IWB 1911 Holster recomedations?

This is a discussion on IWB 1911 Holster recomedations? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for an inexpensive but practical one....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB 1911 Holster recomedations?

IWB 1911 Holster recomedations?

Looking for an inexpensive but practical one.

2. Remove Ads

I like desantis cozy partner about 50$ o not to bad a price and really really comfortable

Wink Don't Skimp!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
    There are two things which you must never do "cheap." A good gun belt and a good HOLSTER. Yes there are exotics that cost a mint and you don't need that. But a GOOD holster is going to run you $60-$100 PERIOD. I recommend, Galco, Blade Tech, Milt Sparks, DeSantis as all offering what you need. But IWB in particular requires two things:

1. COMFORT. If you're like me, those "love handles" over the years have turned into "lifting bars." That means a shield on the holster which will guard your flesh from being gouged by hammers and other pieces of protruding metal.
    2. EASE OF DRAW/REHOLSTER You've got to be able to perform a "one hand" reholster or you risk "sweeping" your own body and that presents a safety problem. The need for ease of the draw is self evident.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
    Well, which do you want? As ExSoldier said, this is not the place to skimp. The Milt Sparks Versa Max II works real well for my Commander-size 1911. I'm sure you'll be fine with any of the quality holster makers (Del Fatti, Brommeland, et al). The only "general" rule I would add is that in my experience, leather IWB holsters are more comfortable than Kydex.

SSKC

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    The only "general" rule I would add is that in my experience, leather IWB holsters are more comfortable than Kydex.SSKC
    OTOH, I have been known to fall asleep in my Lay-Z-Boy chair wearing a Blade Tech IWB and a Glock M30 which is a fat pistol. I find Blade Tech IWB's to be incredibly comfortable. I also like my Milt Sparks Summer Special and my Sam Andrews McDaniel II. The upside to those leather IWB's is that I can also wear a Browning Hi-Power fairly easily in the same holster.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I've been using a Galco Summer Special (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called.) It fits all your needs. It's practical and affordable. I believe I paid about seventy dollars for mine, and for a lot of us younger guys while that's a lot of money, it is still affordable. As for practical I've worn it all day with a Goverment Model 1911 and my back didn't hurt at the end of the day, and like ExSoldier mentioned I've fallen asleep with this holster on. Granted I am military and I've learned to sleep anywhere, anytime, under almost any condition. (Though I'm sure being ex-military he can probably do the same.)

Well, that's just my two cents. Hope it helps.

A1C Lickey

People swear by the VMII by Milt Sparks. I never owned one, but have the Milt Sparks EX for many of my guns.
    One of my guns I use a EX for is my Kimber Ultra Elite.
    It is very comfortable, and it has that all important body shield that keeps the hammer from digging in to your side.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have an IWB from Rafter S, www.raftersgunleather.com . It was right at $50 and is very comfortable. They quoted me a 3 week turnaround, but it ended up being longer than that. Wilson Combat sells the exact same holster for $70 or so.

Check with K-man (member on this forum) at www.kdholsters.com. He'll hook you up just fine.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

DC Founder
    IWB for a 1911? Talk to Gary Brommeland. I still love my MaxCon V and have forund nothing better IWB....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    Well, I've heard nothing but praise for Tucker Gunleather's Answer IWB so I ordered one and I can see why. They are not inexpensive, about $120, but I have to "amen" ExSoldier762's comments. The Answer is kind of a hybrid in that one side is soft leather and the outside part is Kydex. Unfortunately it didn't work for my application.

My #1 pick is a Fist #19 IWB in Kydex. The Kydex they use for their IWB holster could be described as paper thin. It is far thinner than any other leather or Kydex holster I have ever seen. The retention belt loops are located off the holster body on each side which enhances stability immensely and reduces material between the skin and wasitband.

I carried a 1911 in one of these to Thunder Ranch and we had to roll on the ground in some drills, hence mashing the holsters flat. The Fist Kydex IWB came right back to shape. They cost about $60 IIRC.

I've been very happy with my Ted Blocker ST-17 for my BHP (As shown in my avatar). I believe that the same holster fits the 1911.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Inexpensive?

You've just spent x thosand on your gun, don't cheap out now. It may cost you your life. Call Unke Milty Sparks

Well I am a big guy, 6'8" & 300lbs and I wish I had a body like Arnold but I dont. I tried wearing 5 different styles of inexpensive IWB style holsters and that was a total wast of time and money. I conceded to the comfort but not the concealability of a couple of good OWB's. I frequent several gun forums and one name kept coming up again and again. Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. So I finally bit the bullet and bought it. I figured if it did'nt work out I could sell it at any gunshow here in Texas, since everyone seems to love them. Well let me tell you...I was extremely suprised at just how comfortable this holster could be while carrying my Springer Champion. I have worn the holster with the gun in it for 6 consecutive days now and I literally forget I have the darn thing on. This holster is worth every penny I paid for it. Mine is black without the fancy shark trim.....I'm kinda simple that way. I plan on buying one for my full size 1911's next.

Great holster.....thank you Mr. Sparks for truly showing me what fine craftsmanship can do for the consumer.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

VIP Member
    Although I haven't gotten the holster I ordered yet (so I don't know how nice they are in person), check out the holsters made at Graham's Custom Gun Leather.

I'm purchasing their Blackbird IWB for a Steyr M40....$49 base price...with a sweat shield which is a $5 add on.

I'll report on it when I receive it.....I've heard Graham's leather work is excellent though....if my upcoming holster is really good then I plan on ordering a few more Blackbirds for other guns of mine.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Blade-Tech. I love mine.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links