Custom holster order no-shows

This is a discussion on Custom holster order no-shows within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What happens when custom holster orders do not get paid for? My curiosity is that I am looking for a holster for either my XD9 ...

Thread: Custom holster order no-shows

Custom holster order no-shows

What happens when custom holster orders do not get paid for? My curiosity is that I am looking for a holster for either my XD9 or J-frame.
    How often do custom makers have orders that don't get purchased and how do they find customers for the orphaned holsters. More to the point how do I get one for myself, any information regarding my question would be greatly appreciated.

James

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    That would be pure luck. I'm guessing that if it's a common pistol, somebody will order a holster for it soon enough. If your the lucky one that calls first, you get it quick. I know some makers put a for sale page on their sites. I NEVER get lucky that way.

Goes to the next person on their list who wanted one, or if no one, posted for sale or held onto until someone does order.

-From what I have seen

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    If it's one of the big names (Alessi, Sparks, Del Fatti, etc.) they have no trouble getting rid of it. I wish the guy in front of me in line at Lou Alessi would not pay for his so I could get mine early.

Don't blame you one bit. I'll always look for possible discounts where I see possibilities. "Orphaned holsters" usually show up at my local gun shop in the bargain bin. I've never come across something I need there, and I don't think anyone else does for that matter. I think those are there just to enhance the aura of the place actually. One fact remains however-----it never hurts to ask!

not easy to find real good deals on holsters.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Seems that when I have ordered a custom holster I have to pay up front.
    With that being said there is very little chance of a no show....

Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    What happens when custom holster orders do not get paid for? My curiosity is that I am looking for a holster for either my XD9 or J-frame.
    How often do custom makers have orders that don't get purchased and how do they find customers for the orphaned holsters. More to the point how do I get one for myself, any information regarding my question would be greatly appreciated.

James
    With us, it goes to the next person already in line with the same order specs. We don't get too many cancelled or unclaimed orders, but when we do, I tell the guys to make damn sure they check it against all existing orders before they offer it to the next caller.

Thats the beauty of modern technology. I can plug the unclaimed, holster specs into my database and find a new home in a matter of minutes. Beats the old way of having to thumb through six months worth of orders, one at a time.
    Second Best is not an option

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Speaking only for myself and since my only custom order was for an odd ball gun i pre paid . I just felt it moral to give the smith the bucks for the holster before he crafted it , and for the record kevin at k&d did not let me down .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ramrod my interest is not really in finding a deal on a custom holster, my goal was the availability. As well to see how makers dealt with these no-shows. I am far more impatient than I am frugal. I know I can go to Lightning Arms to get a custom now; this was where I got my Kahr's VMII that I like so much. I just wanted to know if you could call a maker and see if they occasionally had anything available without the wait. It would appear that those opportunities are few and far between however. It is interesting nonetheless to see how various makers deal with them. Thanks.

James

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    What Tony said. Check to see if anyone else has ordered it, then up for sale.

I don't have the sweet database he has, but I don't have the billions of orders to "thumb" through that he has, either. :)

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

It also depends on how holster makers do their business. I will be trying to build up an inventory for going to a gun show in March so that I can have enough product to make it worth while.

Note: I start holsters when the payment arrives FIFO so there is a real customer attached to the holster. Opportunity cost is lower and time to ship for real customers is faster.

I just sold my extra IWB J-frame holster a couple of days ago. Sorry
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I'd say check the FOR SALE heading on the websites of the makers that interest you. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find they have on on hand that is just what you wanted. It actually happened to me..... ONCE.

Links