Gun/Holster Combo, your thoughts

This is a discussion on Gun/Holster Combo, your thoughts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after much research I've come to the conclusion that the best holster for me(carrying a Sig 229) would be an IWB type with a ...

Thread: Gun/Holster Combo, your thoughts

So after much research I've come to the conclusion that the best holster for me(carrying a Sig 229) would be an IWB type with a good clip(So I could adjust or take off when needed easily), rough side outside preferred.

What I decided upon is a highnoonholsters Down_Under_w_clip

I like the fact that the gun rides low, it has a solid belt clip, rough side out leather, and a tension screw. It looks quite durable also.

Does anyone have experience with this combo, or this brand of holsters. Is there something else I should be looking at closely that meets my requirements? Thoughts?

Thanks for your inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    So after much research I've come to the conclusion that the best holster for me(carrying a Sig 229) would be an IWB type with a good clip(So I could adjust or take off when needed easily), rough side outside preferred.

I like the fact that the gun rides low, it has a solid belt clip, rough side out leather, and a tension screw. It looks quite durable also.

Does anyone have experience with this combo, or this brand of holsters. Is there something else I should be looking at closely that meets my requirements? Thoughts?

Thanks for your inputs.
    Are you going to be wearing this somewhere near 3'o clock? With almost zero cant, it'll be difficult to draw if you move this to 4'o clock and beyond.

What do you alot of when you are out and about? Walking? standing? sitting? I'm sitting down or driving alot and I find that 3'o clock is my most comfortable position.

Also check these out.

FIST, INC.

#1 and #2, alot affordable. I wouldn't pay $80 for a clip based holster unless it provided a means to adjust cant.

I was personally looking at
    FIST, INC.

Allows for IWB or OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobeGuy View Post
    I wouldn't pay $80 for a clip based holster unless it provided a means to adjust cant.
    It has a 15 Deg cant...how much cant would be needed if I moved it to 4:00 or beyond? I think I'll probably carry somewhere between 3-4:00 (I'm a first timer).

Alternative suggestion...

I have a Sig P229 and it is an excellent gun, although rather thick across the slide. If you carry it in a leather holster with a belt clip directly over the gun, it will make a significant "bump" on your side because of all the layers stacked up, one on top of the other.

One way to alleviate this is to go with a holster in which the belt clips are offset from the gun so they don't add to the thickness of the gun. Having two belt clips, on either side of the gun, will also give better support and stability than a single belt clip.

You might also consider a kydex holster, such as that made by the company Comp-Tac. The kydex holster body is of thinner material than leather, again reducing thickness of the whole package.

Comp-Tac website

Comp-Tac makes a very popular holster called the C-Tac, which is shown below and sells for $75. It can be adjusted in many different ways to vary the cant angle and how low the holster sits in the waistband.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

It has a 15 Deg cant...how much cant would be needed if I moved it to 4:00 or beyond? I think I'll probably carry somewhere between 3-4:00 (I'm a first timer).
    I thought it had almost zero cant, my mistake. With 15 degree cant it should be comfy to draw from 4 and little awkward at 3 (at least this is the case with me, I prefer straight (zero) cant at 3).

Would a nandrewsleather-macdaniel2 be a better option? It is also one of my finalists. I like the torque plate(Does this help a lot?), and it looks slimmer, but not as easy to get on and off.

Should ease of taking on and off even be one of my criteria??

I'm personally not a fan of single clip holsters. In my experience, they haven't given me the stability that I like. I also found that placing the clip (or any other attachment) on the holster itself, decreases the concealability for me since it adds additional thickness to what is already the thickest part of the holster/gun combo.

My preference is for a holster utilizing 2 separate attachment points.....either loops or clips. Much more stable, flatter to the body, and depending on the one you choose, easily adjustable for cant. The one that I use most often is the crossbreed supertuck, but there are lots to choose from. My .02.

I do carry me P229 occasionally and I use a UBG Canute to do so. It is the offset loop design mentioned above which means that the snap loops are located forward and aft of the gun. I gotta admit, the P229 is an EXCELLENT handgun but it is rather thick, I would stay away from holsters that have a clip or loops directly over the gun.

Here are several holster suggestions (in no particular order)
    1. UBG Canute - I currently own one
    2. Milt Sparks VM2
    3. Brigade Gunleather M11
    4. Brommeland Max-Con V - My favorite holster, I have one for my Kahr PM9 and it is absolutely great!!!
    5. Del Fatti ISP-LP - probably the most gorgeous holster around.....I would order one for my P229 but I'm afraid I might have a different carry gun when it arrives (current wait is 18-24 months but from what I hear it is really worth the wait)

PM me if you have additional questions, I'd love to help a fellow Sig packer!

Thanks for your inputs.
    I own this holster... it is excellent, but like all single clip holsters, it has a "sweet spot" where it works, and everywhere else it moves around as the day goes on. You'll need to wear it between your front hip bone and your buttocks... a natural soft spot on all but the most obese that will firmly plant the gun in one spot. On me, this is about 3:30 and works great. The 15 degree cant is more than enough, and the workmanship from highnoon is outstanding.

You are going to find everyone has different preferences. I own some galcos, some highnoons, and a blackhawk cqc. They are all good holsters... it boils down to personal preference, body shape and attire. There's a good chance you will buy several holsters before finding one you wear a lot, but if you are lucky, you will use all of them some of the time.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    I have a HighNoon Split Decision, that I like very much.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Although I prefer OWB...for IWB, I would recommend El Paso...I have one and I love it.

picture represents a bottom feeder:

El Paso Saddlery - Holsters

I have one for my revolver.

The single belt loop and rough side-out leather holster is very stable, rides with you as you walk/sit/crouch, etc.

Last edited by dawgfvr; January 24th, 2008 at 01:55 AM.

I carry a 229.

You are going to want something with loops to the sides. The gun is just too thick to go adding any more than necessary.

You are also going to want something close to 20 degrees of cant to conceal the butt well. Preferably at 4:30ish

I recommend a VM-II, UBG Canute, or something similar.

If you get a straight cant or wear a 229 at 3 o'clock, you are going to need some significant cover gear.

As a rangemaster and instructor, I can't tell you how many times I've seen "clip" holsters come right off the belt with the weapon still inside, especially the cheapie single metal clip jobs. I too don't like the bulk of the belt loops directly over the weapon. My choices spread the weight out ON THE BELT and provide a secure, consistent platform. My favorites are the Sparks VM2 and Brommeland's Max-Con V.

I throw in another vote for the Comp Tac line of holsters. I really like kydex over leather. But this is just my opinion. Best of luck!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sponsored Links