Shoulder holster help...

Shoulder holster help...

This is a discussion on Shoulder holster help... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend who is an Air Force C-17 pilot that just returned from the sandbox. He was using an inferior shoulder holster for ...

Shoulder holster help...

I have a friend who is an Air Force C-17 pilot that just returned from the sandbox. He was using an inferior shoulder holster for his issued M9 and hated it.

He wants to step up to a custom leather shoulder rig with gun and 2 mag pouches to wear over body armor. Anyone have any insight to what has worked for other deployed troops, especially pilots?

I know most of the names (Alessi, Bulman, etc.) that are out there but what would the best models be? Some have mentioned that a tanker holster is ideal but I'm not sure they are made. He doesn't have a need for concealment right now but someday he might.

Any help would be appreciated (pics would be great) so he can get on a maker's waiting list to hopefully get it before the next deployment.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

As much as I hate to say it, Galco (ugh) might be his best choice. They invented the Jackass rig years ago, and still produce it today (under another name). There would be no waiting period either. Still, I HATE shoulder holsters.

El Paso Saddlery makes a beautiful, old-school tanker harness on this page here.

A friend of mine competes in cowboy action shooting a lot and loves their leather.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Assistant Administrator
    Apart from the top (elastic) strap riding up somewhat I did find my Bianchi X-15 served very well - it's a front break style with lower belt loop option and, steel spring buried within the leather. Good retention and draw was good.

I have pics somewhere but not on hand right now. I'd still use it even now as it seemed almost ideal for me ... just the strap irritation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just got an Alessi Bodyguard and while I'm not sure shoulder carry every day is for me, it is a very well made holster and harness. This harness is just about perfect; the leather is thick and strong but not stiff. My only complaint is that the mag holder isn't molded, it's made of the same softer leather as the harness. It works well, just isn't as nice as a molded holder. If you can find one (Lightning Arms Sports carries them) it's a good choice.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I used to have one of these shoulder holsters. All leather, and pretty comfortable. I actually quit using the belt tie down, and let the pistol side swing freely while anchoring the magazine (strong side) to my belt. Used this for my previous 1911, and it felt good and natural. That was back in the days before I knew what I know now, but still not a bad choice IMO.

Thumbs up Sam Andrews!

Well, even tho my DW does not wear Body Armor, I'd highly rate this one from Sam Andrews - the Monarch:

His leather is extraordinary, and he'll take the time to talk to your friend and get the right answer for him!

Here's the link: Andrews Custom Leather

Sam has some "Off the Shelf" ready to ship too!

galco maimi classic. it is the best that i have worn. you can wear it all day and you will not know you got it on.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Are you prone to sweating a lot from your armpits? Certainly an issue to consider!

I've had good luck with my Galco Miami Classic and AF body armor. If I need to conceal it under a flight suit, I can.

Since Uncle Sam only sees fit to issue to 1 spare mag, I carry my Leatherman in the other mag pouch.

Hope this helps,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

+1 for Sam Andrews. Breaking in a Monarch rig right now myself. Set up for 1911 as bought but with additional parts so it can be converted to another pistol as well.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The Galco Vertical rig is being used a lot by the military. Mine was back ordered for 10 weeks due to military orders at the time. The Vertical rig is very comfortable while driving (do a lot each day) so I would think it would be just as comfortable flying. I carry a Beretta 90Two and the molded holster is a perfect fit. Also has a very nice dual mag pouch.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

+2 on the Monarch from Andrews.

Links