Best IWB Holster for CCW Range Practice

This is a discussion on Best IWB Holster for CCW Range Practice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger SP-101 3" for CCW. What do you think is the best IWB holster for a great deal of CCW range practice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best IWB Holster for CCW Range Practice

I have a Ruger SP-101 3" for CCW.

What do you think is the best IWB holster for a great deal of CCW range practice (drawing and firing, over and over again)? I am looking for a holster that is comfortable and concealable, but easy to reholster.

I once had a Bianchi IWB synthetic holster that was fine for concealment and drawing, but when it came to reholstering a PPK, I had great difficulty because the holster would collapse like a pancake (unreinforced mouth).

I would like to hear your suggestions.

Comp-Tac CTAC

Very fast to draw and reholster.

Yup, kydex from comp-tac or blade-tech would probably work best. A reinforced mouth on the holster like a sparks VMII or summer special will work too.

Didn't I already answer this, or was it in another forum?

Milt Sparks Summer Special II with a Milt Sparks or a Bruce Gibson Belt. I draw repeatedly from my holster at the range, twice monthly. I find the SSII to be purrfectomundo!

Biker

Yes, BikerRN, you did answer it in another forum. And thank you very much for your answer.

I will usually post an issue that I consider to be an important across two or three different forums in order to get a good cross-section of expert opinion.

JSM

I'm new to this game but I would think the best holster to practice from would be the one you're using to carry on a daily basis.

I'm with you chevy...practice with what you'll carry. The gamers can do all the phony kydex they want, but ask them if that's what they want to carry daily!

I will usually post an issue that I consider to be an important across two or three different forums in order to get a good cross-section of expert opinion.

JSM
    I am far from being an expert.

I am merely a student of the gun and blade.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropped_71chevy View Post
    I'm new to this game but I would think the best holster to practice from would be the one you're using to carry on a daily basis.
    +1

Not practicing with your EDC is a bad idea.

Sparks VM2. It won't collapse.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Don't mean to be smart, but wouldn't the best range practice holster be the one you carry with on a daily basis....or is the question what holster should I get to stand up to daily wear and tear and the practice and rigors of training?....Many of the quality makers have some great designs, and if reviewing the holsters section of this site you will find the makers that majority prefer.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'm with you chevy...practice with what you'll carry. The gamers can do all the phony kydex they want, but ask them if that's what they want to carry daily!
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is "phony" Kydex, and how does it relate to gaming?

I carry a hybrid holster daily. Someone suggested the Comp-Tac CTAC to the OP, and I would just add that the MTAC will stay open for reholstering as well. I use a Crossbreed, which is just about the same as the MTAC with only minor differences that appeal to personal preference rather than hard functionality. I don't own an IWB leather holster with a reinforced mouth so I can't comment on how well they stay open, except to say that I have no doubt at all that the folks who have 'em, use 'em and swear by 'em are every bit as capable of deciding for themselves what works best for them as I am, or as the OP will be after scrutinizing all these suggestions for conformity to his/her needs according to his/her own criteria.

Now, I'm hoping that all Kydex isn't "phony" because I am expecting an all-Kydex IWB holster to be delivered this week. Actually, it's an IWB, an OWB and a slide holster all in one made by Raven Concealment. It has modular mounts so I can attach the V-Clips and wear it just like my Crossbreed, or attach the belt loops to make it more like a standard pancake design, or attach nothing and just use the built-in belt slot for a standard slide holster. It's for a different gun than my Crossbreed carries, and if it's anywhere near as comfortable, concealable, as accessible and has as good of retention as the CB, it will allow me to carry the gun I would much rather carry, which by the way, almost no leather holster makers make one for that model gun.

Lawdy, Lawdy, I sho' 'nuff do hope I didn't go and throw my money away on a bag full of phony Kydex! If I did though, are there any gamers out there who might want to buy it (for what I have no Earthly idea)?

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

I love my IWB from Concealco for my SP 101.

VIP Member
    The one you CCW in!

I use a VM-II.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A range that lets you practice draw and fire? That is a new one on me.

Anyhow, use the holster that you carry daily. Even a slight difference in ride height, cant and clocking will screw you up when it comes to a different holster (been there, done that).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links