. I have a K&D Dakota Defender for my M&P Compact. It is very comfortable when driving. I'm betting there is some excess leather on your MTAC when used with that gun?

I also find that comfort sometimes vary among different car seats. Welcome aboard!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

What works for me on the MTAC is to adjust it to ride as high out of you wastband as possible with as much cant as possible. I like mine at 8:30 (left hand) when riding in the vehicle. If I was going to be standing a lot then 9:00 would be comfortable. I carry a full size 1911 and one of the things I found was that the Kydex plastic half shell (open bottom) extended to far below leather backing and was eating my leg up. A quick trim with a pair of snips fixed that problem. It's a good holster that needs to be played with until you hopefully find what works for you. Had mine on for 11 hours today without a problem
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am in the same boat as you are. I am pretty new to this and I am having a heck of a time trying to find the right holster/belt/position combo that is truly comfortable. I have the MTAC and like it. The holster is very adjustable as far as height and cant, so play with that a bit. Also, it is very easy to move the holster to various clock positions, so try to find that sweet spot.

As for the car, I read one person on another post recommend just tilting the gun a bit forward. This is easy to do on the MTAC as the clips allow a lot of play. I did that today and it worked like a charm. I found a few position where I do not even know it is there.

Good luck.

I think you will like this forum. The people here are very knowledgeable and very willing to help one of the flock. Do not hesitate to ask even what you may think is the silliest of questions. If you are thinking it, chances are it was already discussed or others are having the same questions.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    No experience with your holster but can highly recommend TT Gunleather. Have one for my .45 Springfiel Champion and it is a h--- of alot of holster for the money. It's very well made, extremely comfortable and good looking. Looks like a MS VM II but is half the price without the long wait. BTW have a VM II so I have something for comparasion. g19blk_JPG_w180h135.jpg. Good luck.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

V8 [OP]
    I probably should have said that I am using the "c-clips". After looking at the standard clips I think they will be comfortable due to the reduction in thickness and increased adjustment holes. I just ordered them, should have them in about a week, I'll keep you all posted as to whether or not they are any more comfortable.

V8, it also helps if you get specific about WHY people like their holsters. I've found body type makes a huge difference. I'm tall and thin, most IWB holsters grind against my bones. On the other hand, many of the larger guys here complain about OWB not keeping the handle tight enough against their body to avoid printing. These are not hard and fast rules, and certain makers can design around these issues, but in general they seem to hold.

I offer that as one example of why one holster might work for one person, but not for another. There are as many such reasons as there are people. If you move your own holster around your belt, and figure where it is most likely to work for you, then figure our what cant would work well for you at that position, you're well on your way. Then you can use this forum to ask questions of specific users about body type, lifestyle (sits in truck all day vs. stands in machine shop, etc.), and what the users actually do while carrying in their holsters.

To some extent the "drawer of holsters" is true, but you can get around much of that by considering the above issues.

do lots of adjusting. try diff things out. its a fairly versatile holster, but still just might not work out. finding the right spot isnt an easy task.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    V8,

No habla es MTAC... I'm a VM-II guy myself so don't have that problem but I did want to say welcome!
    I have a MTAC for my p229 and I love it, I wear it at about 4 o'clock. but I also have had a vm2 in the past and I have another on the way and they are my favorite by far.
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

I'm pretty slim build. It took several adjustments to get it right. Also, just wear it around the house for a week to really break in the leather. This seemed to help me. I have the newer standard clips and wound up with the back one in the middle and the front down one hole, which gave the gun a little more forward cant. I wear it in the 3:30-4:00 position, just behind my hip and carry a G27 w/o extension. In your case, you may need to go a farther with the cant. I've noticed that when I add the pearce +1 grip extension to mine, I have similar problems with sitting, but w/o it the holster works great. If all else fails, try a K&D dakota defender or a VM2. I just place an order for the K&D to give a full leather rig a try.

With the exception of a small single clip IWB holster for the Walther PPKs I don’t like IWB holsters. Instead I prefer OWB, at 4 O’clock. And I prefer leather vs composite, because over time, it shapes it’s self to your body.

V8 [OP]
    I got the new standard clips just in time for an out of state trip. I drove over three hours with the my M&P at 3:00 and other than feeling that it was there it felt great. The new clips allow for the gun to drop farther in to the pants and kept it from jabbing me in the ribs. I did however find that conceal-ability is not at as good as the 3:00 position when compared to the 4:00-5:00. A little more tweaking and I think I'll have all figured out. Thanks all!

Links