Concealing G19 while riding a bicycle

This is a discussion on Concealing G19 while riding a bicycle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Florida we are allowed to conceal carry while visiting wildlife and other state of Florida managed property. I like to ride my off road ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealing G19 while riding a bicycle

Concealing G19 while riding a bicycle

In Florida we are allowed to conceal carry while visiting wildlife and other state of Florida managed property. I like to ride my off road bicycle on these wilderness trails.

Most of the time, Im warring shorts, and T-shirt, but would love to bring along the Glock 19 instead of a mouse gun.

Any ideas for a holster or pouch that will conceal, yet allow for quick access, and not be heavy.

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

Most bike shops sell race-type jerseys with zippered/velcroed pouches on your stomach and kidneys.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

M2
    That's gonna be tough, I also ride mountain bikes and to be honest I don't think you'll be able to easily carry a full-sized semi-auto. For one, I know the trails in Florida aren't as rough as they are here in Texas (where everything seems to be rock); but there is still a good chance that you and your weapon will be bouncing around quite a bit, which means there is a liklihood it can be knocked loose. Secondly, the risk of falling have to be considered.

All that said, I think the best option would be a fanny pack especially made to carry a handgun. I have one and whereas I won't wear it in public (too obvious, who wears fanny packs in the US anymore?), I don't think it would stand out too bad on a mountain bike. As long as it is a sturdy one, you should be OK. I believe any other holster would just be a bad idea, and bike jerseys are too light to be able to handle such a heavy object well. Plus, as the jerseys I have are pretty tightly fitted, there is a strong chance that the weapon will print and it will be quite obvious to what it is.

Just some thoughts, let us know what you decide.

Cheers! M2

Senior Moderator
    Camelback Goblin - kills two birds with one stone, and nobody would look twice at it on a cyclist.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Our member TN_Mike carries his Glock when biking all the time, but in his case, open carry is an option. With the amount of movement and sweat generated, I'd shy away from leather, and lean toward kydex, and possibly a retention holster. Blackhawk makes a concealment kydex holster with their Serpa lock, you might want to look into it. As far as cover garments go, a light windbreaker shell or a longer t-shirt would probably work. You're not breaking any land speed records on a mountain bike.

M2
    I grew up in Florida and went to school in the central part of the state. The humidity pretty much rules out the wearing of a windbreaker 9 months out of the year!

I would go with a fanny pack designed to carry a handgun, such as something like this one. There are numerous ones out there, here's a selection.

Cheers! M2

I always carry while mountain biking. I wear a fanny pack with extra clothing, first aid, phone etc. But I carry my Glock 30 or 27 or Kimber 3' in a waist pack that I got at REI. The waist pack can be rotated to the front, side or back, depending on the threat level. REI has a lot of different packs to choose from.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Go to thewilderness.com, and look at the Safepacker. It is not a complete fanny pack type of thing, but is worn on a belt or pack strap. I wear bike shorts or pants with belt loops, and have regularly carried an SP101 in my smaller Safepacker, and up to a 4" sixgun in my larger one. That should mean a G23 would be easy to tote. Edited to add: The Safepacker was originally designed to be compatible with packs!

Administrator
    I too think the best option is in a pack. Its the only time I carry like this, and works well. Just make sure it stays attached to you. I am often tempted to strap mine down to my 'zuki on hot days... dont do it. I am a dirt bike rider and get into some way far out places on the trail... carrying is a must. I take along a G19 or 23.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I know this may be pushing it a bit, but

I just noticed this holster on Kramer website. Would this be considered concealed since the pistol is totally encased in the holster? Not for around town, just for riding off-road

At one time, I think Blackhawk made a holster that was worn in the center of your chest - I can't remember what they designed it for specifically, but when I saw it, I thought of bicycle riding. Might be worth a look if you don't want anything on your waist.

The fannypack/beltpack is perfect for this. As has been posted already, it will fit in perfectly on a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Camelback Goblin - kills two birds with one stone, and nobody would look twice at it on a cyclist.

Matt
    plus one on the fanny bag. go to wal mart and look at the color ones. you can find one that will fit your gun. the blacks ones that are for guns look and say "i got a gun in here". lived many mango season in florida and you learn how to blend in with you gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    At one time, I think Blackhawk made a holster that was worn in the center of your chest - I can't remember what they designed it for specifically, but when I saw it, I thought of bicycle riding. Might be worth a look if you don't want anything on your waist.
    Yeah, the model is the Sahara Strider. I'm not sure where the best place to get it if you are interested is, but from a quick search here is what it looks like:

BlackHawk 55SS00 - Sahara Strider

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Something with a retention device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links