Opinion on Mernickle Holsters

This is a discussion on Opinion on Mernickle Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at their PS6 high ride with 0 cant. A friend has one and it seems to be well made and they ...

Thread: Opinion on Mernickle Holsters

Opinion on Mernickle Holsters

I have been looking at their PS6 high ride with 0 cant. A friend has one and it seems to be well made and they would customize from normal cant at no charge. I happen to like appendix carry. It will be for my SIG P239. Has anyone out there give me pro's and con's.

2. Remove Ads

I have one PS2 IWB, two cowboy rigs, and three double-thick dress belts from mernickle. I've wore one of his paddles, and my bro's have a couple of the PS6's.

That said - He's a great guy who runs a great business and the holsters are very well made - not at all designed like everyone else's which shows that he's really thought out how a holster is supposed to work and perform. Retention and presentation are nicely balanced.

Criticisms - I think the PS2 is just a little 'thick' for a carry holster and in general I'm not sure that concealment is really his market - that said I carry a Kahr in his PS2 all the time w/o any trouble.

Regarding your specific holster - High rides are made for only one reason - that is so when you wear a gun with a five or six inch barrel it doesn't get pushed upwards when you sit down. An unintended plus for high rides is that if you have an 'inner tube' you can wear a high-ride easier than a low ride. If your weight is relatively normal and you will be carrying a gun with a four or three inch barrel then high ride probably isn't a great choice, it isn't as concealable, it is more prone to wiggling because the center of gravity is high. I can see how zero cant would be necessary for your 2:00 position ...

As an aside I'd love to read more posts about appendix carry ...

The only problem I've had with Mernickel's product is that the back of their belt is not sealed and transfers the tan/yellowish color onto whatever pants I'm wearing.

It happens summer or winter, so it's not a "sweat" kind of thing. The color washes out in the laundry, but it's pretty annoying.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

Red face Mernickle Holster Opinion

I ordered a Mernickle Holster for my Ruger Single Six. When it arrived I also found a Mernickle Hat enclosed in the box. What do I think of Mernickle Holsters? Well, I painted my porch wearing my Mernickle Hat! Except for the Long Haired Duffis on the front, it's a good hat. It was made in China. I don't know where the holster was made. Probably the same. Does anyone know for sure? The holster is fine. I like the highride. Worth the money and order delay problems? You bet. Are the Mernickle Holster People honest and friendly? Forget all that and just go for their fine quality holsters. Try for something more, and like me, you may be disappointed!
    Last edited by Drummond; August 29th, 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Administrator
    Let's not let an Internet falsehood get started. The free hat you got (I'm sure) was Made In China as probably 99% of them are these days but, Bob Mernickle is a holster maker and has been making them for years so his holsters are not made in China. They are made in Nevada.
    The Mernickle family is very involved in the shooting sports and they are incredibly nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I ordered a Mernickle Holster for my Ruger Single Six. When it arrived I also found a Mernickle Hat enclosed in the box. What do I think of Mernickle Holsters? Well, I painted my porch wearing my Mernickle Hat! Except for the Long Haired Duffis on the front, it's a good hat. It was made in China. I don't know where the holster was made. Probably the same. Does anyone know for sure? The holster is fine. I like the highride. Worth the money and order delay problems? You bet. Are the Mernickle Holster People honest and friendly? Forget all that and just go for their fine quality holsters. Try for something more, and like me, you may be disappointed!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thumbs up

+1 on high quality and kind folks!
    My bride has a Mernickle cowboy action rig and it is the best I have ever seen!
    If it's Mernickle, it's quality!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Mernickle High Ride PS6-SA from Drummond

I have to admit I was wrong to suggest or question that Mernickle holsters are made somewhere else! The Mernickle Holster for my Ruger Single-Six model PS6-SA is made in the good old USA! After wearing it for a while, I am pleased to say it is possibly the best holster I have ever owned! It draws quick, highrides tight against the body, and after a while I forget it's even there. It is one of the few holsters I have encountered that is truely comfortable while standing or sitting! It is also well made! I E-Mailed Bob Mernickle and said so. I would recommend this holster to anyone with a single action revolver! Each holster is custom made for exact fit for each brand, caliber, and barrel length of handgun! Thank you! I still don't like the hat though! Drummond

Links