Defensive Carry banner

When ordering a holster

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JerryM 
#1 ·
Make sure the maker knows the thickness in addition to the width of your belt.

I recently received a double 1911 magazine holder from a well known and well thought of maker. He got it to me in a very short time.
However, my double thickness belts will not pass through the belt slots. My EL Paso Saddlery belts can be forced through with some scratches on the belt. My RafterS belts will not even begin to pass through the belt slots.

I happen to have a friend here that does some leather work when he has time, and he will open the slots enough to get the RafterS belts through.
I do not desire to return the carrier, but will call the maker for information, and suggest that he have a place in the ordering info to state the thickness of the belt.

I am using the 1.25 inch RafterS belts after finding that the 1.5 inch would not pass through my top holsters. The holsters had an exactly 1.5 inch slot, and the belt was exactly 1.5 inch. The belt was too stiff to squeeze through the slots by bending it along the long axis. Other belts would bend enough to go through, but not the RafterS belt.

Just info FWIW. Also posted on The High Road forums

Regards,
Jerry

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been waiting about a month on my custom made double thickness belt from a local vendor. We've had calls back and forth every week. I specified the 1 1/2" belt to begin with, then they couldn't procure the buckle. We settled on what he could get, and that was 1 1/4". Waited a few days over the MLK holiday for shipment, but not available! I finally found a buckle to take to their shop a couple days ago, he had my belt almost ready at 1 1/4". The buckle I had was 1 1/2". To make a long story short, I'm getting both. The 1 1/4" he had finished will have a snap for over the tongue and I can find another buckle later that will fit it well. He's making the 1 1/2" currently for the buckle I found but he could not. Custom things do take time no doubt. I'm taking them both and hoping for a little discount for the delay and unavailability of the buckle. I'll go this upcoming week with a hundred dollar bill in hopes of coming away with twenty. I should with all reason have two belts ready, willing, and able to support any of my carry options--IWB or OWB. Things aren't always as bad as they seem to be at first. {have you tried wax to get the belt through?} IMO adaptability is our best human virtue. Good luck conquering your issues.

#4 ·
Hi Jerry,
I can understand your frustration, but perhaps it would be better for some of these belt specialty outfits to be more in line with the makers whose holsters will actually be worn on them?

Thickness isn't so much what matters in a gunbelt, but torsional strength and stiffness and the belts ability to maintain that over a long period of time.

The above can be achieved with a belt of substantially less volume than what is currently being sold by some as a gunbelt. This is not a criticism of the apparent high quality of the product itself, so much as the overkill that is sometimes incorportated into it.

Like AZ said, if you order your complete rig from the same manufacturer, you should expect a guaranteed fit.

#5 ·
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply, and I do not disagree with anything you said.
I would say, however, that I have many holsters and from several makers. I sure would hate to have to buy a belt from each holster maker.

It is true that some belts are probably too thick, but generally the slots in the holster will accomodate them. I will just have to remember to state the belt thickness when I order another holster.

Regards,
Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.